so many choices which flashlight should i chose?

WreckinBall

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, im new to this forum and i am looking for help on making a decision on which light i should buy for EDC. I have been looking at iTP A3 eos with r5 emiter, Maratac AAA, Preon 1, Preon Revo, maybe Preon 2. I am looking for something small yet puts out a decent amount of light. The light should be AAA, or AA if its compact enough, i dont want something thats going to get caught on things. If it is a AA it has to have a clip. If you have any suggestions for a light i would apriciate it. I would also like to know what people think about the Revo vs the Preon 1. From what i have heard the Revo is not as bright as the Preon 1 is this true? I also heard the XP-G emiter in the Preon 1 is more efficient than the XP-E emiter used in the Revo?

Will purchase online or in store
I perfer clicky, but twisty will work
I do not want rechargable
And the price needs to be $50 or less

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ITP A3 eos, Maratac AAA, and Revo whould be my top 3 picks on your list.

For a AA light I'd recommend a Quark AA or Zebralight SC51w.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I would suggest that you take a look at my website, I have compared most AAA lights.
The last comparison was this:

Stainless steel lights are very good for keychain duty, they do not scratch as easily and even if they do get a scratch, it is not very visible.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Well, since you seem to be focusing on a keychain light, then this becomes pretty easy IMHO.

Get yourself a Preon1 or an iTP EOS A3 'Upgrade' (upgrade has 3 modes). My recommendation is to get the XP-G R5 emitter. Either of these lights has good power on one AAA battery.

I know you said "I do not want rechargable", but the beauty of these little powerhouses really starts to shine when you load a 10440 battery into them. Man, they will crank out over 300 lumens! That is some serious lumens coming from such a teensy host. Of course, there is a little danger associated with Li-ion batteries, but a small amount of common sense will prevent any problems.

If you go to someplace like GoingGear, you can buy the light, charger and two 10440 batteries for less than $50 total. BTW - 'protected' 10440 batteries will not fit, AFAIK.

Here's the Preon1 (w/10440 battery) lumens chart from BigChelis - 326 lumens - BOOYAH!
preon10440.jpg

-

Last edited:

licht55

Newly Enlightened
I do not know the other lights, but have an iTP A3 EOS Upgraded as my main EDC light and like it. It is small, has differente modes and does not turn on unintentionally in my pocket because of its twist switch, although it does not have a well defined switching point.

WreckinBall

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for your help. I think im leaning torwards the revo becuase of the current regulation, i have been sensitive to pwm before in other lights so im a little iffy on purchasing a light that uses pwm. But then agian maybe the light i had suffered from a low frequency pwm? My main concern about the Revo is the emiter, you can get the regular with xpe-r2 but you can get the ss with the xpg-s2 emiter which is better do you think. I have also heard rumors of a revo with an xpg-r5 emiter? Anyone have further knowledge on what 4 sevens plans on doing with the emiters for the Revo?

Thanks for the link to that comparison page, is that a custom Revo with an r4 emiter?