Where are Leatherman tools made now?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are the current generation of Leatherman tools manufactured?

My Leatherman tools (an original, a Super Tool, and Micras) are all older and were made in USA.

When I look through the plastic packaging of the current Leatherman tools in stores, I don't see "USA" displayed on the tools and the country of origin is not printed on the packaging.

Thanks.

DimBeam

Enlightened
USA. If he has them made anywhere else he loses his credibility.

VWTim

Enlightened
Not to start a riot. But to many of us, when the owner started supporting Kerry for President with company money he lost his creditability.

CLHC

Flashaholic
That's a good question.

On the Charge XTi holster that I have it says "Made in China". The tool itself and the packaging does not indicated where it was "Made in" but I'm assuming that it is made in Oregon. Reason being is that Tim Leatherman dons a red apron on a daily basis so that he can join in on the build on the manufacturing floor. So where's that manufacturing floor? Oregon—which would mean that his tools are "Made in the U.S.A."

That is stated on their website. . .

Kingfisher

Enlightened
I was a bit suspicious last year when I bought a second Leatherman Wave (reason it was a real bargain) and saw 'Leatherman Tool' on the pliers instead of 'Leatherman USA'- like my old Wave. The guy in the store didn't even notice it, but the box stated it was "Made in the USA".

I wonder if there are any future plans for making them overseas though, as taking USA off the pliers could be the first step. :thinking:

swissbianco

Newly Enlightened
sure they are us made and maybe the sheaths only from china.

but for sure i now titanium leathermans are customized on switzerland by swissbianco...

Deanster

Enlightened
IIRC, their current claim is something like 'Assembled in the USA from parts made in China', but I may be remembering incorrectly.

dg

Newly Enlightened
Could it be that for international customers the 'made in USA' mark carries little significance, and from a marketing viewpoint it is better to increase brand awareness by just marking it with 'Leatherman'?

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than "Pat Pending" plus the ruler and length of the some blades, there is no Made in (place) on my Charge Ti

The holder for the bits does have a "Made in Taiwan" sticker

CLHC

Flashaholic
If you read their website, it says that Tim Leatherman has a daily routine of going on the floor of the manufacturing plant in Oregon.—That's manufacturing plant in Oregon. That Is in the U.S.A.

heathah

Newly Enlightened
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I read somewhere in a thread over in Bladeforums that the reason Leatherman quit putting USA on their tools was because a product could only have USA on it if it was made entirely in the USA. That means no parts from anywhere else (screws, washers, etc.). I haven't really looked but I don't suppose I've ever seen a screw or a washer with USA printed on it. :)

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
VWTim said:
Not to start a riot. But to many of us, when the owner started supporting Kerry for President with company money he lost his creditability.
----------------------

+1

Kudos to ya, VWTim, for (a) your keen political awareness, and (b) courage to boycott products that merit it, based upon the ideological seeds their masters sow -- on our oblivious-consumer financed dollars -- when our backs are turned.

Let that riot begin.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
TonkinWarrior said:
----------------------

+1

Kudos to ya, VWTim, for (a) your keen political awareness, and (b) courage to boycott products that merit it, based upon the ideological seeds their masters sow -- on our oblivious-consumer financed dollars -- when our backs are turned.

Let that riot begin.
As much of a scumbag that kerry was I'll still keep using my leatherman no matter what the owner does.

Diode

Newly Enlightened
VWTim said:
But to many of us, when the owner started supporting Kerry for President with company money he lost his creditability.
To the rest of us, it's another reason to buy a Leatherman.

greenLED

Flashaholic
CHC said:
If you read their website, it says that Tim Leatherman has a daily routine of going on the floor of the manufacturing plant in Oregon.—That's manufacturing plant in Oregon. That Is in the U.S.A.

And you can see their location from I-5, IIRC.

cslinger

Enlightened
My Juice has Leatherman USA on the pliars.

As for the Kerry incident...........well to be honest I'm just happy when anybody takes a stand for what they believe in or in politics as a whole, whether I disagree with them or not. More people need to quit bitching and get involved. (Not directing this at anybody here just as a whole)

His right is to support whomever he believes in our right is to stop supporting him if we feel the need. America is great that way.

By the way 99.9875% of all politicians give the rest a bad name. Think about that the next time you are voting for your pet Republicrat.

Chris (Not a big fan of politicians as a whole if hadn't noticed)

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Micra I bought about 4 years ago has "Leatherman USA" on the scissors. The Micra I bought last week has "Leatherman Tool". It kinda made me suspicious.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
My Micra has 'Leatherman USA', my Wave has 'Leatherman Tool', my Charge Ti just 'Leatherman'. The Micra and the Wave are bought about the same time from the same shop. As long as they are all well made, its fine with me whether is made in USA or Asia, American politics means nothing much to non-americans anyway. But I certainly would mind if I know its made cheaply by unskilled or inadequately skilled workers or production plant.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, as with SJACKAL, I like know who I am supporting with the purchase.

This discussion also leads into the Knife Makers Guild debates about CNC and "handmade" knives...a collector/user is presuming that a knife offered by a custom maker on his table is made entierely by his hands (Unless otherwise stated). There have been makers who will CNC bodies, blades, handles and do a final fit then charge comprable costs to what they sell as all hand crafted.

If a company is marketing a product without identifying itself, it may be misleading. Thus I was a bit confused why this new Micra does not indicate USA and it seems I'm not the only one who has doubts now.