• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
for those of you who may not have caught it, HERE's Peter's thread on this light. He is offering some options that I am not and I suggest those of you who may be interested, get a handle on what will be available. I also suggest that any technical questions on the driver be directed to Peter since he is the expert on it.

A point of clarification on the O-rings: The red O-ring that seals between the head and battery tube is silicone and the same size as used on the Arc AAA. the other O-rings are EPDM.

faco

Enlightened
I'm guilty, I have been asking for and wanting a Ti AAA light from Don or Peter for many years. Its now available :thumbsup:

I worked overtime today (I'm able to fund the light) :) and have a day off on Monday (lucky me) :) Around 7-8am Monday morning I will be glued to the refresh button...... :party:

RocketTomato

Enlightened
I found the info on the Arc site.

The driver is not compatible with rechargeable li-ions and 1.5 V batteries are recommended. You can use 1.7 V primary lithiums, but you will overdrive the LED to an even greater extent.

Rico801

Newly Enlightened
Oh man, I think I'm gonna be sick! I have to take my wife out of town this weekend and she'll kill me if I'm in front of my computer while on vacation! Oh well, this light is more important. :D

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Very classy looking light. Another light to look forward to.

With the price of just $150 and many commenting on wanting several, it may be fair to offer one per customer. This will allow more people the chance to land one, from this limited wave run.
+1 on both points! :twothumbs

Please limit these to one per customer, at least for a full day so that those of us who will be working at time of release will have at least a chance. :kiss:

K-T

*Moderator*
I believe two are needed - one for me and one for the wife. :D

Great style. :bow:

The Coach

Enlightened
Oh man, I think I'm gonna be sick! I have to take my wife out of town this weekend and she'll kill me if I'm in front of my computer while on vacation! Oh well, this light is more important. :D

Rico, don't forget that old saying, "Death before dishonor or missing a McGizmo".

I just made that up, but I am old (and I crack myself up). :crackup:

Rico801

Newly Enlightened
Rico, don't forget that old saying, "Death before dishonor or missing a McGizmo".

I just made that up, but I am old (and I crack myself up). :crackup:

:crackup: You're right on there! There is always another vacation and always another wife, but who am I kidding there will always be "something" to get.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dan Fo,
Those split rings look very interesting! I just ordered a couple sizes to check them out. I have a strong suspicion that they may be NITINOL in which case they will have excellent memory! I would love to find a company who could make me some split rings in NITINOL but the process is not trivial. If they are NITINOL, it may be that in very cold conditions, the split ring is relatively easy to deform but will snap back to shape when it warms up.

Again, I am just guessing on the actual metal but these could be pretty cool and have the added feature of being considered a "break away" link or safety "fuse" in the system.

Thanks for the link!

EDIT: On further investigation, these are NITINOL! Cool!

Last edited:

Dan FO

Enlightened
Dan Fo,
Those split rings look very interesting! I just ordered a couple sizes to check them out. I have a strong suspicion that they may be NITINOL in which case they will have excellent memory! I would love to find a company who could make me some split rings in NITINOL but the process is not trivial. If they are NITINOL, it may be that in very cold conditions, the split ring is relatively easy to deform but will snap back to shape when it warms up.

Again, I am just guessing on the actual metal but these could be pretty cool and have the added feature of being considered a "break away" link or safety "fuse" in the system.

Thanks for the link!

EDIT: On further investigation, these are NITINOL! Cool!
Yes, they are NiTi. They are meant to operate in water so I don't think there will be any problem as some northern fishing waters get down to almost freezing. The 30 Lb one should hold a flashlight pretty well. :)

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks great!! I would sooooo buy one of those!!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dan,
It all depends on where the transition temp is on the metal. Those might be less than ideal for ice fishing! :D

In more temperate waters, there would be no problem. The surf has dropped over here now and the winds have backed off so our waters are coming around to being more inviting. I visited my favorite reef today and came across Little T. First time I have seen him in months. I showed him the Sapphire:

Little-T-Sapphire.jpg

I thought I had him but he backed off and says he will wait for a headlamp with remote bite switch. :shrug: (his PayPal account is at low tide right now anyway)

Tink

Newly Enlightened
Dan,
It all depends on where the transition temp is on the metal. Those might be less than ideal for ice fishing! :D

In more temperate waters, there would be no problem. The surf has dropped over here now and the winds have backed off so our waters are coming around to being more inviting. I visited my favorite reef today and came across Little T. First time I have seen him in months. I showed him the Sapphire:

Little-T-Sapphire.jpg

I thought I had him but he backed off and says he will wait for a headlamp with remote bite switch. :shrug: (his PayPal account is at low tide right now anyway)

He is almost as splendid as the Sapphire. Breathtaking, each in their own way.