Heavy Keychains

8secondride

Newly Enlightened
With a multitool (leatherman skeletool cx, 5oz) and a soon to be upgraded light, my keychain is getting kinda heavy. So I'm concerned about it tugging too much on my ignition, especially when driving over speed bumps. Anyone run into this? I'm thinking about a spring keychain like this to ease the strain when driving over bumps - DX SKU 94512

Sales Link Removed, replaced with SKU - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

8secondride

Newly Enlightened
Most of the weight is the skeletool which is made out of carbon fiber :) (ok fine, just the handle insert).

But given that I'm keeping the skeletool, are there any good alternatives to a detachable keychain with my ignition key on the other side?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have a skeletool CX hanging from your keychain? :eek:oo: There's a reason it comes with a pocket clip! :huh:

Viper715

Enlightened
I think its more like you have a keychain attached to you Skeletool. That much weight I've heard can damage your ignition and it's not a cheap thing to fix. They make different types of push to detach keychains that would be the way I would go.

Quick question what light do you have attached to your keychain? A Surefire C2?

8secondride

Newly Enlightened
Quick question what light do you have attached to your keychain? A Surefire C2?
I wish! Actually, right now I have a Streamlight Nano on my keychain which weighs almost nothing, but I just ordered a 1xAA TerraLUX TLF-1C1AA LightStar100 off Amazon to replace it. So you can see why I'm worried about weight with a skeletool and a 1xAA!

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get yourself one of those push to detach keychains from anywhere keys are cut.
Your car and wallet will thank you.

You may also consider pocket carrying some of the toys...errrr...tools.

Samy

Enlightened
I have a quick release attachment for my car keys so when i hop into the car i release the car key from the heavy bundle of keys/lights and put the car key into the ignition and the remainder into the centre console. I have 3-4 car keys on my myriad of keys so i just quick release whichever car key i need.

I don't fancy putting too much weight on the ignition barrels.

cheers

sunny_nites

Enlightened
My suggestion would be to look to duct tape, it truly is the wonder tool of the modern age.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
My suggestion would be to look to duct tape, it truly is the wonder tool of the modern age.

1327108647998.jpg

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a good thing I don't include the ignition key in my bunch. :D

keychain.jpg