DX Driver Board Tests - Efficiency Results Included

Re: Newly Designed DX Buck Driver (Kennan Like) 90% Efficiency

Interesting that the 3 LED lines should be so close but the 1 LED lines aren't. Thanks for posting those.

You're modifying the driver to run 3 LEDs? Do I understand that correctly? What else did you modify from there to get it to handle the higher output voltage?

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think they have to modify anything. That's one reason why these drivers are very nice to use.

I don't think they have to modify anything. That's one reason why these drivers are very nice to use.

Errr, the graphs were for the chips- but that didn't mean to me the components were capable of it.

But if they are.... then I'm going to be buying quite a few of these and using transformers to power devices.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Errr, the graphs were for the chips- but that didn't mean to me the components were capable of it.
You quoted me making a comment about the comparison graph linked by Ekke in post 36. Where did you get the idea that he removed the chip from its driver board to test it separately?

You quoted me making a comment about the comparison graph linked by Ekke in post 36. Where did you get the idea that he removed the chip from its driver board to test it separately?

That's what I was trying to understand- whether he had or not. Some statement was made about testing a prototype...

Think of it as just being sure what was happening before I go drop some $$ on something else. Too few $ for too many projects.

Please accept my apologies if you were offended or if it sounded like I was questioning your results- I was just trying to follow everyone's discussion and understand it in my limited way.

eprom

Newly Enlightened

Hi friends,

I was waiting for this driver to test and use. DX Step-Up Driver for 5*Cree

* First Test for ~600ma current output with 0,82 Ohm Rsense
* Various voltages used for test, from 3V to 8V

DX.26106.jpg

* Second test for higher current output ~1100 ma with 0,45 Ohm Rsense

- Trying lower voltages gives upto 4 amp input so I have tried for 5V to 7V and ~2.5A input. I have tested 2*Cree 3*Cree and 4*Cree

DX.26106.1A.jpg

* Third test for Higher Voltage and Stability with 0,5 Ohm Rsense (~950ma Iout)

* I have paralled two 1ohm resistor and used as sense resistor.
* I have tested upto 12.5V for 3* Li-Ion use
* I have made a long term run test for 30 minutes. Driver does not cooled and trapped in a little box for mag tube simulation. Driver was very hot to tuch but also efficient at that point.

DX.26106.12V.jpg

Last edited:

stinky

Newly Enlightened

Hi eprom:

Would you please explain this configuration in more detail for those of us who don't quite follow your mod (me).

I'm considering using this board to drive 3 serial XP-G R5s. If I read your second test correctly, I'm thinking 5 1/2D NIMHs would yield 6-7v in a 3D host, and 1-1.1A at 10.5v? So each would get 1-1.1A and 3.5v? Seems like a good match.

Also, any thoughts on how to heatsink this bugger? BTW, I saw your posts on the DX board as well.

Thanks!

Hi friends,

I was waiting for this driver to test and use. DX Step-Up Driver for 5*Cree

* Second test for higher current output ~1100 ma with 0,45 Ohm Rsense

- Trying lower voltages gives upto 4 amp input so I have tried for 5V to 7V and ~2.5A input. I have tested 2*Cree 3*Cree and 4*Cree

DX.26106.1A.jpg

eprom

Newly Enlightened

Hi stinky,

Sense resistor placed here,

26106.jpg

On my batch, there is two 1205 package resistors paraleled. One has R82 and One has 4R7 value. For 1.1A mod I have replaced the 4R7 with 1R0

Wish Helps,

Hi eprom:

Would you please explain this configuration in more detail for those of us who don't quite follow your mod (me).

I'm considering using this board to drive 3 serial XP-G R5s. If I read your second test correctly, I'm thinking 5 1/2D NIMHs would yield 6-7v in a 3D host, and 1-1.1A at 10.5v? So each would get 1-1.1A and 3.5v? Seems like a good match.

Also, any thoughts on how to heatsink this bugger? BTW, I saw your posts on the DX board as well.

Thanks!

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey eprom, you've posted results for a boost board in a thread about buck drivers. Do you feel like starting a new thread for it?

eprom

Newly Enlightened

Hi TorchBoy,

I wish a moderator change the title,

Like: DX Driver Board Tests, or something like that.

This helps keeping measurments together,

Hey eprom, you've posted results for a boost board in a thread about buck drivers. Do you feel like starting a new thread for it?

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Eprom,

I added "Test Results Included" to your title.

Tom

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tom, the thread is still badly named if it included test results for both buck and boost boards, and isn't exclusively about one particular Kennan-like buck board any more. "DX Driver Board Tests" would be quite good.

Eprom, can't you change the title of your first post yourself? (Isn't that where the thread title comes from?)

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: DX Driver Board Tests - Efficiency Results Included

I have ordered these DX sku.3256 boards about 40 days ago at last I have received them. Theese were totally revised versions, no more using Zetex C310, uses new chip with lots of advantages.
I recently recieved the same sku boards.

How can you tell if they use the Zetex board or the AX2002 chip?

Mine look exactly like the product pictures on the DX site.

Last edited:

eprom

Newly Enlightened
Re: DX Driver Board Tests - Efficiency Results Included

Hi Black Rose,

Product pictures shown on DX is AX2002 chip version.

Wish Helps,

I recently recieved the same sku boards.

How can you tell if they use the Zetex board or the AX2002 chip?

Mine look exactly like the product pictures on the DX site.

eprom

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

aurum

Enlightened
Re: Newly Designed DX Buck Driver (Kennan Like) 90% Efficiency Test Results Included

Just another question ... do you know how to modify the driver so that it accepts higher input voltage of 12.6 or 16.8V? thx

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Newly Designed DX Buck Driver (Kennan Like) 90% Efficiency Test Results Included

hi,i just saw this thread. Nice! Do any of these boards have an external PWM input? thanks.