Fenix T1 Review - Picture heavy (Outdoor shots added)

uh1c

Newly Enlightened
Candlefranky: "You've tested, while you hold your flashligt in your hand? At what temperature?" No, I have a life. :) I let it tail stand. Room temperature of about 68 deg. F. Really, it does not get hot at all. Just slightly warm. Really. BTW: runtime: I have left it on for about 17 hours so far and it is now very dim (less than original Arc-AAA) but usable.

F

FlameoftheWest

The head on my roomates light screwed off and the clip was easily removed, I don't know why people are cutting the clip off.

minitech17

Newly Enlightened
Hi WadeF,
which one do you like it the most?
The Fenix T1 or the CL1H V3?

Spotpuff

Newly Enlightened
So 18650's won't work in this light?

Aren't they just the size of 2 RCR123 cells and the same voltage (3.7)? I don't get why they wouldn't work, but I'm a battery noob.

fa__

Newly Enlightened
No, 18650 are 18mm in diameter , as RCR123=16340 -> 16 mm in diameter.
But 17670 will fit (tightly)
Generally speakin li ion are named like this:
XXYYS
XX= diameter
YY= legnth
S= shape, 0 for circular (round)
You'll find better explanations by searching on this forum

Spotpuff

Newly Enlightened
No, 18650 are 18mm in diameter , as RCR123=16340 -> 16 mm in diameter.
But 17670 will fit (tightly)
Generally speakin li ion are named like this:
XXYYS
XX= diameter
YY= legnth
S= shape, 0 for circular (round)
You'll find better explanations by searching on this forum

Ah thanks for the explanation; so 17670's are 17mm around, 67mm long and cylindrical.

Makes sense. I was wondering who came up with these crazy names :)

Anyone know why 18650's are 2000+ mAh and RCR123s and 17670's are still < 2k mAh? :(

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi WadeF,
which one do you like it the most?
The Fenix T1 or the CL1H V3?

Have to go with the CL1H V3. I'm not crazy about the clip on the T1, and the clip on the CL1H is nicer, and removable. I can't change out anything with the T1 with regards to the reflector and emitter, but I can with the CL1H.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clip on T1 seems to be loose, so if you can manage to take off the bezel it'll probably come off real easy.

djblank87

Enlightened
WadeF is you want me to move these pictures let me know.

I compared my Malkoff M60 Q4 running, hosted by a 6P, with Z49 tailcap and powered by AW RCR 123's and the Fenix T1:

Mag85117.jpg

Mag85116.jpg

Fenix T1, Tree Top over 35':
Mag85133.jpg

Malkoff M60 Q4, Tree Top over 35':
Mag85132.jpg

Area #1:
Mag85129.jpg

Fenix T1, Distance To First Tree 30':
Mag85131.jpg

Malkoff M60, Distance To First Tree 30':
Mag85130.jpg

Fexix T1, Distance To Wall 21':
Mag85119.jpg

Malkoff M60 Q4, Distance To Wall 21':
Mag85118.jpg

Just some more outdoor shots to add to the mix. :thumbsup: I believe I had the camera at -1/ ISO 200 or something to that affect.

minitech17

Newly Enlightened
Have to go with the CL1H V3. I'm not crazy about the clip on the T1, and the clip on the CL1H is nicer, and removable. I can't change out anything with the T1 with regards to the reflector and emitter, but I can with the CL1H.

Thanks WadeF at least i have a partner here ;)
The CL1H is so special to me because it can be upgradeable to R bins,i'm sure Dereelight is gonna surprise us comes new year :naughty:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
djblank, thanks for those pics! It looks like the T1 is brighter, at least in the hot spot, is that how it looked to you in person? I was expecting the new Malkoff M60 to out throw the T1.

djblank87

Enlightened
Hey WadeF,
The Malkoff M60 Q4 will out throw to my eye the T1. The T1 does have have a brighter hotspot and is a very bright light as you already know. I'm really impressed with the build and lumen output on the Fenix T1.

I took the T1 to the range tonight and as other have stated in different threads, there are a few things that need to be improved. But most of those improvements have been stated so no need to beat a dead horse here.

Also, the clip can be removed very easily on my Fenix T1.........I just unscrewed the head and pulled it right off. I'm able to put it right back on with no ill side effects to the lights body and so on.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey WadeF,
The Malkoff M60 Q4 will out throw to my eye the T1. The T1 does have have a brighter hotspot and is a very bright light as you already know. I'm really impressed with the build and lumen output on the Fenix T1.

I took the T1 to the range tonight and as other have stated in different threads, there are a few things that need to be improved. But most of those improvements have been stated so no need to beat a dead horse here.

Also, the clip can be removed very easily on my Fenix T1.........I just unscrewed the head and pulled it right off. I'm able to put it right back on with no ill side effects to the lights body and so on.

Unscrew head or bezel? Looks to me if bezel is removed the clip come off easy, but bezel is impossible to remove.

djblank87

Enlightened
The head/bezel turn right off on mine exposing the the emitter and O-ring's and so on ......let me take some pictures and get them up. I will update this post shortly.

This takes about thrity second to do and you do not have to destroy the clip of the Fenix T-1:

First a shot with the clip installed:
Mag85138.jpg

A Shot with the emitter exposed and the head/bezel off:
Mag85139.jpg

Clip is removed:
Mag85141.jpg

Head/Bezel reinstalled and clip is in perfect condition:
Mag85142.jpg

Another shot:
Mag85143.jpg

Picture quailty sucks being that I took those in just a few minutes but I hope this help.

My light works great and I have put the clip right back on a few times now no issues what so ever.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most of our T1's have the bezel's/heads glued together. Maybe Fenix stopped doing that to allow for the removal of the cilp.