Titanium Aleph & E Series compatible heads/tubes/tails**Announcing TnC Ti EDC-Flex**

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium Aleph & E Series compatible heads/tubes/tails**Announcing TnC Ti EDC-Flex**

EDIT: This thread began as an interest thread for both Ti and Aluminum parts. The Ti folks showed more interest and we are focusing now on Ti parts but aluminum parts will follow with enough interest. The thread solely for aluminum parts is located here: ***Aluminum E Series heads & tubes/tails***TnC EDC-Flex Interest/Sales Thread***

Please post interest as parts will be available in the order interest was shown.

EDIT: I've posted ***Titanium 27, 20 & 19mm Aleph & E Series compatible heads /TnC EDC-Flex Sales*** Very soon I will be posting the complete 27mm Ti EDC-Flex heads on the thread in the link above. We are currently working on the EDC-Flex Ti tubes and tails and these will be machined soon. Please see drawings and details below while we choose what design and direction to take.

Since the creation of the TnC SF-Series line of flashlights and parts we've received regular requests for E Series compatible parts. Some of this stems I think from confusion regarding the "SF" included in "SF-Series". "SF" wasn't intended it to be short hand for Surefire. It's true the SF-Series tail cap switches are Surefire E Series compatible and we have an adaptor to use E Series compatible heads (Alephs) on SF-Series tubes using TnC canisters, but still the SF-Series was not intended as an E Series compatible product.

Thus the purpose of this interest thread; to seek out what our customers truly want directly. For those who wish to have the most modular Lego set of lights built (in aluminum), compatible with a number of custom parts, there is the SF-Series. For those who just want Surefire E Series compatible Ti light/parts with fewer parts there is the new TnC EDC-Flex Series.

Unlike the SF-Series with four body parts: tail, tube, power pack (adaptor) and head, the EDC-Flex will likely only have two parts: tail/tube in one part and the head. The exception is with 18650 and 18500 tubes which require an adaptor for optimum performance and contact. We will also build our own one piece E Series compatible canisters (with enough interest). These will be cross compatible with other popular E Series parts and vice versa or will be easily upgradeable.

The first run of heads will be 20mm, then 19mm, and then 27mm, and/or a very small run of 38mm heads. All these heads will be built to use McGizmo reflectors which are in short supply at this time and will be avialable as an option, as well as will lenses.

The tubes will be 18650 and then CR123 to start with. In the future, with interest, we will build CR2, 17670, AA and 18500 sizes as well as extenders for popular sizes for those who wish to use 2x or 3x AAs, or 2x CR123s, 2x 18650s etc.

The advantages of an integrated tube/tail are significant and thus the reason TnC has been machining this configuration for some time. On tubes such as the 18650, there are large variations in the battery sizes that are available. With a typical E Series tube an oversized battery may bottom out on the end of the tube. With an integrated tail/tube the tail spring can take up the excess length. If a builder allows for the extra length of the larger cells, it can become problematic to get the shorter cells to work without extenders or contact points being added. Another advantage is integrity which is obvious. The less parts and seams the better integrity. Lastly there is cost. This is also obvious, the less parts/threads/masking, the lower the cost as well.

We will maintain support of TnC's original canisters for use in E Series lights using SF-Series power packs (adaptors) for those who wish to have the most in modularity, adjustability and ease or swapping components in the field; however the advantages with the EDC-Flex will be important to those who already own E Series parts.

Below are drawings of the 38mm EDC-Flex Ti heads (without bezel). There are only going to be 14-18 pcs. available with reflectors. The rest can be purchased as empty heads (including 0-rings and bezels), or with lenses and/or with heat sinks for customs multi LED setups.

We are sourcing Saphire and UCL lenses for these heads. We are going to try to match the lenses to the A3 Aleph specs. so folks can order these lenses as well for use in their existing heads.

38mmhead4de8.jpg

38mmhead3tr7.jpg

Below is a drawing of the TnC EDC-Flex 18650 v5-2 Tube with TnC 38mm Head

Below are pictures and drawings of the TnC EDC-Flex 27L (27-L, 27-XR, 27-S) Ti heads. Below is a picture of Long heads. On the left is the v1, the second from left is the v3, then the v1 followed on the right by the v5.

This is version v1 Long. I will list all the long variation candidates v1, v3, v5 and v6 in a row followed by the short versions (McR-27).

Below is the v3 Long 27mm head.

Below is the v5 long.

Below is the v6 Long.

Below is v1 Short 27mm head (McR-27 reflector).

Below is the v3-2 short 27mm head.

Below is the v5 short.

Here are the last drawings for the 27mm Ti EDC-Flex heads for this run. Below is the v6.

