Hard had lights? Does anyone make one? (not a miners light though)

jeff000

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for a light to mount on my hard hat, something light and bright.
I'm not looking for something that is my only light source, like what a miner would wear. I'm an electrician, so sometimes need to do work in the dark. Be it above a ceiling, or just in a way where the main light is blocked by myself, or the times where the power is out and I have to work on something.

I've always figured there should be a light that mounts in the ear tabs holes on the hard had, but can not find anything. I've tried like most do and just put a normal head lamp on the hard had, but it's never aimed right and doesn't stay put.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

I carry a stream light stylus pro right now, and it's great, nice and bright, battery lasts a long time, and it has taken some serious abuse, but zip tieing it to my hard hat is far from optimal.

Thanks.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firemen and military use helmet-attachable lights. Foxfury lights, and the SureFire military helmet light come to mind.

I attach Zebralights and Sparks to my hard hats just using the elastic band, and they stay put just fine.

There's also a strap retainer for hard hats, maybe someone will post it.

What do you mean by a "hard had?" I'm not familiar with that phrase.

Last edited:

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the Pelican 2710 and the 2720. The oil and ship workers love these.

outrider

LGT

Enlightened
Streamlight also has headlamps. Many of them come with an elastic head strap and a rubber hard hat strap which works quite well, even in wet weather. The Utility company I work for issues them and most of my co-workers like them. Depending on what model you get, cost is about twentyfive to thirtyfive dollars. :welcome:

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
usually ANY flashlight with a rear-facing clip, or reversible clip

you can then attach the light to the straps or lid

jeff000

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean by a "hard had?" I'm not familiar with that phrase.

Sorry I should have been more specific.
Construction hard hat.

safety hard hat all colors.jpg

You can see the little tab holes, they make ear muffs and face shields that clip into them. Figure there had to be a light that mounts into these clips.

The military and firefighter lights don't work because of the shape of the hard hard.
the normal head band lights just put over the hard hat never seem to put the light in the right spot, and I have no way of adjusting without jamming something behind the light.

Decableguy2000

Newly Enlightened
I will agree with the Stream light also. How ever I wear a full brim hard hat and found it was a stretch of the supplied bands to stay put. I ended up removing the rubber pad from the light and added Velcro to it and have not looked back.

borrower

Enlightened
Any old headlamp with a 1" strap and 4 hooks from Petzl:
PETZL - E04350 - HELMET CLIPS, HEAD LAMPS
Manufacturer:
PETZL
Manufacturer Part No:
E04350

borrower

Enlightened
I don't have any experience with the ones on Amazon described above that you seem to form into hooks... anyone with experience to say how solid these are? (The ones I mentioned have permanent hooks that should catch the rims of most hard hats.)

jeff000

Newly Enlightened
What stream light head band? They seem to have several.

Any old headlamp with a 1" strap and 4 hooks from Petzl:
PETZL - E04350 - HELMET CLIPS, HEAD LAMPS
Manufacturer:
PETZL
Manufacturer Part No:
E04350

I am not sure I understand these.

DaveG

Enlightened
Streamlight made hardhat light holders for poly-pro and mini-mag lights.Got mine from Bright Guy years ago.He may be able to help you out.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I just used my ZLH51 - my jack of all traits. Depending on how long the rim sticks out though it may be in the way for close up work. My hard hat has an extended bill and the ZL still works, but the beam starts a couple feet in front of you which is fine for my work. If I flip the face shield up, the beam isnt obstructed at all.

IMG_0105_640.jpg

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I'm curious, How much can you drill or cut one of these hard hats before the hat's intended purpose is dramatically diminished. I know some people/companies drill theirs and add all sorts of gizmos so they must retain some degree of their intended protection.

The reason I ask is if you can cut two vertical slots in the front about 2 or 3 inches apart, then you could mount any headlamp you like. Just remove the stock headband and replace with a length of double sided Velcro. Loop that through the hat and secure. This is what I do for bicycle helmets and the lights remain secure with full adjust-ability. Of course the big difference here is bicycle helmets have built in vents. But if you can cut a couple of slots, You may want to consider this approach.

jeff000

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious, How much can you drill or cut one of these hard hats before the hat's intended purpose is dramatically diminished. I know some people/companies drill theirs and add all sorts of gizmos so they must retain some degree of their intended protection.

The reason I ask is if you can cut two vertical slots in the front about 2 or 3 inches apart, then you could mount any headlamp you like. Just remove the stock headband and replace with a length of double sided Velcro. Loop that through the hat and secure. This is what I do for bicycle helmets and the lights remain secure with full adjust-ability. Of course the big difference here is bicycle helmets have built in vents. But if you can cut a couple of slots, You may want to consider this approach.

You can not cut, drill, paint, or modify the hard had in any way, shape, or form. You can not even legally put stickers on it, although that one is often allowed to slide.

Found this
uke-uni-clip_nylon_250.jpg

Exactly what I was looking for.