Princeton Tec Quad "broken"

macthek

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
We have an old, out of warranty, (not that this is covered under warranty!), Princetron Tec Quad that has been subjected to, I think, salt water and, I know, battery leakage.

The failing mode is; you push the button, all four leds light, you release the button, all four leds go out. Sorta handy for some lighting uses, but, not so much in headlamp land. ;)

Thinking the corrosion got past the seals to the switch/circuit module ?

My question to anyone who may help: How do you open the water resistant compartment to get to the switch / circuitry?

I'm not figuring this out so far and I'm reluctant to apply mechanical pressure and turn a ? 10 % ? working light into a 100 % throw it out, though that's probably where were headed here.

Oh, BTW, NOT my light. I don't break lights with water/battery abuse. Dropping them off ladders or running them over is my style !

Thanks for any help,,

jinya1004

Newly Enlightened
You can search for the Princeton Tec Eos mod thread on CPF. The PT Quad comes apart the exact same way.

In a nutshell you drill out the three plastic rivets underneath where the batteries go and everything comes apart.

rojos

Enlightened
Princeton Tec has a life time warranty for US customers. The Quad is supposed to be waterproof, so if the damage was caused by water ingress, then that means that the unit wasn't sufficiently waterproof and it should be covered by PT's warranty. Call them and get an RMA and they will replace it for you. You have to phone them, they usually don't respond to email.

International customers get a 10 year warranty. And I think the Quad was introduced in 2006 or something, so it should still be under warranty in that case as well.

If the damage was caused by leaky alkalines, that probably is not covered by PT's warranty. But it should be covered by the battery manufacturer's warranty. Most big time battery companies (Duracell, Energizer, Rayovac, etc) will cover damage caused by leaking batteries if you can document the damage. Streamlight has a very handy page referencing the warranties for the big battery companies.

macthek

Newly Enlightened
Thank you both for the replies;

rojos , didn't realize PT's warranty was so generous, very good to know. I'll have to ask the owner re: battery manufacturer, battery type etc. .That might take care of it.

jinya1004 , I didn't get the mechanical similarity of the EOS and Quad from the searching I did. I see there is a lot of info on the EOS. Shouldn't be too difficult if it comes to that.

Thanks again,,