Apple iPhone officially announced!

carrot

Flashaholic
The latest: http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/live-from-macworld-2007-steve-jobs-keynote/

Quick specs:
* Runs a modified OS X
* "Multitouch" touch screen
* proximity sensor turns off screen when in use
* high resolution screen (160px/inch)
* accelerometer flips the screen from portrait to widescreen turned on its side
* 2MP camera
* iPod dock and iTunes compatibility
* music, movies, pictures, calling & conference calls
* full featured apps -- Safari, Mail (with push service from Yahoo!)
* GSM, EDGE, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi connectivity
* SIM card slot
* $499 for 4GB, $599 for 8GB with Cingular service

I like the idea of the Newton 2.0... but I dislike cell phones...

Edit: Apple's got their page up now: http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Last edited:

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been watching the macrumorslive.com feed and it looks pretty cool. I wish they would sell a version of it without the cell phone. $500 or $600 for an iPod is a lot of money (if you don't want/need a cell phone).

Greg

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad it's only got a 2MP camera...

carrot

Flashaholic
The iPhone is coming around June or so. I'll be one of the first to line up and play with it, but I doubt I'll buy it anytime soon.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really needs more disk or removable flash for all the pictures and music that could pile up on it.

mchlwise

Enlightened
dammitjim said:
It really needs more disk or removable flash for all the pictures and music that could pile up on it.

Definitely needs some kind of removeable memory.

It's a pretty cool looking toy, but I won't ever be owning one. It's nice competition for pocket PCs, but very poor competition for a cell phone. It would fit in a shirt or suit pocket nicely, and be very thin, but what about when you're wearing jeans and a t-shirt? Where are you going to carry it? Your back pocket? What about when you sit down? It wouldn't be comfortable in a front pocket. There are a TON of places, probably 75% of where my cell phone goes with me, that I wouldn't be able to take that thing.

:ohgeez:

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure there will be an upgraded video iPod coming with 100GB and the new touchscreen and chrome bezel styling.

The iPhone "only" has 4 or 8GB because they have to use flash memory to keep it small enough to sell as a phone. People are willing to put up with a thicker device to have video (e.g. the current iPod video).

Greg

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
... and I just got a new Palm Treo 750 today. I never was really interested in an iPod until now. It's too bad it's not a 3G device. It's already behind by a step or two with internet access.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah well: Garbage. Apple just saved me $600.

I refuse to sign any kind of contract for this. Cingular is notorious for overcharging on the data and the voice plans aren't very much better.

And June? Come on? What is this 6 month wait? The beauty of past upgrades is that it was available after the keynote. RIGHT AFTER. This is old news in 3 months let alone 6 months.

No 3G? No GPS? 2MP?

My current Mobile does all of this, and more. Jesus. I was so looking forward to this. What a let down. I hate to be so negative but...

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be surprised if it actually ships in June with the same 4 or 8 gig of memory. By the speed that those chips come down in price and increase in size I would expect those to double before you can actually buy one. At least I hope so.

I've been with all the cellphone carriers over the last 7 or 10 years, and they all sucked in one way or another. Just so happens that were I live now Cingular has the best coverage and I'm already on their plan so that wont be a big problem.

What interests me even more than the phone and the iPod parts is the fact that it is running a pretty standard MacOS distribution. So I should be able to port or write lots of good apps with good sync capabilities for it! This is exciting because while it masquerades as a phone and an iPod, what it really is is a tiny tablet Macintosh that pretty much any Mac developer (like me! :D ) will be able to build apps for. I expect the available apps to have eclipsed what I can get on my old Palm even before it ships.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
bmstrong said:
And June? Come on? What is this 6 month wait?

Per Jobs they have to wait for FCC approval.

FWIW I'm with Cingular now and their data plans are very expensive. Had Tmobile last year and theirs are much more reasonable.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>Per Jobs they have to wait for FCC approval.

I can't believe that. I mean how long have they had the Proto's sitting? They've been building this for at least a YEAR if not more?

You can't tell me that someone didn't have the bright idea to get this thing approved MONTHS ago? Before it's debut?

Blah! :green:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
according to Steve it's been in the works for 2 years. But I dont think the FCC will test and approve a prototype, you have to actually have a production unit for them and that takes a lot of money and time to setup the facilities.

If the API's and libraries for developing for this thing done surface I'm going to be very disappointed. At this time there is no info other than the comment from the guys that are supposed to keep you from lifting the demo unit out of it's case that there is no development tools yet. So I dont think we can just rule out that we'll be able to develop for it in the future. June is a long way away still.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
bmstrong said:
>>Per Jobs they have to wait for FCC approval.

I can't believe that. I mean how long have they had the Proto's sitting? They've been building this for at least a YEAR if not more?

You can't tell me that someone didn't have the bright idea to get this thing approved MONTHS ago? Before it's debut?

Blah! :green:
usually when the fcc approves, main phone specs are laid out in the open.

Jobs wanted to be the one to show the phone off first before the fcc.

but six months is pretty long..

i wish apple would have added 3g data speeds, as well as a few other things all of which phones half the price already have.

i'll be waiting for rev2 or 3.