Below is the v6-2 27mm short design.

To summarize the 27mm EDC-Flex options for interest are:

v1 short or long
v3 long
v3-2 short
v5 short or long
v6 short or long
v6-2 short

The head options are:
19mm $225
20mm $215
27mm $265 (fits McR-27 reflectors)
27mmL $265 (fits McR-27L, 27XR, 27-S reflectors)
38mm $335
larger head TBA

Prices include crenulated or smooth Bezels. McR reflectors without lenses are $18 extra (19mm, 20mm, 27mm). McR reflectors and UCLs for 19mm and 20mm heads is $28 extra. McR reflectors and UCLs for all 27mm heads are $30 extra. McR-38 reflectors and UCLs are $40 extra. Sapphire lenses and McR reflectors are $40 extra for 19mm and 20mm heads.

Shipping is $3 First Class CONUS, or $6 Priority CONUS, both with delivery confirmation. International is $6 First Class and $15 Priority Mail.

A vote was put to the folks posting in the thread and they picked from the versions below. V1 and V3 were picked more than V2 or V4. This is a tiny run, but we machined some V3 and V1 heads. A small number of bare aluminum heads will also be sold. The question was also asked if bezels should be crenulated or smooth and crenulated was picked unanimously. These bezels and lenses should fit Aleph and HDS heads etc. Heads shown below are without bezels.

Below is the V1 with Crenulated Bezel on the left and V3 with crenulated on the right.

The 18650 EDC-Flex Ti tubes/tails have anti roll, tail standing, lanyard holes, Ti clip holes, and a flare (lobes or ears) for finger grips, however the grips will not interfere with pocket carry as do grips on all the parts I've seen offered to date by others. We don't intend to build the same parts others have built and have additional innovations we'll announce if our efforts appear warranted. Below is a picture of an EDC-Flex 18650 Ti tube/tail with a 18650 extender and gold plated contact E Series head adaptor. EDIT: The two lobe finger grip is not feasible in Ti due to excessive cost, but we will build these in aluminum.

These tubes will be custom machined to fit buyers' expressed interest. Options Include: EDIT: at this time we are only building the Cr123 and 18650 v1 and v5 tubes for Ti, aluminum tubes will come next.
CR123 cell tube: v1 & v5-3 $225 (optional Ti clip $15 extra)
18650 cell tube: v1 & v5-2 $399 (optional Ti clip $15 extra)
CR2 cell tube
AA/1850
(Pricing TBA)

Tube extenders may be available in all sizes with expressed interest.

1. Wide or narrow tail guard (lip at the end, wide for better tail standing)
2. 0, 1 or 2 tritium slots. 2 slots eliminates the possibility of a pocket clip when milled in the same location of clip screws. An option of trits milled into wide tail guard may be available if interest is expressed
3. Pocket clip (for all tubes except CR2)
4. No pocket clip holes or Pocket clip milled holes without clip
5. full round finger grip or "two ear" finger grip
6. 0, 1 or 2 lanyard holes

pict0047rf0.jpg

Below is the EDC-Flex tube with anti roll, finger grip lobes, Ti Clip, integrated tail switch, and lanyard holes visible. Also visible is the 18650 EDC-Flex 18650 extender and E Series adaptor with delrin spacer and gold plated copper contact.

pict0044on4.jpg

Below is the 18650 EDC-Flex tube with extender installed next to (2) 18650 battery cells.

pict0048vo8.jpg

Below is a drawing of the Ti EDC-Flex CR123 v1 tube with round tail guard.

cr123titube1zg3.jpg

In the pictures below I'd like to introduce the v5-2 Cr123 integrated tail design. EDIT: The latest revision is the v5-3 as pictured in the first Ti machined EDC-Flex Cr123 tube as seen after these next tube drawings.

As was built into v5 head designs, below is a close up cross section of the fine detail in these fins. I don't believe I've seen these offered before the EDC-Flex Series.

Now we see what this tube looks like when mated with a v5 27mm EDC-Flex E Series compatible head for a complete light. Missing is the crenulated bezel on the head.

And one last view of the v5 head and v5-2 tube/tail

Below is the EDC-Flex Ti Cr123 v5-3 Straight tube with v5 19mm head.

Below is a drawing of a 18650 Ti EDC-Flex tube round finger grip, no trit, no pocket clip and wide tail for improved tail standing.

2pc18650tube10fx6.jpg

To recap we will be building tubes very soon and are seeking interest and input in designs on these integrated tube/tails. We are also open to taking interest on regular E series tubes (without integrated tails) as well as separate E Series tail caps. We believe we can offer novel designs in these as well. We are also taking interest in Cr123 tube extenders and 18650 tube extenders. We will probably build Cr123 tube/tails first and then move onto 18650 tubes. Other tube sizes such as Cr2, AA/18500 and extenders might also be built if there is interest. It might be a nice feature to have a multi AA tube for running E series parts on regular AA cells. Please chime in! All parts will be built in very limited runs. Please express interest in exactly what you would like to see and try to keep to that interest as we may not build more.

For those who want the most in capacity the TnC C-Flex aluminum AW C Li-ion tubes and E Series adaptors are already available on FS *C-Flex* C Li-ion battery Tubes, Extenders & Adaptors for E & C Series, TnC & Bulk and TnC C-Flex on the TnC online store. With expressed interest in this thread and the C-Flex thread we may build a very limited run of these parts in Ti.

EDIT: If there is interest in the future we will build TnC E Series compatible Canisters (LEs). When that happens we will seek input on the following below. Folks have asked us to focus our offering so we will start a specific thread just for Canisters in the future.

LED
Seoul
Cree
K2
Rebel
(depending on availability other LEDs may come into play)
DIY kit with or without LED

Driver
Piglets (original buck boost multi level driver if available)
FLuPICs
I can source other drivers as needed or sell as DIY kits with/without drivers

Last edited:

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: **TnC EDC-Flex Series Interest/Announcement Thread**E Series Compatible Lights/Pa

reserved

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: **TnC EDC-Flex Series Interest/Announcement Thread**E Series Compatible Lights/Pa

Interest in a E-series compatible 38 mm head with the DIY kit, Black HA

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Cuso,

Thanks for your interest. I guess I need to edit my post. These lights will be complete kits with tubes/tail/heads/new EDC-Flex canisters. I know this is somewhat different for TnC at this point, but there is a reason for this so please let me know what tube you prefer. If you like the idea or don't like the idea of a one piece integrated tube/tail then please let me know that as well, however in the interest of delivering on this first small run quickly it will be one choice or the other and not both (probably not).

Also, even in a DIY kit it would be good to know what LED you plan on using so we can gauge which LEDs to build the canisters to fit. Seouls and Crees will work on one can and K2s will work on another.

Thanks

***Edit*** These Ti parts will be available separately. The aluminum parts will as well in a subsequent offering.

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

IC, I was under the impression that individual parts would be available :(....

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

IC, I was under the impression that individual parts would be available :(....

The tubes/tails may be available separately, but not the heads. The canisters as well may be available separately. I also added the possible option of Titanium. Sorry for any confusion.

However since I did not make this clear for you in my post, I'll make an exception for you. But can you try to come up with your own 38mm reflector in WTB? That would work better for me. I have less than 20x 38mm reflectors. I hope you understand. Thanks

Russki

Enlightened

This is some good staff. I love my Aleph series lights.
I would be interested in all sizes heads with 18650 tubes depend off price.
For starter I would take 20mm head with 18650 tubes Seoul can, tail standing switch.
I build my own LE, so I would take driver board separate, 150/800 piglet will be good.
I also interested in 2AA, maybe 3AA tubes. Any ideas on price yet?
Thanks for doing this; there is great demand for such lego-lights.:twothumbs

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool stuff Eric!

I like the clip/collar combo. I haven't seen an anti-roll collar and clip work together yet. And a collar that doesn't interfere with pocket carry is key.

I'll bet there will be interest in a 38 mm Ti light. I'm in for a Ti 38mm head without reflector for sure.

Can't wait to see more details.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Russki,

Thanks for you interest. I'll try to get pricing soon. I have to get some drawings to Chris. I guess we'll try to price the various range of parts. I want to get one of these runs out quickly and that's why I'm focusing on a single head and a single tube/tail right now. Otherwise it would take much longer to release an entire series.

Hi Dennis,

The A3 would be costly no doubt in Ti, but it would also be nice. We'll see if there is demand. It's a lot of setup just for your one light, but you are worth it :grin2:

iconoclast

Enlightened

Awesome idea! more lego parts!

as for interest:

1. Head:
All of the above (20mm, 27mm, 38mm)

2. Tube/tail
yes, both
(18650, CR123)

3. LED
Any of the choices is fine. The more options here the better.

4. Driver
Either of these options is fine.

5. Finish
Black HA
Titanium

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Dennis,

The A3 would be costly no doubt in Ti, but it would also be nice. We'll see if there is demand. It's a lot of setup just for your one light, but you are worth it :grin2:

Thanks Eric!

I'm positive there will be more interest in a 38mm Ti head, unfortunately this forum for some reason doesn't get enough views. Come on guys, spread the word. I suggest posting some proto pics in the Modified Lights forum to direct some traffic here, or perhaps an interest thread in the B/S/T forum for a more accurate gauge.

I envision a killer multi-emitter light using the 38mm head and I'm sure there are others who pine for the same. I think there are only a very few Ti 38mm heads in existence, they just aren't obtainable.

And that's not to detract from the same in alum, a much more practical and affordable option.

When designing the 38mm head, I'd like to see a mod-friendly inner design. Perhaps a flat ledge to attach or adhere a custom heatsink instead of a full taper. Some tapped holed in that ledge would be ideal for bolting a custom sink.

A crenelated bezel option would also be great, but there are more of those out there so compatibility with them (Aleph 3) would be welcome.

Undoubtedly it will be pricey, but I'm sure it will be a run of more than one.

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium Interest List

Interest List : Updated May 19th 2008
--------------------------------------------

27mm Interest List

(Please specify 27mm Short or 27mm long - see Post # 277)

1) iconoclast 27mm Short / Long ???
2) dmdrewitt V3 Long
3) bmstrong (all heads?)
4) donn_ 2x 27mm Long and 4x UCL lenses
5) BigBoy 27mm Short / Long ???
6) jch79 27mm Short / Long ???
7) starfiretoo 2 x 27mm Short
8) maxspeeds 27mm Short / Long ???
9) Groundhog66 27mm Short / Long ???
10) Billybright V3 Long
11) senorcosas 27mm Short / Long ???
12) blitzlicht65 V3 short, crenulated (without reflector and without lense).
13) MorpheusT1 V3

Titanium

Russki
-------

19mm V1 with crenulated bezel, without reflector and lens,

18650 tube, lip at the end, 1 tritium slot and pocket clip,
"Two ear" finger grip, 2 lanyard holes.

LED Zeppelin
------------
Ti 38mm head without reflector
1 x tube (not specified)
1 x 20mm V3 crenellated

iconoclast
----------
(20mm, 27mm, 38mm) heads
18650, CR123 cell tube

dmdrewitt
-----------
19mm V3 Head, Sapphire window, Reflector.

20mm V3 head.

38mm Head with 18650 EDC flex Ti tube with finger grip lobes, no lanyard holes, Narrow Tail, pocket clip, 1 trit slot.

27mm Head. Cell tube to be chosen later once pics seen.

CR123A tubes. Trit in tail, no lanyard hole
18650 Tubes, Trit in tail, no lanyard hole
Poss CR2 Tube, Trit in tail, no lanyard hole

bmstrong
---------
I'm interested in Titanium heads and bodies as well.

donn_
------
I'll commit to $5,000 worth of your Ti inventory, sight-unseen.
2x 27mm Long and 4x UCL lenses
2 x 38mm head
123 and 18650 cell tubes

V1 20mm Head, crenelated bezels and reflector/lens package
V3 20mm Head, crenelated bezels and reflector/lens package

JohnTZ
--------
I will comitt $1500
1 x 38mm head, crenelated bezel
1 x 18650 clicky body

BigBoy
------
Interested in 20 or 27 mm head, 18650 cell tube

easilyled
--------

18650 tube
I'd like one with a 2-eared finger grip with 2 lanyard holes.
No clip, an extra tritium instead where the clip holes would have been.
I'd like a wide tail guard please (lip at the end for superior tail standing)

38mm head
with P7 set-up, if available
If not available, then with multi-sink, multi-led arrangement.

jch79
-----
Head: 20mm V3 and 27mm
Tube/tail: 18650 & CR123 (clipped 1x123 tube with the grip)
LED: Whatever!
Driver: GDuP

tdurand
-------
1 x 20mm in ti with K2 V1 body style
1 x 38mm in ti w/ buck boost multi level driver and Seoul P7, w/ reflector w/ extra lens
1 x 38mm with reflector and lens
1 x 18650 body
1x 18650 extender
1 x CR123 body
1 x 123 extender

starfiretoo
----------
1 x 19mm V1
1 x 19mm V3
(Any chance of a smooth, thin, rounded edge bezel for my V1?)

2 x 27mm Short
1 x 38mm head
I am interested in a simpler 17650 tube with heavy ribs like the McGizmo tube too
1 x 20mm V1
1 x 20mm V3

EDC-Flex Ti 18650 tube with the finger grip/clip attachment

3 trit slots, 120 degrees apart ?

1 tritium slot and pocket clip ?

DFiorentino
-----------
1 x 20mm Head
1 x 38mm Head
1 x 18650 Tube

maxspeeds
----------
1 x 27mm Head

FrogmanM
----------
---------

thom
-----
I need to add my interest in a V1 & V3, 19 in Ti.
1 x 20mm in ti with K2 or later & FLuPIC
1 x 38mm in ti w/ buck boost multi level driver and Seoul P7, w/ reflector w/ extra lens
1 x 18650 body, 1x 18650 extender
1 x CR123 body
1 x 123 extender

Groundhogg66
--------------
20mm and 27mm head in Ti probably w/piglet and SSCP4

flashlight
---------
19mm V1 Sapphire Window
19mm V3 crenallated bezel

billybright
---------
Multi LED -38mm Ti Head w/2X123/18650 body
1 x V3 19mm Ti head

Ti v3 27mm long
Ti v5 19XR

gjg
---
38mm complete light
18650 Trit slots, no clip

alex_in_germany
----------------
1 x 19mm with crenulated bezel, V1 Style ,with reflector and lens.

senorcosas
-----------
20mm V1, with crenelated bezel rings, reflector and window.
20mm V3, with crenelated bezel rings, reflector and window.
27mm, with crenelated bezel rings, reflector and window.
38mm, with crenelated bezel rings, reflector and window.

kenster
-------
20mm Ti Head V3
More to follow :nana:

Icarus
-------
1x E-series compatible Ti 38mm head with multi-led heatsink (DIY kit).

MorpheusT1
-----------
1x Ti EDC-Flex 19mm head ,V3 , Reflector and lense
1 x 27mm Head. Design choice later.

Big Honu
---------
1 x 19mm V3 Head

blitzlicht65
----------
1x 27mm V3 short (without reflector and without lense).
1x CR123-tube

Aluminium Interest List
---------------------------

Cuso
-----

Stillphoto
---------
20mm V3 head
Possibly 27mm head
123 and 18560 bodies

Skalomax
---------
Any 38mm or 27mm head

jeffb
-----
20mm head, CR123 body,Seoul, Piglet, Bare and potentially Black HA

Russki
------
27L with smooth bezel, 27XR reflector and lens. HA Black.

Icarus
-------
5x E-series compatible Alu 27mm head in HA Natural (DIY kit).
5x E-series compatible Alu 38mm head with multi-led heatsink in HA Natural (DIY kit).

DrunkenDonut
-------------
38mm head

Last edited:

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm interested in Titanium heads and bodies as well.

The more pressing question I have? How about a simple CR123 twisty pack?

donn_

Flashaholic

Most definitely in for 27 and 38mm heads in Ti. Likely 2 of each to start. Also for integrated clicky bodies in Ti, both 123 and 18650.

Dennis..please put me on the list for a 38mm Ti with a multi-LED build. I've got a couple of versions in mind.

Last edited:

JohnTz

Enlightened

I would be in for a 38mm head and a 18650 clicky body. Both in Ti. I would love for someone to do a multi-led 38mm light for me in Ti. So Mr. Led Zepp let me know.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Donn, I knew you'd make an appearance as our connossieur!

It's great to be in this early so that Eric can get some feedback from us. Mod-friendly design and dare I ask, heatsinks, will go a long way to make this a reality.

Actually peering inside the alum 38 mm TnC proto head I have yet to mod but was fortunate to score, the stepped inner design looks very acceptable for fabricating a mating heatsink.

We need to remember that the initial run is for complete lights or kits, not loose parts. But if I read correctly, the 38 mm heads alone would be considered without reflectors. So unless Eric indicates otherwise, plan your interest with that in mind. I believe this is due to the short supply of reflectors, and this approach will allow more reflectors to see use in functioning lights instead of Lego bins, and be enjoyed by more members.

I would be in for a 38mm head and a 18650 clicky body. Both in Ti. I would love for someone to do a multi-led 38mm light for me in Ti. So Mr. Led Zepp let me know.

John, I could certainly build some, as well as some other more skilled modders (Icarus and Mac come to mind). But given enough interest maybe we can get Eric to produce a kit for them too. It would basically be a heatsink designed to drop in the head with dimensions to fit a certain LED/reflector combo.

We'll let Eric and Chris take this as far as they want, then the modders can pick up from there. It is definitely doable.

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic

Dennis..can you post pics of the proto 38mm, inside and out?

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Donn, here's the link to the proto head item description.

EDIT: The "Proto" head is not a prototype of this EDC-Flex 38 mm head. I just call it Proto as the name it was listed as. The design is independent of this run.

Last edited:

JohnTz

Enlightened

John said:
That sounds like a plan. I have been trying to figure out a way to get a multi-led 38mm light in Ti! I'm sure we can find a way to finish them. All we need is TNC to build the 38mm Ti heads.:poke: