Need an EDC light.

MrGatoMan

Newly Enlightened
First ever post YAY!
Im having trouble deciding on an EDC light for either daily lighting chores or self-defense (I.E. use with a pistol, I have a CHL). Here are my requirements and preferences.

-MUST BE both durable and reliable
-$80 to $100 range
-200+ lumen preferred but might go 150-199 lumen if its a great light
-Id like it to use either 1 or 2 AA (LI rechargeable or NiMH rechargeable preferred) or 1 to 2 Cr123, RCR123 and/or 1x18650
-Small enough to carry in a pocket but big enough comfortably fit in my hand
-non-recessed forward tactical/momentary tail cap switch.
-MUST have a pocket clip. I plan on carrying it in a pocket not a holster.
-good balance between spill and throw
-multiple modes would be nice but not a must.

I have been looking around but just cant make up my mind. Id list some of the manufacturers iv been looking at but I want to see if there are any surprises in store for me.

Thanks for any and all input gentlemen and gentle-ladies (are there many women on here?).

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sunwayman V20A or V10r XML are On my short list. You could get the V10r titanium for a little more money :naughty:

Tommygun45

Enlightened
HDS EDC 120. 99 bucks. Best lights in the business. Not super bright but with EDC lots of light is rarely needed. You can customize it once to be exactly as you want it and forget about it. Tremendous lights.

Oh, and if you want more you can resell it on the MP for at least 95 bucks in about 5 minutes.

Last edited:

aaronu

Newly Enlightened
Quark Tactical AA. I have a tactical X AA^2 that runs 280 lumens. Small reflector but if is easier to carry... not sure about rechargeables though.

Another option, look for a deal on a Surefire incandescent and get a drop-in for it. 6P, M2, C2, Z2.

Another CR123 solution, Olight M20X. 500 lumens and a tactical bezel. I don't have one but they interest me. Maybe someone with an Olight can chime in.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

joe1512

Enlightened
You have a ton of options since you are so open about battery choices.

If you don't already have RCR123/18650 and charger, Id prefer you to get AA/AAA/C/D NiMH and charger as they are useful around the house. The 18650s are useless outside of flashlight land.

A 2xAA with an XP-G is your best bet. XM-L is fine but is more expensive and 2AAs just cant drive them hard enough to get any advantage.

Id recommend goinggear.com click flashlight, click 2xAA and browse through the various options.

If those dont work for you, Id check out 1x18650 options next. They will be several inches shorter than the 2xAA offerings and only slightly fatter. That form factor might be preferred, and your runtime is better. You also have the option of XM-L for much better brightness if desired.

Id avoid CR123s as they are not rechargable and are expensive and not easy to get.

I would NOT use drop-ins as you have plenty of good off the shelf solutions without piddling around with that. HDS is fine and all, but you pay a fortune for moderately better quality. Like going from a lexus to a ferrari.... its more about bragging rights than additional reliability. The HDS aren't even all that bright...just better made.

But really, all lights have no moving parts other than the switch. The Fenix,4sevens,jetbeam,sunwayman,etc all are fine quality and I woudlnt worry about their reliability at all.

Last edited:

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
aaronu said:
Quark Tactical AA. I have a tactical X AA^2 that runs 280 lumens. Small reflector but if is easier to carry... not sure about rechargeables though.

Another option, look for a deal on a Surefire incandescent and get a drop-in for it. 6P, M2, C2, Z2.

Another CR123 solution, Olight M20X. 500 lumens and a tactical bezel. I don't have one but they interest me. Maybe someone with an Olight can chime in.

I have the m20x and it is great. Goes everywhere I go. For TSA I just take the bezel off and leave it at home.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
aaronu said:

I have the m20x and it is a great light. I think that you will want a single cell for edc. Take a look at the Klarus xt1c.

MrGatoMan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your input! I ended up going with a 4Sevens Neutral White Quark AA2 Tactical for anyone who is curious.

joe1512

Enlightened
Glad we could help. Excellent choice and we hope you love it!

I'd recommend you use Sanyo Eneloop batteries in it as they are quite good and are low self discharge...meaning they don't lose their charge over time like normal ones (about 1% per day normally, so 3 months later = dead).

You can get a cheap charger in a package deal from amazon with the eneloops. OR if you think you might use rechargables around the house, consider a Universal Smart Charger which will do a bit better job, plus work with C and D, as well as AAA/AA.

Last edited: