CR123A incan users

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe this post belongs in the incan section... idk, tough call for me to make.

Briefly, when I started into flashlights, I was all about the LED and secondaries. It is a strange and unexpected twist of fate and personal preference that more and more of my interest has arrived at incan and primaries.

It's all about getting the amount of light I want, and no more, for benefit of runtime, which can be taken for granted with LED, but is a precious commodity in unregulated single-mode incan. I'm using IMR16340 (in E1e) for far brighter daytime lumens and far less runtime (and during the day, less runtime should be needed). Yet in this cell size, I've discovered only CR123A primaries (short of discovering a LiFePO4 option that won't :poof: at the high current draw) can give me the lower but just right amount of lumens for after dark, especially later after some dark adaptation is acquired.

I have now a couple Malkoff MDC AA bodies, which I seriously dig, and I've been running IMR14500 for a little more runtime, but it's still too bright for night time indoors. I plan to experiment with these hosts and 2x NiMH 1/2AA (variously 500mAh-750mAh) cells to achieve roughly the same brightness as a single CR123A on the same lamp to save money and have less waste for the landfill. As yet, I know very little about these relatively recently available NiMH 1/2AA cells. Soon.

On to the topic.

How many and much are heavy CR123A users going through them and spending on them, say, per month, or per week, or per night? I realize individually they can be had for $1/cell up to $2+/cell, but what I am interested in here, to gage my own future use as to what is excessive and/or decadent, what your CR123A budget is, generally.

Thanks. Oh, btw, my use is always with Tad Customs lamps, and the A3012 option is anticipated and hopefully imminent for use with CR123A primaries or 2xAA NiMH or less or like-voltages only (no LiFePO4 voltages with these, even if they're AW).

Last edited:
My opinion could always change, but at this time I recall the incandescent ate up CR123A like popcorn. SureFire® has the best professional business experience, I think, with incan and CR123A cells.

Their M3-CB CombatLight® with the 1.62" diameter head was my all-time favorite flashlight. One set of 3 CR123A's lasted me one 2.5 hour night hike through Garapito Canyon Trail in Topanga State Park.

Like incandescents though, night hiking has become a thing of the past. The Los Angeles Police Department on behalf of the Residents of the City has put a steel locked gate on Marvin Braude Mulholland Gateway Park; no activity after the Sun sets. No more living on the edge. LOL

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
My opinion could always change, but at this time I recall the incandescent ate up CR123A like popcorn. SureFire® has the best professional business experience, I think, with incan and CR123A cells.

Their M3-CB CombatLight® with the 1.62" diameter head was my all-time favorite flashlight. One set of 3 CR123A's lasted me one 2.5 hour night hike through Garapito Canyon Trail in Topanga State Park.

Like incandescents though, night hiking has become a thing of the past. The Los Angeles Police Department on behalf of the Residents of the City has put a steel locked gate on Marvin Braude Mulholland Gateway Park; no activity after the Sun sets. No more living on the edge. LOL

I grew up in Tarzana, right around the corner from Topanga Canyon! Go up Reseda to Bramar Country Club and up that way, or my street, VanAlden Ave.

I remember as a kid in the 60s/70s, being able to drive up VanAlden, or Reseda Blvd. on a dirt bike and up into the hills via the fire roads. Drive long enough and you'd see the Pacific Ocean!

Chris

Last edited: