Surgery by "Arc Light"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sotyakr

Enlightened
Surgery by \"Arc Light\"

One of our pot-bellied pigs at work developed an intestinal blockage and required surgery today. Just as our vet was preparing to make an incision, the bulb in the surgical light went out. Unfortunately, they didn't have a replacement bulb on hand, so it was my LSL-S to the rescue. While propping up the pig's head to keep an IV flowing, I kept the LSL aimed into the surgery field and it provided just the right amount of light for the vet to do her work. We also used my supervisor's M*g 5 cell, but the LSL (w/TSP-123) was used for most of the procedure since it could be easily moved around to illuminate the area needed without smacking someone in the head. The (Yuntong) battery lasted for a good chunk of the surgery (almost 3 hours) and just started to flicker into moon mode as the last sutures were going in. Wish I had my AA pack, or for that matter, a spare 123 with me today! In any case, the surgery seems to have gone well, and the pig was up and around a little while later.

Yet another reason why I'm glad to EDC an Arc.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surgery by Arc

Well, that's definitely an interesting use for the Arc. Maybe Peter will put it on the "Testimonials" page of the Arc website.

Glad to hear that the pig pulled through. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

try doing that with an l4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

great story! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Harrkev

Enlightened

"This flashlight has been tested on animals." PETA will be picketing Peter's office! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sotyakr

Enlightened

I was kind of concerned about accidentally dropping the Arc into the open cavity! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

ick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

at least you could feel safe washing it off afterwards! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well SF have the "Wine light" so it's only natural for Arc to go one better and release the "Swine light" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I know, I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

sotyakr

Enlightened

Just so my Arc-AAA LE didn't feel left out, it got bit of use during another surgery today. One of our goats was being spayed by a consulting vet who performed the surgery lapriscopically. Just a few tiny incisions and the surgery was done using a probe with a camera, and instruments inserted into the abdomen. Minimally invasive and very quick recovery. Very cool stuff. Anyway, the room was darkened in order to get a better view of the video monitor, and I used the LE several times to help the vets find their instruments and the ports to insert them. She (the goat) was back on all fours in no time.

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened

A flashlight used in a goat surgery?

You've got to be "kid"-ing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Of course the new Surefire A2 "Pork"-u-pine
would have been useful for the previously noted procedure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

(sorry)

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.