Charging silver-oxide cells?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought silver-oxide cells were primary only, but this page on the wikipedia says you can use them as secondaries.
Is this true? If it is, do you just put 1.86 volts across them or do they need special charging?

Thanks.

Gryloc

Enlightened
My friend had some luck charging these button cells with a 12V wall wart. He showed me this a few years ago. Sure these things get very hot and it is dangerous, but it does work somewhat. They don't charge like new, but it does bring the open-circuit voltage up a bit. I think that some can power little LED lights, too. I tried it with the same results.

I forgot if this works on the small button cells, or coin cells (or both). Well, guard your face or stay back when trying it (and do not hold them). It is a great way to bring them back slightly for emergency use. Be careful, and good luck!

-Tony

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought silver-oxide cells were primary only, but this page on the wikipedia says you can use them as secondaries.
Is this true? If it is, do you just put 1.86 volts across them or do they need special charging?

Thanks.

Silver oxide button cells are not rechargeable. Although Wikipedia can be a valuable resource, it should not be used as a sole source for critical facts. Applying any home brewed charging technique to these cells, can be very hazardous. There is a real chance of explosion or fire. Also a chance that these small metal objects can become a projectile.

Maybe use the information from Energizer's PSDS as a guide:

Charging: This battery is manufactured in a charged state. It is not designed for recharging. Recharging can cause battery leakage or, in some cases, high pressure rupture. Inadvertent charging can occur if a battery is installed backwards.

Please be careful.

Mark

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought (and still have 25 years later) a CatEye solar bike computer. It came with two LR44 sized cells that were supposedly rechargable. I think they claimed to be silver oxide.

After they finally died I put in regular cells and added a switch to select battery or solar (the battery to boot it up and solar once I'm out in the daylight).

Greg

Latest posts