Need Some Help With A 1925 Eveready 2-D Cell Flashlight

SeberHusky

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I have a flashlight that I just bought that I would like some help with.
It's this 1925 Eveready here (I think): http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Eve...ome-with-Ring-Hanger-and-Walleye-Lens-2D-1925

...only it has had the end-cap modified with two wires attached with nuts to little screws drilled through the cap. The cap has no spring inside, so I am having a hard time trying to figure out what the two red and black wires are for. Both wires are only attached to the cap, and none of them lead to the lightbulb at all. I pulled out two D batteries from the 1980's from the inside, so I assume that was the last time it was used.

I do not have my own photos of it yet, but here is the auction that includes photos: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380444387988?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It looks like some kind of modification, but for what use? I at first thought something for a 6-volt battery, but seeing as none of the wires lead to the bulb, that theory was gone. Any help?

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Is it possible the wires were used for a remote switch? Possibly one wire went to the missing spring which could have been insulated from the end cap.

SeberHusky

Newly Enlightened
The black wire goes to a big screw, which makes contact with the end of one battery (or not?), and then the red wire goes to a little screw which just sits next to the big screw. The big screw is raised with a bunch of washers, so that it sticks all the way up to the end of the battery, and the little screw sets flush with the inside of the cap surface. The lip where the missing spring would have been sitting is nowhere near the screws, and would not have even touched them anyways. I tried to put batteries in and turn it on with the normal switch, and it did not work. I tried connecting both wires together with batteries in, and that didn't work either. I have no idea why this was done.

I just now noticed the info stamp on the side of the flashlight. It is Eveready No. 2671
I also just made another discovery. Turning the switch and locking it in the on position, and then touching the black wire to the outside of the flashlight, and the flashlight works!

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Is either screw insulated from the end cap or do they both have electrical conductivity to the body?

SeberHusky

Newly Enlightened
Both of them are connected to the body I do believe. It looks like the larger screw has rubber washers around it, but I think those are just spacers, and don't really do anything. You tighten the nuts on the end cap, which clamps the wires down onto the end cap. The red wire does not appear to do anything at all.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Did you check for continuity with a circuit tester or multimeter? If both wires are electrically connected to the body, they can't serve any electrical purpose.