Malkoff        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maglite's output numbers magically double or almost triple overnight???

Crackup Maglite's output numbers magically double or almost triple overnight???

A few days ago I looked at maglite dot com to check the output ratings of my 2D maglite. I looked all over the entire sight from the maglite solitaire all the way up to the 6D and the magcharger. I noticed a slightly higher output from the mag-num star bulbs but that's what I expected. Then, a few days later, I checked the sight again to look up the output ratings for my friend's 3D maglite and I noticed the numbers being distinctly different. These numbers may not be exact but I remember some of the output ratings from the old site.

Old numbers--------------
    2D-18 lumens
    3D-39 lumens
    6D-114 lumens
    Magcharger-175 lumens
    Mag solitaire-.5 lumens

New numbers-------------
    2D-40 lumens
    3D-82 lumens
    6D-233 lumens
    Magcharger-218 lumens
    Mag solitaire-2.3 lumens
    ------------------------------
    What's goin' on here??

Thanks

scott

Default Re: Maglite's output numbers magically double or almost triple overnight???

edit
    Last edited by ZeissOEM2; 08-26-2007 at 08:48 AM.

Default Re: Maglite's output numbers magically double or almost triple overnight???

The numbers are bogus.

I have the new lamps. None are brighter than the stock MagCharger lamp, period.

If you overdrive the 5 cell Xenon lamp, you get close to the MagCharger, but the Magcharger is still brighter and has more output.

The 5 cell Xenon is the only only one I have been able to overdrive with one cell with any consistency, usually they just blow. They are on the edge, evidently.

Mag is pulling a fast one here, or using perfect world numbers. In addition, they are quoting LAMP lumens, not TORCH lumens, as Surefire does.

Multiply that 233 by .65 and you are closer, but I still don't think it puts out even 160 or so lumens.

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ZeissOEM2
    It seems to be that there is some new lamps.
    I doubt that's the case; they haven't said anything about new/revised bulbs.. would be wise of them to do that if they are new and improved.

I have both charts, most lumens numbers almost doubled for both Krypton and Xenon bulbs.
    As I said before, I never repeat myself.

FWIW I had this email exchange with Maglight concerning brightness and runtime. While it doesn't specifically address this thread's subject, I think you will find it interesting none the less. I went to their web site and asked a straight forward question "How long will it take a 4D cell Maglight to drop to 50% of it's initial brightness" I was so startled by their answer I replied back asking them to confirm their response. So you have their confirmation here first and then my reply asking for them to confirm. They were quite forthright about the whole thing, I've gotta give them credit for that.

To: xxxx@mail.com
    CC:
    Subject: Maglite.com Website Visit - Your Feedback
    Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:45:53 -0800

Greg:

Our test show that the voltage decreases from 30-50% within the first
    30 minutes of on time.

---------- ORIGINAL MESSAGE ----------
    TO : Mag Instrument, Inc. Web Site (www.magmail.com)
    RECEIVED: 11/18/2003 11:32:56 AM EST

Re: Maglite.com Website Visit - Your Feedback

Thank you for your quick reply concerning my query on runtime of a
    set of batteries to 50% of initial brightness.

I was surprised however by your reply that it took only 20-30 minutes
    to drop to 50% of initial brightness.

Although I did not specify, can you confirm this is correct? With
    fresh alkaline batteries?

GregR

It is a late market trend.
    Every manufacturer, with the notable exception of SureFire, is quoting double of the flux, at the bulb with fresh battery.
    The 2D is 20 lumens at bulb, and after is on for 30 minutes the flux has decreased to 10 lumens. If you calculate all the losses, the indicated output flux is 4 times less.
    SF quotes the output flux averaged over the runtime. Hope they do not feel compelled to follow this new market trend.

Anthony
    VENI, COLLUXI, VICI.

MAGLite wrote: "Our test show that the voltage decreases from 30-50% within the first 30 minutes of on time."

Hello? Voltage is not brightness. They didn't answer the question. Brightness is probably down by 50% within 15 minutes.

Confused by the MAG lumens numbers game? Welcome to the world of G&P fans, where a high-pressure xenon 9V lamp is variously described as 120 lumens, 140, and 175.
    1xAA: EagleTac D25A (Nichia 219C)
    2xAA: five EagleTac D25A2 Clicky (Nichia 219C); EagleTac D25A2 Tactical (XM-L2 T6); Jaxman M2 (XM-L2 T6)

Mistake mistake mistake, they are making very bad mistakes by not realising the existence of candlepowerforums.

I am sure they know about CPF.

The problem is, we are a very small fraction of the flashlight-using population.

When you show off a flashlight to one of the unenlightened, they usually respond favorably, until they discover how much you paid for it. The reponse is almost always a variation of "You paid how much? But it's just a flashlight!"

After that, it's usually futile to explain the advantages of efficiency, regulated brightness, reflector/optic efficiency, etc. Very few people are willing to spend more than $20 for a flashlight, and Maglites are right at that price point.

Most buyers don't know the difference between lumens, candlepower, lux, etc. Those who do are likely to spot baloney in advertised specs. I don't see what Mag has to gain by this exaggeration, but it's also not likely that it will hurt them, either.
    Andrew

I just think it's an example of them catering to the least common demoninator... folks that, if they notice the lumen rating at all, might compare it with something from Inova a couple racks over and since Inova lies, Mag has figured they must too.

As much as we all like to knock Mag, I always kind of respected that I thought that they rated their lights approximately correctly... now even that's out the window.

Still, I doubt they will sell any more or any less Mags because of their changes in ratings. Folks that don't know what they are looking at don't care and folks that DO know what they are looking at, likely know the limitations of Mags anyway.
    "That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

I've witnessed some folks shopping for flashlights who were strictly going by the (usually bogus) output numbers on the packages. Proof that marketing propaganda can increase sales. "Look man, this one is 100,000 candlepower! Its the one we need"

True, but I also believe that more and more people are getting more internet savvy and for every new person that buys a light at Target/Walmart etc... based on a bogus lumen rating, there is probably a new person that has done research only to find out that... some folks are lying.

I would tend to think that if folks are buying lights based on the claims on the packaging, they are probably more interested in longer runtimes and the fact that the LEDs don't burn out... Just witness how many people on this forum have claimed the River Rock products were sold out at multiple Targets.
    "That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

Flashaholic

I am thinking about trying the new bulb for the 6D in a 9.6 volt 3D body, guessing it's the same reflector and it can handle the heat...can someone verify this to be the case? I already have a glass lens (magcharger lens) in the 3D body, but can't help but think the bulb will ( Xenon ) get quite a bit hotter than the stock 3D mag bulb or the Xenon Radio shack Xpr103 thats in there now. Glad Maglite put the bulbs out anyway...can someone "enlighten" me on the reflector's heat limits. Thanks for any thoughts in advance....
    AtomicX

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicX
    . . . can someone "enlighten" me on the reflector's heat limits. . . .
    My tests have found that anything past about 10 watts will cause the plastic reflector to start to bubble if the light is run continuously for 10 minutes or so. That's about an Amp for a 9.6v bulb. Although not sure, I doubt that any of the stock bulbs run that hot.

Paul
    Last edited by PaulW; 12-05-2005 at 07:51 AM.

It could be that they've really replaced their crappy lamps?? If you notice the run times as well it used to be around 10 hours for the 6C cell but now they only quote 5 hours.

Actually, their lamps aren't that crappy at all. In fact, I think they are made by Welch Allyn, IIRC. The weak links in a Maglite are the alkaline batteries that cannot maintain voltage/current, and the smooth parabolic reflector, that maximizes throw at the expense of beam quality. I think that the reflector choice is actually a concession to the alkaline battery issue, and max throw makes the light appear more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by witake
    It could be that they've really replaced their crappy lamps?? If you notice the run times as well it used to be around 10 hours for the 6C cell but now they only quote 5 hours.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by cratz2
    I would tend to think that if folks are buying lights based on the claims on the packaging...
    I used the ratings once on the cabelas site. I learned lumens are another way of saying this is a flood light with a dim beam, candle power is a spot light that will blind you, but trust usm lunens is brighter.

Do people actually use Mag lights with stock bulbs? The only one I ever had that worked fairly well was my Mag Charger at 200 Lumens. We probably have 100 stock bulbs. They by the way have NOT magically doubled in output. We just use more VOLTAGE. They do get bright then. But only for 30 seconds.....
    NikolaTesla
    A Xenon Arc is the Spark that Rules the Dark.
    My_Lights

Actually, the only bulb made by WA appears to be the MagCharger lamp.

The remainder are constructed differently, even the new Xenon bulbs, which have very interesting looking filament holders! They actually appear to be over built for the job.

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

Aaah, I think you're right, Bill. But for what they are and the specs they handle, I think the standard Mag bulbs are actually pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by bwaites
    Actually, the only bulb made by WA appears to be the MagCharger lamp.

The remainder are constructed differently, even the new Xenon bulbs, which have very interesting looking filament holders! They actually appear to be over built for the job.

Bill
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

Quote Originally Posted by lightplay22
    I've witnessed some folks shopping for flashlights who were strictly going by the (usually bogus) output numbers on the packages. Proof that marketing propaganda can increase sales. "Look man, this one is 100,000 candlepower! Its the one we need"
    Before CPF, thats what I was like. Oh, lets get this headlamp, it lasts 50 hours on a set of batteries, or this one is better since it lasts 70 hours.

Needless to say, I've learned a few things since then.

Marketing - I suggest that everybody else should simply just double their numbers too...
    Oh and some I noticed (especially car acessories) calculate PERCEIVED brightness (xenon) - and double the number. They explain it with the white color of the beam...

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1
    Oh and some I noticed (especially car acessories) calculate PERCEIVED brightness (xenon) - and double the number. They explain it with the white color of the beam...
    We already have a unit for measuring "perceived brightness"--it's called lumens. Maybe they mean perceived perceived brightness, which must really be something special.
    Andrew

maglite is like GM by trying cheap tricks to lure in customer.
    Admiral of Starfleet Special Operation Forces. We are the vanguard of the Federation against hostile forces.

Banned

I think the stock bulbs suck. I mod all my Maglites and other 2C or 2D lights with Dorcy Xenon bulbs. They are the best el-cheapo bulb I know of. They light up addresses from the street extremely well for the price you pay. The brightness from the street with fresh batteries is comparable to a low end Surefire. In fact it's better in some respects, because it's not so spread out so the hotspot is actually brighter. And I don't have to feed it CR123A's. Low end Mag mods are underrated and low end Surefires are overrated in my opinion.

Last edited by InfidelCastro; 12-08-2005 at 01:02 AM.

Flashaholic*

Noticed something interesting this evening while comparing my Surefire A2 and my Mag 4D with its five C cells and standard bulb. Same old mag beam except much whiter and quite a bit brighter and a little more white than the A2. The beam is fairly useful at long range, though I don't use it as often as my TL-3. I have a 6D riding around in my truck that I think I'm gonna try the 5D xenon bulb in to see how it compares to my 4D. Those lumens numbers on their site still make me laugh though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WDR65
    Noticed something interesting this evening while comparing my Surefire A2 and my Mag 4D with its five C cells and standard bulb. Same old mag beam except much whiter and quite a bit brighter and a little more white than the A2. The beam is fairly useful at long range, though I don't use it as often as my TL-3. I have a 6D riding around in my truck that I think I'm gonna try the 5D xenon bulb in to see how it compares to my 4D. Those lumens numbers on their site still make me laugh though.

I'd be very interested to hear how the 5D Mag Xenon bulb does in your 6D Mag compared to the standard 4D Mag Krypton bulb in your 4D Mag with the 5C cells.. I didn't even know there was a 5D Mag Xenon bulb. I assume that's what you're talking about, right?

The 2D Dorcy Xenon bulb is definately brighter than the 2D Mag Xenon bulb in 2D configuration and much brighter than the 2D Krypton bulb. Why do they even make those things anymore??? I haven't tried overdriving either the 2D Krypton or Xenon though.
    Last edited by InfidelCastro; 12-08-2005 at 03:52 AM.

Here is visual proof that mag is lying, Mag claims their mini-mags puts out 15 lumens and surefire claims their E1E puts out 15 lumens. You be the judge. Link to pics.
    Incandescents: Surefire G2-Surefire 6P-Surefire9P-Streamlight Stinger-Streamlight Scorpion-Mag11
    Leds: Inova T2-Fenix L1p(lost)-Photon Freedom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast