Flood Beam Headlamp List - 2011

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies -- my irresponsible ISP, COX Communications, has decided in its infinite wisdom to revoke all FTP space which I was using to host images. They took down the FTP space & deleted the images (and are charging me the same amount as before). Customer service is telling me, "T.S." Please bear with me until I can figure out where to re-host the images...IF I can find backups of the images.

FLOOD HEADLAMPS are valued for their ability to fill your vision...including your peripheral vision...with an even, homogeneous flood of light...a "wall of light" that doesn't require your eyes to adjust (much) from center to edge of beam. Flood headlamps are valued for: working with your hands, setting up camp, reading, walking or jogging trails, and other activities where peripheral vision must be maintained. They are not designed for seeing far into the distance. Beam angles on floody lights should run 60-120 degrees, although several inexpensive "bare bulb" type lamps throw a narrow beam of only 30-40 degrees. The narrower the beam, the lower your peripheral vision, and the more you'll have to twist your head to see your workspace, or the more you'll be chasing a "bouncing ball" as you jog at night.

Remember the beamshots in this thread are all taken from different distances, with different exposures, and with different color balance settings, so are not accurate for comparing coverage, beam brightness, or tint. Refer to beam angle to gauge beam spread, lumens to gauge brightness, and descriptions of tint to judge color. Beamshots primarily tell us about the evenness vs. "hotspottedness" of the beam.

Floody Beam Headlamps using AA cells

Zebralight H502
Announced May 2011, to be released 4th quarter this year. Likely a pure flood light in the H50 & H501 tradition. 1xAA with XM-L emitter, lensed (not reflectored), projected to output over 240 lumens on high.

Waiting for production....

Zebralight H501 & H501w
The H501w is a neutral/warm version of the H501. Efficiency: H501 is 96 lumen 2.3 hour; 18 lumen 19 hours; H501w is 80 lumen 2.3 hours; 15 lumen for 19 hours. Cell: Single AA battery (runtimes tested on a Sanyo 2700 mAh cell). Waterproof: IPX8. Beam Angle: 80 degree flood. Water: IPX8 (1 meter for 30 minutes). Price $59. Beamshots and Links: First shot is mine of a H501w; second is from here, & third is holyjeez03's photo of an H501w.

flood-H501.png

Energizer 360 Degree LED Cap Light - a unique ball-swivel mounted 1xAA light designed for attaching to hats & helmets. Narrow beam angle of 30 degrees makes it marginally eligible for this thread. 40 lumens for 4 hours. See Jas' thread here. $20-25.

FoxFury Command 10 Tasker - Efficiency: 40 max lumen for 32 max hours. Cells: 4xAA powering 10 Nichia LEDs. Beam Angle: 38 degree narrow flood. Water: Waterproof to 3 feet. Price: c. $61. (Waiting for beamshots from manufacturer.)

FoxFury Command 20 Tasker - Efficiency: 60 max lumen for 16 max hours. Cells: 4xAA powering 20 Nichia LEDs. Beam Angle: 38 degree narrow flood. Water: Waterproof 3 feet. Price: c. $81. (Waiting for beamshots from manufacturer.)

Irix Icon II, c. $20-30, making it a price contender. Convenient dial switch. Efficiency: advertised as 50 lumens max, reported (by Spaulding) 2:20 runtime on NiMH. Type: 5x5mm regulated LEDs. Cell: 1xAA. Water: "Weatherproof" (translation: water resistant). Mild PWM on low, tint reported variously as: cool, blue, & purple. Beam angle: margins fade gradually making measures difficult, but repeated calcs put the "floodspot" around a narrow 25 degrees (although easily spread to 45 degrees). See Meganoggin's thread here.

flood-irix2.png

Mammut S-Flex - 1xAA. Lumen: 35 max, also has low mode. Beam Angle: 40 degrees. Also has red LED and strobe. No IP rating. $30. Waiting for beamshots... please report if you can.

Mammut S-Lite - 1xAA, 20 lumen max for 10 hrs unregulated. Also a mid and low mode, strobe. $20.
Waiting for beamshots and beam angle...please report if you can.

Petzl Pixa 1 - Pixa 1 is flood only. Efficiency: 25 lumen for 12 hours. Cells: 2xAA. Regulated @ two levels. Beam Angle: central hotspot trigs to 37 degrees. If based on an accurate measurement, this means the dual-beam Pixas have a wider beam than the "wide beam" Pixa 1 (see Pixa 3 below). Water: IP 67 (= dust + immersion). Price on Amazon: $30. Waiting for beamshots...please report if you can.

Princeton Tec Corona
Efficiency: 90 lumens (8 leds) max, 1 hour regulated, then drops out of regulation. Vtunderground has recorded a 4.5 hour runtime on high with Eneloops. Midrange (5 leds) lumens estimated @ 56, with 6.75 hour runtime. Was considered a runtime champ, circa 2004. Cells: 3xAA batteries. Water: Water Resistant. Beam Angle: Vtunderground reports 30 degrees by protractor. Center weighted "directional flood" beam. Blue tint. Price: Around $50 or less. Links & Reviews: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...rinceton_tec_corona_led_headlamp_review.html_ , http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/princetontec_corona.htm beamshot duplicated below..., https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/181493 , https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198207&page=1

flood-Corona.png

Spark SD5 - On the drawing board, Spark's 1AA full flood headlamp.

Waiting for production...

Spark SD52 - a 2AA (or 14500) full flood headlamp available in neutral white NW and cool white CW models. Neutral version runs from .5lm (50 days) to 280lm (1.5hrs) on Eneloops. Cool version runs .5lm (50 days) to 300lm (1.5hrs) on Eneloops. (Reported as high as 500lm on 2 14500 cells.) Notable is the 7-hour midlevel of 70 or 80lm, as well as the superwide beam angle: 115 degrees. Waterproof: IPX8. About $105 + shipping.

flood-spark-sd52.jpg

Surefire Saint Minimus AA - Not released yet, but we're told it's a 2xAA version of the Saint Minimus.
Efficiency: 2xAA for 1-100 lumen output range. 1.5 hours on high. Comes with red filter.

Waiting for production...

Ultrafire UF-H2B -
An inexpensive <$30 Zebralight H501 look-alike, 1xAA, slight cool tint, beam spread >80 degrees. 150 lumens claimed. Information condensed from Gregozedobe's review post in this thread, #37.

Waiting for beamshots...

Zebralight H51F, H51Fw & H51Fc - arguably not a "true flood" with its brighter center, but probably qualifies as "floody." AaronG describes it as "a directional flood" and as "all spillbeam." The H51F is brightest of the bunch with a cooler tint; the H51Fw is a neutral/white version; the H51Fc is a high-CRI version (CRI of 85) appearing mid-2011. Efficiency H51F: 190 lumen .9 hour; 28 lumen 12 hours. H51Fw: 164 lumen .9 hour; 25 lumen 12 hours. H51Fc: 123 lumen .9 hr; 27 lumen 9 hrs. Battery: Single AA battery (tested on an Eneloop 2000 mAh). Water: IPX8. Beam Angle: 90 degree beam angle (but not a smooth even flood; has bright center). Price: $64. Links and beamshot: see https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/273573&page=9 post 261). Long discussion https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/273573. Comparative images are from GadgetGeek; lower image is Nugget's beamshot of an H51Fw.

flood-zebra-compare.jpg

flood-H51Fw.png

Convertible Flood/Spot Options using AA cells

Dosun H1
Cells: 3xAA. Beam: Reports of a ringy beam but I can't find beamshots. Beam Angle: ??? Unknown. Price: About $70
Waiting for beamshots...and beam angle...please report if you can.

Duracell Daylite 3AA Headlamp
"Spot to flood focus" 80 lumen on 3xAA battery pack. Red LED on battery pack. No power modes. Not rec'd for running. As low as $13 at Costco.

Energizer Hard Case Professional 4 LED Headlight
Cells: 3xAA - Estimated 5 hrs @ 60 lumens according to CPFers (not 100 as advertised).
Type: flip up diffuser that may diffuse well? Beam Angle: ??? unknown - please tell us if you know. Price: c. $28
Link and discussion see: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/263334&page=1) Beamshot here: http://www.light-reviews.com/energizer_hcp_4led_headlight/ duplicated below...

flood-hardcase.png

Note: Beamshot of Hard Case difficult to compare, because outer edges were not photographed.

Petzl Myo RXP
Efficiency: 140 lumens 50 hrs unregulated. 34 lumens 4 hrs regulated (+54 unreg).
Type: Spot, with built-in diffuser that reportedly works well for spreading the beam.
Water: Water Resistant. Cells: 3xAA batteries.
Beam Angle: ??? unknown - please tell us if you know. Price: Around $99 or less.
Links: beamshot see https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229236&page=1 post 9 duplicated below...

flood-myo.png

Petzl Pixa 3 - Pixa 3 is flood or spot or both. (Note: Pixa 2 is flood + spot combined, so doesn't qualify for this thread.) Efficiency: 30 lumen for 12 hrs. Cells: 2xAA. Regulated @ two levels. Beam Angle: Trigs to 49, turboBB's protractor says 56 (both of which are wider than the Pixa 1?). Beamshot by turboBB, who reports a subtle hotspot in the center. Water: IP 67 (= dust + immersion). Price on Amazon: $55.

flood-pixa3floodmode.jpg

Princeton Tec Apex
Efficiency: Flood lumens unknown, 8.5 hours regulated. Has both spot and center weighted "floody" setting.
Water: Not waterproof? (verify). Cells: 4xAA batteries.
Beam Angle: ??? unknown - please tell us if you know. Price: Around $70.
Link & Beamshot: see review at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pt_apex.htm duplicated below...

flood-apex.png

Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Xtreme 1-AA.
Efficiency: 45 lumens for 2 hrs...regulated...reportedly pretty close to a true white tint...debued in 2007. Also has red and blue LEDs.
Type: Flip diffuser. Price: A price/performance contender at $20 on-line. Beam Angle: ??? Unknown.
Link: Supposed to be a beamshot here but I can't see it: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=173333

Floody Headlamps using AAA cells
(Haven't worked much on this category yet, please suggest)

Black Diamond Spot - Advertises a flood mode which ranges from 4-16 lumens (while main beam up to 75 lumens). 3xAAA. A red LED is included. Around $40. Waiting for beamshots...and beam angle...please report if you can.

Black Diamond Storm - 4xAAA. Floody option is "single power white LEDs" at 25 lumens, while spot ("triple power LED") is 4-100 lumens with claimed 50 hrs of use on high (most of it unregulated, though). IPX7. Initial regulation for first 25% of battery use. Also incorporates red LEDs and strobe modes. About $40-50. See Szemhazai's review here. Beam angle for flood unknown.

flood-bd-storm.jpg

Bright 5 LED - an inexpensive <$4 Petzl Tikka lookalike, 3xAAA, cool blue tint, "directional flood" type beam. Information condensed from Gregozedobe's review post in this thread, #37.

Energizer 6-LED Headlamp - says it has a flood option, but doesn't really. Even after bead-blasting the lens to achieve more beam spread, the beam is heavily center weighted and narrow (although of decent color); the well-lit sweet spot is a narrow 40 degrees. Compare with photos of the H50 and H501 during the same beamshot shoot...yes, that's how small the Energizer's "flood" is. Inexpensive ($12-14) and readily available.

flood-energizer6.jpg

Mammut Lucido TR1 - 4 LEDs make an interesting "narrow angle flood," or perhaps it's a "broad even spot," with a 45 degree coverage. It has nice consistent coverage from edge to edge. Was one of the 3xAAAs that impressed me at REI. Around $35.

Petzl Tikka 2 - 3xAAA. "Wide beam pattern" says mfg'r. 40 lumens at 90 or 120 hours depending on mode. Unregulated. See Carrot's review here. About $30.

Petzl Tikka XP - 3xAAA, unregulated, 30lm max. Sliding diffuser. See tam17's report in post #38 of this thread.

flood-tikka-xp.jpg

Petzl Tikka XP2 - 3xAAA with flip-up diffuser. Beam Angle 50 degrees in flood mode. 60 lumens max. Unregulated. Claims use on high at 80 hours (unreg'd). IPX4 (water resistant). Red LED included. Beamshot thanks to Turbo BB. Around $50.

flood-tikkaXP2.jpg

Petzl Tikkina - 3xAAA, 23 lumen max. Unregulated. "Wide beam pattern" says mfg'r. Out of production?

Petzl Tikkina 2 - 3AAA, 2 levels, max is 23 lm for 55 hours unregulated. From $18.
See Dd61999's side beam shots and beam angle in post #55 of this thread.

Petzl Zipka Plus 2 - 3xAAA, 50 lumen max. "Wide beam pattern" says mfg'r. Around $35.

Princeton Tec Quad - Recently upgraded to 45 lumen on 3xAAA. Regulated. "Wide Beam." Waterproof: IPX6? (1m, 30min). Tactical version comes with Interchangeable colored filters. High is 1 hr regulated, 50 hrs total. Around $25-35 depending on model.

Princeton Tec Remix - 70 lumen on 3xAAA. (Remix Pro uses 1xCR123 for 70 lumens). Reported by Carrot as floody.

Spark SD73 - Still at the rumor stage, Spark's 3AAA offering?

Floody Headlamps using CR123 cells

Spark with Reflector Removed & Frosted Lens -
As sold, the Spark ST6-500CW (and all its currently manufactured kin, the ST6-200NW, ST6-220CW, ST6-280OW, ST6-320CW, ST6-360CW, ST6-460NW, and so on) has a brilliant hotspot. However, the manufacturer Xyber verified the reflector is easily removed, giving a beautiful, 100-degree even floody beam. Brandocommando was the first to report this, to great success. The ST6-500CW is advertised as top level 500 lumen for 1.4 hours, but people working with their hands will be more interested in the 50 lumen midlevel (28 hours) and the 150 lumen midlevel (8 hours). Powered by 1x18650 or 2xCR123. Water: IPX8 before pulling the reflector; unknown after. Cost around $99.

flood-spark-st6.jpg

Recently, Spark has been adding a frosted lens to its package, yielding a directional flood. Here shown on a ST6-460NW:

flood-spark-frosted.jpg

Surefire Saint Minimus & Tactical & Vision & Saint -
- Saint Minimus, variable 1-100 lumen for 1.5 hrs on high with 1xCR123.
- Saint Minimus Tactical, same as Minimus but desert tan anodizing & camo headband & three color filters.
- Saint Minimus Vision, a warm colored (possibly high CRI) version of the Saint Minimus, 1-80 lumens on 1xCR123.
- Saint, runs from a battery pack of 1, 2, or 3xCR123 or 2xAA, for up to 6 hrs on high using 3xCR123.
Water: Waterproof IPX8 (1 meter 30 minutes). Angle: trigs to just 56 degrees, based on CPFer measurements.
Beamshots and Links here, here, and here. Reports of beam artifacts and green tints.
Price: about $140 Minimus, and about $190 for Saint with battery pack.

flood-saint.png

Zebralight H31F & H31Fw - Powered by 1xCR123.
Will it be like the H51, not a "true flood" but "directed flood?"
Released March 2011, $64.

Waiting for beamshots....

Zebralight H302 - announced May 2011 for production first quarter of 2012. Reported to be a "pure flood" 1xCR123 light using XM-L emitter.

Waiting for production....

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Floody Headlamps using other power options...

Black Diamond Sprinter
Efficiency: 68 lumen max, 5-7-8 (reports vary) hrs.
Cell: LiIon rechargeable built-in, takes 4-5 hrs to recharge. Oval lens beam. Price: Around $70-80.

eGear X-Flare HL-400
4.8V Ni-MH rechargeable battery pack. High 375 lumens for 25 min; low ? Lm for 9 hrs. 50 degree with a remarkably even flood beam, considering 3 emitters. See turboBB's thread & beamshots here. $80-90.

flood-egear.jpg

Spark SD6
An 18650 full flood powerhouse. Comes in various emitter versions and tints. Modes from 500lm to .5lm. Waterproof: IPX8. See beamshots in this thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?323342-Spark-SD6 Sells for around $105.

Surefire Maximus
Efficiency: Up to 500 lumen on custom rechargeable LiIon battery. Claims "wide diffused beam with considerable peripheral light."

Zebralight H600w - a 18650-based "spot with spill" light which will be available with 750 (cool) or 500 (warm) lumen, going as low as .1 lm. $89.

Zebralight H602w - an 18650-based "pure flood," possibly with stats similar to the H600w. $89. See upcoming Zebralight products here-> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Fc0FfUDFVSHVNS1E&hl=en&authkey=CNqP6KIC#gid=0

Upscale Headlamps with Flood
For those with the cash for more...

Ahorton's Custom Headlamps - various. Ahorton is a CPF'er.
Petzl Ultrawide. 300 lumens and 180 degree coverage. Rechargeable pack. $430.
FoxFury Performance Tasker - 64 max lumen for 6 hours on 4xAA, 45 degree flood. c. $126.
Scurion. Their mid-level dual-beam 1000 model puts out 500 lumens in flood. $700-1300.
Little Monkey Hurricane. Dual-beam 730 lumens. $340/out of production.
Ledlampe IV. Dual-beam. Can run on AAs. Advertising 1000 lumens. $225.
Custom Idea Viper. 825 lumens. $520.

No Longer In Production
(but you can find them on the used market)

Zebralight H50
Efficiency: 66 lumen 2:20 hr; 13 lumen 19 hrs. Cell: Single AA battery.
Beam Angle: 120 degree flood, one of the widest available. (An H50b existed briefly, with an 80 degree flood.)
Water: Mfg simply states "Waterproof." Probably IPX8 like their other lights. Price: Discontinued.
Beamshots & Links: beamshot see http://www.cpfreviews.com/ZebraLight-H50.php ... photo duplicated first below, second photo is mine... also https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194339&page=1 post 1

flood-h50.jpg

Zebralight H30.
Efficiency: 80 lumens for 2.5 hours, 20 lumens for 21 hours. Beam Angle: 80 degree even flood beam.
Cell: 1xCR123. Price: Discontinued.
Links: See WadeF's excellent review from 2008. One of Wade's photos 'borrowed' below.

flood-h30.JPG

Zebralight H60
Efficiency: 190 lumens for 2 hours, 45 lumens for 10 hours, with 2550 mAh cell.
Cell: 18650 cell, which can be purchased in a range of mAh (2400-3000).
Angle: 80 degree flood. Price: Offered 2008-10 for $79, now discontinued.

Zebralight H60w - the neutral/warm version of the H60
Efficiency: 157 lumens for 2 hours, 37 lumens for 10 hours, with 2550 mAh cell.
Cell: 18650 cell, which can be purchased in a range of mAh (2400-3000).
Angle: 80 degree flood. Price: Offered 2008-10 for $79, now discontinued.
Beamshot is the floody one on the LEFT, below.

flood-H60w.jpg

Notes on various other headlamps
To be sorted when time permits...
Energizer Micro LED Headlamp 1xAA has a 34 degree beam angle (calculated). Too narrow to count as a flood beam.

Last edited:

tedh

Newly Enlightened
This thread, given how Bolster has thoroughly and painstakingly cataloged the beams of all these headlamps, seems to deserve to be a sticky in this forum. I don't know the procedure to "stickify" something around here, can someone please inform?

Ted

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, friends. I was feeling guilty when I first pulled this thread together because I was "borrowing" shots (with attribution) from other CPF'ers. Then the big crash happened, and I am now feeling morally justified...because my morally ambiguous pilfering actually turned out to be "saving precious knowledge." I think I'll try that defense next time I'm hauled before a judge for stealing...

At any rate, please remember this thread as you encounter other flood-beam headlamps and I'll include them. I'd like to keep this thread updated. And if you find beamshots I can stea... uh, borrow, let me know.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on a campaign to add Beam Angle measurements as I can. To qualify for this list, a light really SHOULD have a beam spread of AT LEAST 60 degrees (read through and you'll notice several don't). See any missing? If you can give me (1) Beam Diameter and (2) Distance from Light to Wall, I can calculate beam angle. Thanks!

diameter%20&%20distance%2020110323080511-b.jpg

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still need beam angles for these floody lights, can you help?

Black Diamond Storm
Black Diamond Sprinter
Dosun H1
Energizer Hard Case Pro (flood mode)
Mamut Lucido TR1
Petzl Myo RXP (diffused mode)
Petzl Tikka 2
Petzl Tikkina
Petzl Zipka Plus 2
Petzl Pixa 1 & 3
PT Remix
PT Apex (flood mode)
PT Corona
RayOVac Sportsman Xtreme 1-AA (flood mode)

(...and any other floody light headlamps I may have overlooked. Any light with both spot and flood, I'm only looking for data on the flood or diffused mode.)

Please notice I've also published a paper protractor you can download here, to help measure the angle of beams.

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome light! I have it listed in the "rich" or "wealthy" section...which sad to say is the section that gets ignored, because there are so few people spending big money on lights, and to do them justice, you have to do a lot of research. If you happen to purchase one I'll gladly "borrow" your beamshots!

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to the folks supplying the beamshots. When I first put this thread together I was working fast and didn't have time to label all the photos. Now that I'm slowing down and updating one at a time I'm trying to put attribution on the photos themselves. If one of your photos is listed here and you want attribution, please tell me which shot(s) is(are) yours and I'll attribute.

Potato42

Newly Enlightened
This should be a sticky. How does one go about alerting the mods to that? I had a heck of a time finding this thread earlier and was worried it was gone. Thanks for the great collected info Bolster.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx for the link VT. I have a few EOS inbound for modding as well.

Bolster, if mods count, I modded a Petzl Tikkina2 and it now has a very nice neutral flood. I know you likely wanted only off-the-shelf products but I think by listing ones that can be modded will help open many options.

Cheers,
Tim

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys...I think it's a great idea to list flood mods in this thread. Thanks for posting.

vtunderground

Enlightened
As another modding note... Any headlamp with 5mm LEDs can be made super-floody by sanding the LED domes with a fine-grit sandpaper. The effect is comparable to putting a diffuser in front of the LED. I did this to my Apex, with good results. Only downside is you lose some lumens. I have before/after pictures somewhere, just need to find them.

ahorton

Enlightened
Just thought I'd add some data about my own headlamp (mentioned by Bolster above).

This is the beam you'll get from 2 x Lisa2 RS optics with XP-Gs:
Two LEDs perpendicular to paper
photo3-1.jpg

Two LEDs parallel to paper
photo2-1.jpg

Certainly doesn't look like much flood in the image, but the camera doesn't capture the very useable beam out past 120 degrees.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Oh guys, preordered sparks are shipping with frosted lens included. Not sure if they will be available for all sparks though.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
So...that's the standard Spark body, with the addition of a frosted lens in the package? Same reflector, etc? Any idea what the beam will be like? A "directional flood" like the H51f, perhaps?

Last edited: