Best CPF wisdom/comments?

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
What's the best comment or piece of prophetic speculation you've seen on this forum? What observation, tests, or even remarks have most affected your involvement in this hobby and why?

For me, I wish I could remember the exact post, but roughly a year ago in a discussion regarding the Dorcy Super 1-watt I believe, someone made a comment to the effect that in a year, there would be brighter and cheaper lights that could run on AA as opposed to 123's. And that these lights would be cheaper than several of the 123's currently available.

Not knowing all that much about lights, i was very skeptical of the prospects of an AA light being able to produce as much if not more than a 123 at a cheaper price, however looking at the slew of Cree lights available now, its clear that this can be the case.

I really wish I could drege up that post, but for the life of me I cannot recall too much of the specifics and it wasnt even in a thread I had posted in unfortunatley. However, that CPF members declaration has definatley come true and I'd like to know if anyone else here has had similar experiences.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I can't believe I get to be the first to say this, but...

When in doubt, "buy both!"

Okay, in all seriousness, I'm conflicted over the advice we give here. Many people will tell you that you should buy high-quality lights right from the start. The reasoning goes that because you'll eventually end up becoming a better flashaholic and buying more expensive lights anyway, this method will save you money in the long run (by preventing you from wasting money on inferior lights in the short run).

But I'm not entirely sure I agree. I think that these "cheapie" lights provide a useful measure of comparison. After all, if you start off by buying a light with a perfect beam, you have nothing to look forward to and nothing to reach for. And you appreciate the light less, because you never actually had to endure a light with lesser features. If you start off with a Ferrari Enzo, what's the fun in later getting a Porsche Boxster? You're ruined as a car collector, because you started off at the pinnacle.

That said, if you're ever in doubt between two lights, "buy `em both!" as we're so fond of saying here. It really will help you compare the two side-by-side, so that you can actually appreciate the differences between them. And assuming that you got a decent price on the lights, you can always resell them here. Even if you buy a $100 flashlight and resell it for $89, it's only cost you $11 to rent that flashlight for a month or two - a small price to pay for being able to compare two unique flashlights and confirm that you've found the one you really like best!

Hope this helps. =)

- FITP

Last edited:

willrx

Enlightened
Don't have too much wisdom here, but I've spent enough $$ to be able to say "Wisdom is expensive." I am having fun though.

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
FlashInThePan said:
Many people will tell you that you should buy high-quality lights right from the start. The reasoning goes that because you'll eventually end up becoming a better flashaholic and buying more expensive lights anyway, this method will save you money in the long run (by preventing you from wasting money on inferior lights in the short run).

But I'm not entirely sure I agree. I think that these "cheapie" lights provide a useful measure of comparison. After all, if you start off by buying a light with a perfect beam, you have nothing to look forward to and nothing to reach for. And you appreciate the light less, because you never actually had to endure a light with lesser features. If you start off with a Ferrari Enzo, what's the fun in later getting a Porsche Boxster? You're ruined as a car collector, because you started off at the pinnacle.

That said, if you're ever in doubt between two lights, "buy `em both!" as we're so fond of saying here. It really will help you compare the two side-by-side, so that you can actually appreciate the differences between them. And assuming that you got a decent price on the lights, you can always resell them here. Even if you buy a $100 flashlight and resell it for $89, it's only cost you $11 to rent that flashlight for a month or two - a small price to pay for being able to compare two unique flashlights and confirm that you've found the one you really like best!

Hope this helps. =)

- FITP

I say that in itself is really good advice to follow.

tenfour

Newly Enlightened
The current situation regarding lights (e.g. what's the latest LED technology, what stuff is coming out soon, etc) seems pretty easy to figure out by reading the new posts on the forum.

It would be nice if the Wiki was used more, to help put forum wisdom in a reference format. But until something like that happens, there's no substitute for just "read, and get wiser".

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best advice I have received from CPF is to actually use my lights. When I first joined last year I bought quite a few lights in a short period of time and these lights ended up on a shelf. When I bought my HDS U60 and my first McLux III PD I was afraid to carry them. I have always been a bit overprotective about newly bought items but after reading some posts here I came to the realization that I wanted to be a user. I now only have an Al PD-S, a Ti PD-S, a seoulmodded HDS U60 and a Fenix L1T with CR123 body. I EDC the Ti PD-S now but the other lights get used as well. When I sell lights its only because they are not getting used and I'd rather have someone else own them then have them sitting in my drawer. Nothing wrong with having shelf queens (I wish I could afford to stock my shelves with all kinds of cool lights) but I like to use my lights. There is a good feeling that comes from using a reliable, versatile tool and bringing light to where there is darkness.

Illum

Flashaholic
two is one, one is none...if you ever decide to bring two lights, make sure you bring a spare light for each light you wish to bring:ohgeez:

when facing difficulty between two lights, buy both

When in doubt, ask

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of somebody's sig line: "If there's a 50% chance of rain, you bring an umbrella. There is a 100% chance it will get dark tonight." Funny part is, I never use umbrellas, but I always have two lights on me.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
"THey're photon extruders!!!" ...the most interesting comment I would have to say is "number of lights you need = x+1 where x is your current total number of lights :grin2: "

UKSFighter

Newly Enlightened
When in doubt, buy both.

That is my all time favorite... it is true though, if you don't get them both you'll always be needing the light you didn't buy.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Illum_the_nation said:
Im surprised of all people you would be the one to break it to us:awman:

Whaddya mean their just lights? they are NOT just lights!!!1
I can't take credit for that one; I was just paraphrasing Sasha, who I remember posting that a long time ago. And, yes, it makes absolute sense to me and I completely agree - they are just lights. :)

InFlux

Enlightened
I remmember a sig line that said something like ~"...he who looks 100 lumens in the eye is a fool..."