Cree does it again-160 lumens per watt @350 mA

WeLight

Enlightened
You actually think there's engineers at Cree losing sleep because their new emitters don't have good throw in flashlights? That's like saying AMD has board meetings about the technical needs of overclocking geeks with LED fans in their cases :crackup:

Yep....what the industry needs is another vaporware Cree emitter that when it does hit the street will have the same ugly color rendition as a single phosphor fluorescent tube. I mean seriously, what are the actual applications of a low CRI, cool white emitter? Even the fridges at the local grocery store are running LEDs are using neutral white.

This is where I'm really confused - I'm seeing more and more emphasis in the flashlight forums regarding higher CRI / neutral tinted emitters because low CRI cool-white only impresses house plants. Plus, you guys aren't thrilled about the increases in emitter size messing with your current optics. But, it's like some kind of cult response when Cree makes these press announcements.

It would be like Intel releasing new processor benchmarks using 16-bit code and nothing else, and all the fanboys clapping about it. You wouldn't see the 32-bit and 64-bit benchmarks until 6months down the line.
Whoah super harsh
Vapourware and Cree and not something I have ever seen, when has Cree not delivered on anything it has promised. Application for low CRI leds, let me see Cree sales are USD600-700mill +, seems to be a few applications.
It is not that Cree wont release Hi CRI leds, they are in the pipeline, the reality is we are in the Flux Wars, he who is brightest rules. Anyone supplying hi CRI is doing so at very low efficacy, read the fine print on SSC and Rebel datasheets you need more leds to get the output, more cost, more layout, more system drive cost

chris_m

Enlightened
Well , ????? I dont know , emitted angle of light ??

XR-E 90Deg
XP-G 125deg

So I guess the plan is to make an emitter more like the XR-E , so as to whether it will be this new one or not ??
If they build it one the same platform as the XR-E , it should work well as an upgrade with existing lights / reflectors / throwers .

All I know is Cree is aware of the shortfall of the XP-G [ throw ] and are ?? thinking of doing or actually doing some thing about it ???
The thing is it's not the emitted angle of light which makes it hard to make the XP-G throw, it's the size of the die. As already discussed earlier in this very thread (and why this new LED with an even larger die won't be good for throw either).

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing is it's not the emitted angle of light which makes it hard to make the XP-G throw, it's the size of the die. As already discussed earlier in this very thread (and why this new LED with an even larger die won't be good for throw either).
Actually the size of the die has nothing to do with how well it throws. It is that surface brightness is lower than the XR-E. The emitter angle of light can play a small part as well.

juplin

Enlightened
XM-L.jpg

mellowman

Newly Enlightened
The Vf of the XM-L seems ideal for regulated single 3.7v battery flashlights.

Last edited:

wechnivag

Newly Enlightened
So it looks like its a 5mm^2 die.

Where did everyone go? Did we forget about the XM-L already?

At the worst, this is like the SST-50 but much better efficiency! Isn't that great!

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will be 2.45x2.45mm...... We need more development on the surface brightness front!:scowl: That has been completely ignored. Oh well.:shrug:
If it is 6 sq/mm as your guessing, then you have nothing new to offer Michael. You'd need over 2000 lumen with it to equal the surface brightness (and throw) of your 1.4 Amp DEFT models.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is 6 sq/mm as your guessing, then you have nothing new to offer Michael. You'd need over 2000 lumen with it to equal the surface brightness of your 1.4 Amp DEFT models.
Well we now know it is 2x2mm. Still you are correct that from a surface brightness perspective there still is nothing better than the XR-E/XP-E. The good thing is we should be able to run the XM harder than the SST-50. 2000 may just be possible with extremely good heatsinking.

Last edited:

ahorton

Enlightened
So it looks like its a 5mm^2 die.

Where did everyone go? Did we forget about the XM-L already?

At the worst, this is like the SST-50 but much better efficiency! Isn't that great!

I'm excited!

Where did you discover that its a 5mm^2 die? I can see that it's a 5 x 5mm package but that's all I found.

Nil Einne

Newly Enlightened
I for one do await the XM-L. One reason I haven't commented that much is because while the graph and stuff are interesting, there's not that much for me to say until we actually start seeing some test samples and even better, widespread availability. I don't know enough to comment on the relevance of the die size and stuff.

BTW, anyone ever seen a better version of that slide (or whatever it is)? It's quite difficult to make out the numbers, I probably could if I zoom in closely and consider what's logical but I haven't bothered yet.

Last edited:

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
come on guys, we where able to make 22 pages of random guesses and nonsensical responses about the xp-g, we have to be able to come up with some more for this :p

How about drivers? dd off a 18650 should work fine, pushing like 3 something amps, but i think imr26650's are out, and thats all i use for any led bigger than the xr-e...so what drivers could we use with this and get the 3 or 4 amps that it really needs to shine.