Acebeam
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modding & other stuff I'm willing to do for free

Default Re: Modding stuff I'm willing to do for free

That is a great idea. Thanks for suggesting it!
    I'll copy/paste/quote people's modding offers as we go.

I don't think I've thanked the last couple of people who are offering their help. You guys are great! Any type of modding skill that you might be willing to share with others, please do so!

Last edited by carbine15; 09-13-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Two mods I can do for free (you just need to pay for shipping to and from me):

1) Surefire U2: Not happy with the tint/donut? Send it to me and I'll swap out the LED with one of yours (PhotonFanatic, for instance, has some very nice W-bins available here) and/or shim the bezel with an O-ring to refocus the beam and remove the donut.
    ***Important: You must have the bezel loosened before sending the U2 to me. That way, you won't have to worry about that step. I've recently come across a U2 that was sent to me with a bezel that just wouldn't budge. I can only accept mod jobs for U2s with loose bezels.***

2) Surefire KL4: You want the LED swapped out with a better bin that you supply? You want to swap out the LED with a Luxeon III and a new converter board? I can do both. The only converter board I can install is a Wizard 2, though. That's the only one I have experience with.

PM me if you're interested.
    -Greg

Flashaholic*

not quite modding, but I've been doing AutoCAD 3D virtual prototyping for years and am willing to help anyone who needs AutoCAD help. I also would be willing to do production drawings for anyone who has an idea but can't draw, although this would be tougher - many long phone sessions working out the design, I'm sure (and if you come up with something cool to build, I might expect a discount ).
    Josh

First post updated to make searching easier. I want to give one more to all the people signing up. Your help is much, much appreciated!

(note to self: update to #34)

Default Re: Modding & other stuff I'm willing to do for free

I can offer some rudimentary Linux help.
    I know a good deal of stuff about Linux and using it, so I can offer basic help, like an introduction to bash (the command line, terminal), how to sync to an atomic clock, applications to consider for ___ uses, among other things.
    Linux troubleshooting I'm not so great at, but I can always give it a shot, and I can usually point you in the right direction for information if I don't know enough about something.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

I've moved abroad and am no longer actively modding. I'll leave my post up for reference, or in case you think I can coach you through some of this (which I'll gladly continue to do).

I want to make this clear: I'm doing this for people who, due to the lack of tools, knowledge, ability, and/or resource$, can't do their own mods. Please reflect on this before PM'ing me.

I can do the following for you:

• I can strip the anodizing off lights and light parts. I'd rather have people send me disassembled parts. I will strip the anodizing and seal the pores, no further polishing
    • I can add GID paint and/or GID+epoxy rings to grooves on your lights
    • I can add GID paint to the button on the SF U2 button (see pics here)
    • I can polish the reflector on ArcAA, ArcAAA, Infinity lights, etc., as long as you send me the empty heads.
    • I am no longer willing to mod your ArcAAA or IU lights. I'll be glad to offer pointers and coach you through these mods, though.

You only pay mailing fees back and forth; please include all materials, parts, and a SASE when you mail stuff to me.

My disclaimer:

I'll continue to do this as long as it doesn't demand too much time. Flashlights are my hobby and I'd like to keep it that way -fun. Please understand that I'm also busy with other things and you may have to wait, or I'll have to decline your request.

I offer no guarantees whatsoever. I'll treat parts you send me as if they were my own (I'm really careful with my stuff), and do my best to obtain good results, but accidents can happen and I can't offer replacement parts or guarantee the light won't be damaged. As with all mods, there's the risk of damaging the light beyond repair; you send me your lights with that understanding and agreement. I also can't be responsible for items lost in the mail, so please make sure you select appropriate mailing services (tracking/insurance) when mailing stuff to/from me.
    Last edited by greenLED; 01-22-2009 at 04:13 PM.

I'd be willing to make an AA dummy for anyone that wants them. 1 per person please until my aluminum rod gets used up (about 4 feet left). They're crude but they work, I'll do my best on each one. I will make them 50mm with nipple. It'll take me a day or 2 to make it as I'm usually very busy.

Edit: This is free, no need to send any money.
    *Edit: just measured my aa and it was 50mm so I'll only make them 50mm with nipple.
    Edit yet again: US members only please to keep my costs as low as possible.
    Last edited by lasercrazy; 01-24-2006 at 07:37 PM. Reason: corrections
    Favorite lights: XeRay 75W BarnBurner | Vec Twin 55W HID mod w/ LSD D pack | Amondotech Iluminator with 12D cell pack | Modded 2MCP vector | 2C ROP Low | 6D Quad Lux 3 Mod | 2C lux5 mod | Camo 3D red mod | 3D ssc Mod | Costco 2AA: R/B, Blue, Cyan, R/O | Aleph 19 UV | 193mw PGL 3 | Ssc Garrity hl mod

lasercrazy!!

I live in venezuela, have experience in electronic and some Mods... if somebody need some help here let me know, send me a PM...
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

Changchung! I just added you to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED
    Changchung! I just added you to the list.
    Gracias mi amigo...
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

I'm looking for someone in the SF Bay Area who is able to effectively machine down McR reflectors in fast turnaround time. I'm planning on buying a few of these reflectors but need to have them shortened. Anyone who can help me pls PM me asap, thanks for reading.

Enlightened

Green Led, big thank you to you for starting this.

Anyone here from Singapore?

I need some advice regarding a Streamlight TL3 xenon that I keep in the car --- it's a true blinder. 3 CR123s generate 200 lumens from a very small (6.25" x 0.875") handheld with a substantial (1.625") reflector.

I'm reasonably competent with a soldering iron and an old Unimat, but am a newbie in the flashlight world. What I'd like to do is figure out a way to convert this 9V dragonslayer to a very high output Luxeon light, perhaps even multiple Luxeons, with regulation and more than one output level.

Or should I just buy what I really need?

Henry

HenryE, I recommend you browse the incandescent forum and PM some of the modders/builders there. I'm not up to speed with the hotwire world; js, bwaites may be able to help you find an answer.

Well, the TL3 starts out incandescent, but there's 9 willing volts and a nice package just waiting for someone to generate a LED conversion. I'll run over there as you suggest to see if anyone's done something like that...

Thanks!

This is mainly for CPF'ers here in the Toronto / GTA area,

I'm happy to do soldering work for people in the west end of the city-GTA area. If you're building something and need mod parts or supplies (as-in right away), PM me and I'll check if I have any to share. If you need to borrow a handtool, just ask!

I know how it can be hard to find flashlight stuff locally, I've been running around checking all the surplus electronic stores and now have a small fishing tacklebox full of flashlight modding supplies (resistors, fasteners, springs, thermal management products, washers, various size o-rings, etc...).

Happy modding!

Derek

mosport,
    I just added your kind offer to the first post. Very best,
    gL

Will solder anything needed if return shipping is included with package. If you need more just ask, if I can do it, I will. (IE; board drilling, trace repair, ect)

I am a retired Electronic Engeneer who has had a computer business/custom electronics shop for the last 24 yrs. I am very proficient at soldering. Not much to do these days, so this is a good time to give something (not much) back for now. As my Modding proficency increases I will offer more. Just got into this Flashlight thing.....(Adicting ain't it)
    Incandescent - Surefire C3, P91, 2 17670's (Modded) LED - Surefire L4, 17670, EDC- HDS U60GT, RCR123 Dive Light - UK 4AA e-Led HID - Mag85, 9x14500 Colored - Pal-Lite, Red, Green, Blue

What would really be great is someone who could mill slots for tritium vials. I would be willing to pay a small fee for that of course. Or is there already someone around who can do that?
    "For those who know, no explanation is needed. And for those whom do not, none is possible." They can take your money away, but they can't take your education. If a man's not worth his word then what's he worth?

dat116, for offering your services!! I just added your services to the top post.

flashlight, feel free to other modders on the forum and point them to this thread. We have very few people willing to do this due to the risk of completely ruining the parts/lights. It's a horrible feeling when you "kill" somebody else's light.

I can now add the following: gen4 KL1...open up bezel, remove optic and domed lens, replace lens with UCL, replace optic with McR20 reflector, replace LED if wanted. All the owner needs to supply or order are the reflector, lens and LED as well as pay for return postage. Labor is free.
    -Greg

grnamin!

I don't have much experiance with flashlight modding, but I have been using Debian Linux as my sole OS for about a year. I would be glad to help other people get started, or fix problems they are having. I am also pretty good with Linux in server applications, so if anyone needs help setting up a server, I can do that too.

Although I only use Debian, I can probably at least point you in the right direction if you are using another distro.

I also have some experiance in web development.
    Last edited by nima; 06-12-2006 at 11:18 PM.

I added Nima's info, but didn't link it properly. Nima!

Sorry guys, no time to do mods anymore on the lathe or milling machine. Gonna have to retract my offer for now.

Last edited by oregonshooter; 01-02-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Yeah!! OregonShooter, you
    OP just updated with your offer.

Flashaholic

I can troubleshoot computer problems - both software and hardware.

pradeep1!