Fenix TK20 vs Quark AA (AA^2) Neutral

Nickyan

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I've searched and read a bunch of threads on the two lights mentioned, and found a lot of information. I want a warm tint LED light for various outside activities, camping, diving, geocaching. From what I read, it basically boils down to these two lights.

I didn't find a side by side comparison though. Would be great to see the size, beamshots and possibly runtimes side by side.

TK20 seems sturdier, but is heavier. The Quark seems to have more versatility, especially because all the Quark parts fit (e.g. 18650 body).

Any thoughts and even better, pictures?

You're input is highly appreciated! Thanks!

Greetings from Germany

Last edited:

flasherByNight

Enlightened
tk20 from all the reviews I've read sound bomb proof, so if you're rough on your toys I'd suggest that one.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi!

I've searched and read a bunch of threads on the two lights mentioned, and found a lot of information. I want a warm tint LED light for various outside activities, camping, diving, geocaching. From what I read, it basically boils down to these two lights.

I didn't find a side by side comparison though. Would be great to see the size, beamshots and possibly runtimes side by side.

TK20 seems sturdier, but is heavier. The Quark seems to have more versatility, especially because all the Quark parts fit (e.g. 18650 body).

Any thoughts and even better, pictures?

You're input is highly appreciated! Thanks!

Greetings from Germany

Hi Nickyan,

If you asked for some comparison side-by-side between TK20 and AA2 I have at least a beamshot comparison in this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/241442

Regards, Patric

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK20 review (and pics): https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212657

I love mine... hehe.

I have one Quark AA. I love it too, but I don´t know the output of the 2xAA Quark, sorry...

Fenix TK20 is definitely a thrower! Outstanding for outdoor use, but sometimes I wish it could have more light spill on regular mode...

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have beamshots from both lights and from many other here.

But there are many differences between them, TK20 has two levels and much better throw, a solid construction with a rubber grip.
Quark AA2 has 5 levels, including a very low level and is much more slimline in construction.

Nickyan

Newly Enlightened
Hey!

Thanks a bunch for the replies! Took me quite a while to read through them all. @ HKJ: Impressive collection of beamshots. :twothumbs Glad to see my EZ123 and EX10 and D20 and TK11 in there.

Hi Nickyan,

If you asked for some comparison side-by-side between TK20 and AA2 I have at least a beamshot comparison in this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=241442

Regards, Patric
That was exactly what I was looking for!

Hard decision...:sigh:

I think I'll go with the Quark for now. Mainly cause of the modes, sleeker size and Quark Family compatibility. Not saying that I won't get the TK20 at some point for when the going gets tough :naughty: Would like to know the runtime of the Quark NW head with the 18650 body. Should get 2.5+h on max.

Kinda makes me want to sell my TK11 and D20 and H60 and change them for warm tint models. :banghead:

All the discussion bout the tint makes me wonder if I should mod my dive lights to a warmer color temp. Might be a different ballgame under water though. I'll check in the subforum.

Keep up the great work! Thanks!

Egsise

Banned
I have TK20 and Quark AA neutral white.
Quark AA with 14500 Li-ion is the same brightness as TK20 with 2xAA, measured with my lightbox.

The Quark is more versatile, but TK20 is superior in build quality.
TK20 threads are smooth and o-rings are the right size, Quark threads are not so smooth and the o-rings are too big.

To me TK20 is the one that gets used more at outdoors, it's so easy to use it even with your gloves on.

Nickyan

Newly Enlightened
I have TK20 and Quark AA neutral white.
Quark AA with 14500 Li-ion is the same brightness as TK20 with 2xAA, measured with my lightbox.

Thanks! That's great news. Put me over the edge to order a Quark. :thumbsup: I'll get an AA^2 or 18650 body at some point. And a turbo head, and, and, and... :whistle: :broke:

As I said, no reason to not buy an TK20 for when I need the extra durability, e.g. in summer for caching, camping and hikes. Not going to be out too much and too long in the German winter.

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Way past bedtime here... :tired:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ressurrection...

Can someone help me ?

I´m searching for beamshots between Fenix TK20 and Quark Turbo 2xAA in "turbo" mode.

Also, I would like a picture of both lights in a hand shot, just to have a real perspective of it´s size (comparison).

I have one Fenix TK20, but I´m thinking to get one Quark Turbo AA.

Thanks in advance for your help! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I don't have pictures but can tell you that the Turbo is about the same length as the TK20 but its body feels narrower in the hand than the fenix. QT head is a bit narrower too. The Quark to me feels more like a conventional torch where my TK20 feels more like, well, a chicken drumstick to be honest.

My hands could never come to terms with the fact that the handle of the fenix is tapered and my turbos have a much nicer feel in the hands with great knurling.

The tints on the two a verrrrry different (love my turbos, hate my fenix) and the fenix has better fit and finish with the best feeling threads around.

Egsise

Banned
I see that my beamshots were not mentioned here..

TK20 vs QAAw with 14500, lumens are lightbox guessimates

47 Quark AAw 14500 150lm...Fenix TK20 150lm

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
I see that my beamshots were not mentioned here..

TK20 vs QAAw with 14500, lumens are lightbox guessimates

47 Quark AAw 14500 150lm...Fenix TK20 150lm

Those photos are so different from each other that it seems like the TK20 and the AAw are suited for for two different purposes:

In the AAw photo there's a decent amount of foreground illumination; but the AAw seems to excel at lighting up the terrain at a great distance from you

In the TK20 photo, the TK20 seems like it's best suited for lighting up really well the terrain nearby you

Last edited:

Egsise

Banned
QAAw spill and hotspot are wider, but throws less than TK20 spill and hotspot.

Aim of those two beamshots is not very good, TK20 hotspot disappears in to the distance and QAAw is pointed too low.

In real world usage the beam shape differences are really small.
For outdoor use with gloves on the TK20 rubber grip and partially recessed forward clicky is a clear winner for me.

shark_za

Enlightened
I'm playing catchup with neutral emitters and have just ordered a TK20 to compare with my neutral Quark 0.9-4.2v.

I figure I can always load it with L91's and just leave it in my car or in my bikes topbox if I don't like it all that much. A handy torch to let others use? A tough camping light?
Is the TK20 still relevant today?

Anyone got throw comparisons between the TK20 and the Solarforce 2xAA ?
Or will that be my first task?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone got throw comparisons between the TK20 and the Solarforce 2xAA ?
Or will that be my first task?

I just compared my Solarforce 2AA to my TK20, and the hotspot of TK20 seems brighter. When holding the lights to the lightmeter at the same distance the lightmeter confirms that TK20 has brighter hotspot. But it has higher total output as well.

Yes, I really think so. It only misses a real low mode, in my opinion.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

jankj

Enlightened
I'm playing catchup with neutral emitters and have just ordered a TK20 to compare with my neutral Quark 0.9-4.2v.

I'm looking forward to that.

I've done a side-by-side comparison of the fenix LD20 and TK20. They were pretty close in real life comparison, IMO. But then again, I don't expect miracles when I try to spot targets beyond 100 yards. They're both fine up to that mark, and both tapers off pretty quick somewhere around the 150 yards distance. But I remember that I much prefered the TK20 tint to the LD20.

And I've compared the LD20 to the quark AA^2 neutral for quite some time. Quark wins, hands down, because of the tint. Throw - can't really see much difference in real life performance. As in: "How far away can I reliably spot that fence post? How far away can I actually see what it is?". The quark wins, side by side, due to smaller hot spot size (more intense) and the beam tint, but the difference is not really that big. That being said, the LD20 big juicy hot spot is really comfortable to work with.

My guess is therefore that you won't see much real life difference for maximum throw between TK20 and the discontinued quark AA^2 neutral.

However, turbo mode is needed only a small fraction of the time. For lower modes, the quark wins hands down. (The fenix has a turbo mode and a almost-as-bright mode). It would be a much more versatile light if it had a lower "low" mode.

For normal use, the fenix TK20 does not really have to be that big and beefy. The fenix TK20 is more comfortable to hold and operate with thick mittens or gloves, but I have no problems doing the same with the quark.

Both lights are close to indestructible. For me, the fact that TK20 is more indestructible than quark is of theoretical interest only. YMMW.

I figure I can always load it with L91's and just leave it in my car or in my bikes topbox if I don't like it all that much. A handy torch to let others use? A tough camping light?

Yes to all of the above. Although I would rather carry a small than a big and heavy light, there is something substantial about the size of a TK20. Lend it out and they won't forget they're carrying around that one... Less risk of someone doing the "forget I put it in my pocket" and walk away with it.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got both lights and would buy both lights again.

If I lost one light and could never buy it again, I don't want it to be the TK20.

The TK20 gets used daily and sits in the top tray of my toolbox where I can see it when I'm working. Ah, sweet love. It's all scratched up, mostly because I tried to kill it, but it looks just right with all the black missing from the edges and a few good dents.

You put it in your hand, and even though you know it's not the best beam profile, or the brightest, you just love using it.

If there were one thing I'd change about it, it would have a very slight o/p reflector, just to take the edge off the hotspot. Something like what's in an SR3.

jcw122

Enlightened
You might also want to consider Quark's new Warm limited runs, the output should be higher than the Quark NWs, and more efficient.

Also, you may want to compare UI and brightness setting features, not just build and output.