is your wife/girlfriend/significant other supportive of your flashlight addiction?

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
i suppose "supportive" is a rather vague and subjective term ... however...

my wife thinks my newfound hobby is cool, although sometimes she doesnt understand why i have more than 1 or 2... she usually is game for me explaining the difference between throw/spill/hotspot etc but gets bored fast lol

doesnt care too much about the $ as long as she gets her share of "discretionary income" haha

i think she is a little bit happier that i am no longer pushing for another expensive watch :)

Newly Enlightened
Wives and SOs everywhere should rest assured that, even if a guy or gal is buying pricey custom lights, this hobby comes nowhere CLOSE to what a lot of other hobbies do, expense wise.

Watches are a pretty good example. Add to that firearms, motorcycles, auto racing, SCUBA diving, flying, etc.

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife doesn't understand my love of lights, and why I need so many.

She does like having them around (giggles like a little kid at the Maxabeam) and is supportive of me when I do want a new light.

I tend to not buy to many lights, but I do buy higher quality stuff these days, maybe 3-5 lights a year

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
My significant other is "tolerant", I'm tolerant of all kinds of silly stuff as well.
One of my longest married friends swears up and down that the secret of domestic tranquility is Separate Bank Accounts.

squirrel15

Newly Enlightened
HAHA no :( but that probably has to do with the knives, and being extremely picky and loving a good expensive pen :) luckily the watch thing never caught on, but you can never have enough useful objects right?

:crackup:

Last edited:

Racer

Enlightened
She's fine with it because we've come to an arrangement. I don't question her hobbies and she doesn't question mine.

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
My wife isn't supportive, but she also doesn't care. She knows I buy/sell/collect guns, knives, and now flashlights as a hobby, and she's cool with that. However, if she saw how much stuff I actually had, she may get a little upset :p.

Although, she really can't complain since she's always buying handbags and shoes that cost a lot more.

Scottiver

Enlightened
My dog is very supportive of my flashlight addiction. It means she gets to go on a nightly flashlight walk, which she likes.
I don't have a wife to complain. :)

edpmis02

Enlightened
She has collections of shoes, handbags, cheap watches and cheap jewelry. My 20+ lights will fit in a shoebox or two. (except for my two Mag 2 D's)

flashflood

Enlightened
She has collections of shoes, handbags, cheap watches and cheap jewelry. My 20+ lights will fit in a shoebox or two. (except for my two Mag 2 D's)

So true. In fact, I could fit half of my collection inside my 6D mag!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
My wife said the madness has to stop.

I think that was in 1980 or so?

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Nope ,Not one bit lol , she found out the $ for my Surefire 10x and it was on,:eek: It was so bad i had to sell it off so I whould not get any more grief when i used it.:(

Samy

Enlightened
My wife works days, I work nights. The postman delivers during the day when I am home and she is not. Problem solved. Just have to hide the credit card statements...

Cheers

DREW297

Newly Enlightened
My wife made the mistake of getting me into the hobby. i was hooked on cheap dx lights and
work lights. And then for Fathers day she gave me an O-light m30 and SF e2dl. Game over! Game over man!
It's her fault I'm like this. hahahaha. She has no problem with it unless i cut into her play $$$$.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
In 1984, I met a woman who was supportive of all my hobbies, and participated in many of them. That was rare and was one of the chief reasons I married her a year later. Throughout the past 27 years of marriage, we continue to enjoy and support each others' hobbies.

headers

Newly Enlightened
She laughs when I get a new one but then when she needs one and it is not in the right drawer or in her car or whatever then she changes her tune.

Also, when she goes camping with her friends and has 400 lumens in a hand sized light, she appreciates what she has. Everybody else on the campsite has a 2xD eveready with half empty cells, and she can light up the whole campground, if need be.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my longest married friends swears up and down that the secret of domestic tranquility is Separate Bank Accounts.

Bingo! That's how we do things here since 2004. Don't get me wrong, we also help each other out but after the bills are paid the "extra funds" can be spent however we like.

She also appreciates a useful light too and carries TWO lights with her as well.

davyro

Enlightened
My wife used to wonder why i've always had a passion for flashlights but now she's very supportive,she knows i work hard & i give most of my earnings to her for the bills & everything else she has to contend with.As long as i only buy a new light
when i've worked overtime she's great as we share my overtime money for our luxeries,mine being flashlights hers being face creams & moisturises.So overtime means happy days in my house.

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
My SO is my flashlight.

I had a female friend who said I was crazy for buying a Fenix LD10. After hanging out with me for a couple months, she started carrying a cheap Akoray that I gave her wherever she goes. She'll never buy a $15+ flashlight, but now she won't ever leave the house without one either.