Olight M20-R5

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Thanks Chao for posting that!! Who'd you get the light from... I noticed battery junction is saying they will ship Mid May....

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me why they added a side switch to cycle through levels/modes instead of just using the rear switch? Seems to me if you change your grip the side button may not be where you want it where as the rear is always, well, in the rear. Love that you don't have to twist the head, but...

Also, is anyone else concerned that the runtime graph is showing just over a 2 hour run time instead of 4 hours as Olight is saying? I know its a 2200 mAH cell vs. a 2500 mAH, but I can't believe it would make that much of a difference.

Matt, any idea if they will make these in the olive color?

Last edited:

soghol

Newly Enlightened
How bout tint, anyone has info on it? Is it still possible to have funny tint like greenish etc.?
Thx.

JAG

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight M20-R5 S

on my M20-R5 S i am missing the LOCKOUT. is it normal or a bug, that the threads of the tail are not anodized ??
does the M20-R5 (without S) have a lockout ?

Ecodelosandes

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight M20-R5 S

on my M20-R5 S i am missing the LOCKOUT. is it normal or a bug, that the threads of the tail are not anodized ??
does the M20-R5 (without S) have a lockout ?

The M30, the original owner of this switch, has the same "nude" threads, and they're a must for the comunication system with the head's electronics. Seems normal that the M20s is made this way.

UNM1136

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me why they added a side switch to cycle through levels/modes instead of just using the rear switch? Seems to me if you change your grip the side button may not be where you want it where as the rear is always, well, in the rear. Love that you don't have to twist the head, but...

Also, is anyone else concerned that the runtime graph is showing just over a 2 hour run time instead of 4 hours as Olight is saying? I know its a 2200 mAH cell vs. a 2500 mAH, but I can't believe it would make that much of a difference.

Matt, any idea if they will make these in the olive color?

I think I prefer the side switch. I am much more concerned with accidental switching than I am needing a quick switch. The output on medium (where I intend to keep it) is enough to handle any close, reactionary issue. If I need full power I will likely have time to switch it. If I need the strobe, I will likely have time to switch it. I don't want to grip it wrong and have it switch itself.

Also, I wanted the olive color, but I wanted the light NOW, so if I get tired of the back, Brownells Aluminahide will come to the rescue and change it to something else.

pat

UNM1136

Newly Enlightened
Another plus in the side switch, now that I think about it, is that even though I believe that if I need more light I will have time to switch it, the side switch will be faster and easier to use one handed than the two hand turn the head type adjustment.

So, while I believe that I will have time (in an armed encounter, the closer the threat, the less time you have and the farther the threat the more time you have) to make the adjustment when I need to, there is no reason to be silly and take my time about it. The switch needs to be fast enough and sure enough to stay in the fight, without the chance of an accidental switching.

pat

Ecodelosandes

Newly Enlightened
Another plus in the side switch, now that I think about it, is that even though I believe that if I need more light I will have time to switch it, the side switch will be faster and easier to use one handed than the two hand turn the head type adjustment.

So, while I believe that I will have time (in an armed encounter, the closer the threat, the less time you have and the farther the threat the more time you have) to make the adjustment when I need to, there is no reason to be silly and take my time about it. The switch needs to be fast enough and sure enough to stay in the fight, without the chance of an accidental switching.

pat

Some time ago, in the M30's review post, somebody pointed that the side switch were not so easy to find fast enough, because there is not enough tactile feedback (not to mention using it with gloves). In that moment i find that observation were a little "too much", then when i received my own M30 i have the chance to confirm it. I think that in a stress situation could be more fast to be settled on the "twisty" way IMO.

CM2010

Enlightened
In the dark the switch on the M30 is pointless as you just cant find it quick enough.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If one knows they are entering a possible conflict situation you can simply preprogram the M20S / M30 Tailcap to strobe or high as appropriate and use the tailcap switch. Any 'real' tactical user would be thus prepared and for the, excuse me, mall ninja's it doesn't really matter if it's strobing or constant - at 320L on an M20S that's plenty tactical/startling and effective in 'the dark.'

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin, CFR lights offer it with the olive body option and with the two reflectors (OP/SMO), included in the basic price. ;)
Nice find, thanks! But it looks like they only are offering the M20-R5 in the olive and not the M20-R5S with the side switch. Thank you though. I will keep my eye on them.

UNM1136

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine...

Light is not ideal for me, but not getting returned. For the price it, it is good. I am much more afraid of getting light (strobe) when I don't want it, than I am about hitting it in a hurry. I do not rely on light to protect me. If I am going to use this light to protect myself any setting but low will be sufficient for my needs, as I will likely put it into their eyes and then hit them somehow. "Tactical" usage will allow me time to set up and select what I want. While working if someone needs to be sorted out, the taser is the first line, followed by physical force. I see nothing that makes this light more defensive in actual use than any other light in my inventory.

The minuses. Still not convinced strobe is useful outside of directing traffic. Don't like the ring or the pocket clip, the lanyard, or the carry case(will not be using any of them). Crenelated bezel came off immediately.

The pluses: This thing is bright. Unable to accidently change modes or trigger the strobe while handling, despite trying to with three different pairs of gloves. Can trigger them intentionally. LED, no bulb to break. The light is bright white, Middle setting ideal for all around use. Nice to have the high setting in reserve, but it is way too bright for building searches/traffic stops, my most frequently encountered uses. Strobe, still thinking about. Low setting is great. It is low. Likely to be the second most used setting on the light. No focus. Like the battery magazine, currently using it with CR123s, waiting for AW 18650s. The battery magazine will allow me to keep the CR123 together, so they are both either new, or they are both used the same amount. It will be nice to have a spare drop in cartridge in my war bag so that if the 9 hours of my usual level proves inadequate for the task, I have a drop in fresh nine hours on tap. With the two rechargeables and the battery magazine I can have the light on for more than a full day at my preferred all around setting. Not bad. In my use I have not toted excessive heat build up.

The pluses appear to outweigh the negatives, but the truth is that the negatives are about hard core handling. How I have to carry it, how I have to hold it, etc. I would like a more comfortable grip ring, and a notch cut in the body near the head so I can use the clip to carry the light bezel up in my waist band when off duty. Current clip only allows bezel down carry. This also prevents me from clipping it to my off duty magazine carrier where I prefer to carry my off duty light for quick use. The waistband carry is for when I can't have a gun with me. I never intended to use the case or the lanyard, since my surefire lanyard is better, and I wanted a light that fit my current pouch, not a new pouch for a light. This light will not be a 24/7 carry light, but it will be on my belt every night when I go to work. Those two small changes would make this a great light, and my 24/7 go to light, relegating my current off duty A2 Aviator a backup light.

I hope this makes sense, I have been up a couple of days, and not been eating right. Brain is a little foggy, and body is a little sore.

pat

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have mixed feelings with my M20r5. It is among the brightest R5 lights I have, and it has a lovely tint and wonderful beam. Also, the led - converter combination is very efficient, mine takes only 900 mA on High from an AW18650. It is possible to remove the cigar grip, since there is a blanking ring provided with the light.
So it is two months that I am EDCing it, replacing a modified SF L4. I felt good in having the possibility to count on 300 lumens instead of 100, and keeping the same runtime.
SInce I carry it loose in my pants pocket, togheter with other metallic stuff like keys, change and mini swiss knife, the paint from the surface has started to come off; in many places there are visible portions of shiny aluminium.
I tought it was hard anodised, since so it was advertised. No, it is just black paint.
This is why i got replace it with something else with the same 18650 battery, same brightness, tint and beam, but is truly hard anodised.

Anthony

UNM1136

Newly Enlightened
Spending more time with mine. Like the standard ring a little more. Still want to keep it on medium so that I have eye ball melting bright in reserve. Still no accidental mode changes or activations. Been dropped a couple of times, still no chance to use the strobe, still no problems. Carries better in my pouch as the nylon has a chance to fit to it. No use for the belt clip.

I am liking this light alot, but it is still not perfect. Those with different needs than mine may love this light.

pat

robwest289

Newly Enlightened
Got my M20s, it has memorization of last used setting.
I haven't have my beamshots, but I just done the runtime graph:).
M20s runtime.jpg

and throw, I got 9540 lux at 1 meter with using SMO reflector.

I own the "twist head" version of this light... would the Runtime be the same? i have the Olight M20 Warrior Premium with the XP-G R5