How many lumens does 60w incandescent do.

JeffInChi

Enlightened
I'm NO expert on the subject, but I'll try and add my .02 :thinking:

By "do", do you mean produce/emitt?

It would depend on the light. Generally speaking, I have heard that a 60w incandescent bulb will probably produce around 1000-1200 lumens of light - depending on the type of filament.

In regards to the light you are looking to purchase....

You should consider things like color rendition and bulb temperature. Some people say that they would rather have 500 lumens of a "warmer" type light than 1000 lumens of a very "cool" type light (blueish hue). If you are using this light for a closet, you may want something with good color renditon, so you can spot a red shirt over a purple one easily or you don't grab your navy blue pants instead of your black ones.

This is one "unique", but ugly looking bulb. I also wonder what the quality of the l.e.d.'s this bulb is using, and how long they will last.

Why spend almost $40 on an bulb of unknown quality when you can spend $3 on a cfl bulb with a warm/neutral tint that has already proven to work well? They save just as much $, last around 5 years, and come in a couple of different color temps/"tints".

BTW, i'm looking at the reviews, and it seems like this light is designed for a 180v-240v system, is that the application you need it for? many of the reviewers that purchase this light are taking it apart, tweaking it, and converting it for use in a 120v system, like a residential home. I'm not sure where you want to use this light, but if it's in a closet in a house in the US, you are probably going to need a light approved for 120v use. Like I said before, i'm no expert, this is just a guess. If i'm wrong, go easy on me. I wish I could be of more help. take care

-Jeff

roopeseta

Newly Enlightened
I live in Finland and we have 230v.

I like the 5000-6000k color temperature lights and have been usiong CFL:s for years that are between that color temperature. I actually have two 100W CFL with 5000K (they arent in same room). That 5500k is same as sunlight in a cloudy day and its good color rendition.

Reason im thinking of led is because I now have 2x 32w 5500K CFL in ceiling and I usually have 4x 32w because theres not enough light coming from them. I think 20w CFL is more like 40w incandescent and not 100W like they claim.

I also read that these CFL make magnetic fields and they also have mercury in them. Im wondering if my 25 dollar 100w chinese CFL might leak mercury.

I also think it is possible that these CFL might leak mercury vapors and make me stupid and sick and give alzheimers. Thats why im probably going for leds. I was also considering to buy a big water bottle (over 1 gallon) and put the CFL in it and seal the container with glue. That way if it leaks any vapors, it will stay in the bottle.

There are so much diseases and stuff these days that if in the future the news says that CFL leaked 1% of mercury it had in it in 1 years t ime and all people got dementia and other mercury related diseases, then at least I didnt poison myself. Im rather paranoid than get CFL related cancer in 10 years.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how many lumens does a normal E27 socket 60w lightbulb do.

I was thinking of buying one of those led lights to my ceiling, like this one http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27585 and I was wondering that if that is 1000 lumens, how much is normal 60w light?

Nominal output from a 60 watt incadescent is 740 lumens according to the GE large lamp catalog, and that is with a nominal life of 1000 hours. There are some variations on the basic Incandescent lamp that alter those figures. There are some variations that actually have a Halogen lamp inside that tend to be a little higher, and others, such as long life, or different color characteristics like the GE Reveal® lamp that are lower. OUtput tends to decline over the life of the lamp

The GE 23 watt self ballasted CFL is rated a 1280 mean lumens, that is the average output over the life of the lamp. It starts out higher, and ends lower, like most fluorsecents. The 29 watt CFL is about 1700 lumens mean, so that's just about the same as a standard 100watt incandescent lamp.

CFL's can have either magnetic or electronic ballasts, however even the magnetic ballast does not produce a significant field more than an inch or so away from the ballast.

As for the mercury, unfortunately sort of a fact of life. It is nearly impossible to build a Fluorescent lamp without a small amount of mercury. Absent the mercury, the lamp will be nearly impossible to 'start'. My problem with many of the CFL's made in China is the ballasts on them simply don't last very long.

LED lighting may be wave of the future, but at this point, it is competitively priced only in special situations. It takes a very long time for the power savings even from a good LED to cover the price spread between a CFL and an LED lamp.

roopeseta

Newly Enlightened
Thank for replies people.

Im not using CFL or would use LED:s because they save energy. I only use because of color rendition. I havent seen 5500k incandescents. I do have 2 60w lamps that have blue paint on them and they are something 4000k though.

Tally-ho

Banned
and I was wondering that if that is 1000 lumens, how much is normal 60w light?

Rule #01
"Never ever trust DX's lumen rating". Never.

Rule #02
Repeat rule #01 100 times before buying.

Rule #03
Repeat rule #01 100 times before switching the light on for the first time.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a 5 mm LED showerhead. All 5 mm LED showerheads dim to 1/2 brightness in 6 to 12 months. Do you really want to pay $36 every year for a new bulb?
DX bulbs do not have to meet UL safety standards or FCC radiation standards or your power utility's power factor requirements. Or the equivalent European CE standards.
-
Philips has just announced the 12 watt EnduraLED light bulb, 806 lumens 25,000 hours life (that is 3 years 24/7 or 11 years 6 hours a day). You will probably have to wait a few months before it gets to the stores. Home Depot Canada is already clearing the Philips MasterLED to get ready.
http://www.ledsmagazine.com/products/22417
-
CFLs are no different than fluorescent tubes in office buildings or shops. As long as you do not drop one, break it and let the mercury out you are just as save as an office worker. Check with Finland's heath department and find out how many office workers died from the mercury in the fluorescent tubes. You will probably find none.

Last edited:

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank for replies people.

Im not using CFL or would use LED:s because they save energy. I only use because of color rendition. I havent seen 5500k incandescents. I do have 2 60w lamps that have blue paint on them and they are something 4000k though.

If you really are after color rendition, there are some very high CRI Fluorescent lamps (although they tend to be rather costly) like the GE Chroma 50 and SPX series lamps, although the Chroma 50's aren't especially energy efficient. The Chroma 50 has a CRI of 90, and you will be hard pressed to find an LED or any other 'efficient' lighting that has a higher CRI.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Chroma 50 has a CRI of 90, and you will be hard pressed to find an LED or any other 'efficient' lighting that has a higher CRI.

The Cree fixtures whe've been talking about so much here have 90CRI or better accomplished via mixing LEDs. However, they are much lower CCT (color temp) than typical high CRI fluorescent tubes with the LED fixtures being more efficient.

Several of the newer Rebels are just a few points off 90CRI at 4000k, and if I had a reflow solder oven I'd probably go broke building lights out of them :huh: I'd love to build a big PAR 38 with them.

Tuikku

Enlightened
I also read that these CFL make magnetic fields and they also have mercury in them. Im wondering if my 25 dollar 100w chinese CFL might leak mercury.

I also think it is possible that these CFL might leak mercury vapors and make me stupid and sick and give alzheimers.

AFAIK CFL bulbs may only have 1,5 - 5 mg of mercury in them.

That may sound a lot but if you think about fish: general limit is o,5 mg /Kg of fish and 1,0 mg/Kg of tuna, seabass and some other.

Also, many public places, schools, offices, libraries etc. have been mostly lit up by long fluorescent tubes. For decades! Yet, you see quite little fuzz about them and mercury. :shrug:

...and what about your teeth? Do you have amalgam in your caries? :duh2:

Two notes I have made:
Incan bulb restriction went through so fast, that somebody is making money with it, no doubt.
This great fuzz about UV from CFL and also mercury sounds like a countermove towards restriction.
Heck, this technology has been used for decades and decades yet now they figure out its so bad?! :duh2:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
No fixed lumen amount from a 60w incan bulb. Somewhere between 400-1000 depending on what brand/type you're using:
http://www.1000bulbs.com/category/60-watt-standard-shape-light-bulbs/

60W incandescents vary from around 500 lumens to over 1000 lumens
depending on their design life (some are shorter/brighter), frosting, and
whether halogen or not. Typical 60W can be narrowed to ~600 to 800+
lumens, which maps into a typical 13W CFL. That said I just grabbed a
60W 960 lumen E26/A19 bulb with internal halogen bulb, for one of the
few places I still use incans in the house.

As for the DX LED bulb, in the absence of any fade test, would treat
it like a Lights of America self-dimming showerhead bulb. Sort of like
self-flattening tires or self-splitting pants. There is nothing to suggest
anything different. If the OP wants to spend the money to find out, that
would be one way, but undertand what the risks are.

Dave

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck, this technology has been used for decades and decades yet now they figure out its so bad?!

Something like that.......but I don't think tubes caused such a controversy as they do now, even though the rumbling has always been there. It's when CFLs really went popular, and their disposable nature that really started ringing the alarms. I agree the entire mercury thing is a bit over rated, but the typical poor/erratic longevity and 'toss it the garbage' attitude towards CFLs is worth a little education on the part of consumers.

Still, we need more competition in regards to decent LED retrofits.