• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTT/B: 3C LuxIII M*Glight

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Ideally, I'd like a regulated 3C that will run a long time at good brightness.

But something DD that will suck the life from Alks would be cool too!

A LUXIII in a M*g reflector would have to rock!

I know the stuff exists to make my own, but I can't just go ordering stuff.

I would like to trade for: old fishing reel(s), knife(ves), diecast crane(s) etc.

Let's trade PMs to discuss it perhaps?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Oh yeah, I have a Space Needle II. But I can't afford to USE it. Something either using NimH C or Alks fits better. I don't much love the LUX V anyhow.

MIGHT consider it in trade...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allthough not as potent as a hand selected bin driven near 1amp in a mag mod, the ledbeam 3c is pretty good contender, and from what I've seen the reflector actually makes a tighter spot!!!

If only we could get our hands on the reflectors they use, to drop into our mag mods!!! (they are same size, but obviously a different curve)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LEDBeam doesn't have quite as tight of a beam as a Mag, but it is very close and considering the LEDBeam just costs about $10 more than the Mag host - before you even count the Lux III, Osink, labor etc... - the LEDBeam is an EXCELLENT value!

I don't have any 3 C-sized lights for sale but if I were to build one for you, even with a low priced emitter, It would be $60-$75 which is pushing three times as much as the LEDBeam light...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Q: Is Ledbeam a 3C?

Q: Does it have a momentary clickie?

Q: Does it make the most of Alks, and can it use NimH well?

And :sigh: Does anyone want to trade? For as far as I can see I ain't gonna be ordering diddly!!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup! LEDBeam.com for more info and Doug has done a very favorable review at flashlightreviews.com It is a 3C light, it will use a 52.1mm UCL (same as a Mag), it will run on AA NiMH cells with a PVC adapter (the same size used for the 3x123+KPR112 mod in a 2C Mag, but longer).

As far as the momentary clickie... let me go check... Nope... reverse clickie.

I've kept mine in my car for about a week... I might trade for the right light as I have to real need for it.

What do you have to trade in the $25 range? A lambertian EverLED, by any chance?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I do have a Lambertian EverLED "White". It runs on 3C in a 2D M*g and has a pretty decent spot with a little funkiness around it and a nice spill. I typed "White" as it is white with a bit more than a hint of blue.

How is your Ledbeam tinted, and does it have the nice beam that flashlight reviews example had?

Maybe I just need to put the Eled in a 3C M*g....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
:sigh: That is exactly what I did. I had a hot 4x123 3C that I couldn't afford to run any more than the SNII. It now has my Eled running on 3xRayovac Max Cs and through a difussing lense.

Someday I'll get on the Pila bandwagon I hope....

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a Lambertian EverLED but when I started building Lux Mods, I didn't feel the need for it anymore so I sold it to a friend that had a 4D lantern that it worked in.

The LEDBeam has what I would consider to be radically more throw than the EverLED did. It has a fairly tiny (and therefore really bright) hotspot, though not quite as tiny as an actual Lux III Mod in the Mag reflector. With the EverLED, going from memory, the emitter sits further forward into the reflector than an actual Lux/Osink build with a cut reflector so the reflector can do a better job at focusing down to a tighter hotspot.

One isn't neccessarily 'better' than the other, but if you want to throw a smaller hotspot further, then the LEDBeam is the way to go.

Tell you what, I want to try that EverLED in a different 2xAA light so if you are willing, I'll send you the LEDBeam light, you can try it for a couple days and if you prefer it to the EverLED/Mag combo, send me the EverLED and I'll send you $5 or so to cover shipping. If you want to keep the EverLED, just send my light back.

If you're cool with that, let me know and send me your address.

wtraymond

Enlightened
If cratz2's deal doesn't work out, I'll trade you a brand new 3C Maglite TV1J or TWOJ direct drive with o-sink and UCL for your Space Needle II.

I have built about twenty of these for friends, parents, and co-workers and usually sell them for $60 each built. I don't really make any money on the deal, but I enjoy building them and I like hearing everyone rave about how great they are. I just had a co-worker order four more from me to give a Christmas gifts.

I usually use TWOJs in these but I got a deal on some TV1Js some time ago and really liked the color. A few of them were a little bit green but most of them were, what I call, brilliant white and had excellent color rendering. The TWOKs are reliably white but occasionally 'dirty' white like X1.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My Everled in a 3C with an Otokayama (or spelled SOMETHING like that) diffusing lense, is just a bit blueish but otherwise nice.

The form factor of a 2C is Grrrrreeeeaaaaatttttt! I'm going to ask to buy a decent supply of 123s, because my other best light is a KL3 on a G2 and it needs 123s.

I'll just try to go easy on using them!

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost offered a nice Georges80 1 amp buck regulated 6 c cell TWOJ for that sn2.
Runtime galore and a nice thighbuster to deter any bushwackers with.
Any idea on what bin led that sn2 came with?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
No idea of Bin. The emmitor is directly on the heat sink and no way to check (as far as I know).

At this level of power (5.69V 66*mAh) it is distinctly greenish. I'll have to compare again with new cells.

Strange. Out of the light the cells total 8.36V. In the light I see the lower V but the LED isn't lit up....

ledlurker

Enlightened
you might ry the Diamond Led drop in's. I got one last yeat for about $30 shipped. It is a lux III that might have some resistors to keep the current safe. The best thing about them is that you can just screw them into any mag 3 cell and they will work. If you already have a older style mag 3c you could ship it to me for modding. I have wither a TV1k or TVOK on a hotlips heat sink that can be a direct driver or stick a DB917 for regulation. The regulation circuits have really dropped in price. I am thinking of getting the WWOT lux V to make a regulated 2C and a 6C