Klarus
Page 1 of 30 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

Wink2 GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

This Thread will present the GatLight V2 - and includes design changes, features, sign up information.
    NOW WITH UNLIMITED BRIGHTNESS LEVELS - see video

Here are some new photos... of the GatLight V2

---------------

More photos can be seen in the GatLight Photo Gallery.

Photos, more details and FEEDBACK from people who got lights in the first run is located in the PREVIOUS GATLIGHT THREAD.

THIS V2 VERSION WILL HAVE THIS SLIGHTLY IMPROVED LOOK

DELIVERY DATE: we start shipping orders in APRIL 2006. Then depending on the number of orders we'll get it might take us 1-2 months or longer to ship all orders. Orders will be shipped on a first come first serve basis.

FOR QUESTIONS: post here in this thread.
    (or if you prefer email, use the contact form on GatLight.com

Here are the specs:

-Lux III 50mA to 1000mA (adjustable by using a small screwdriver)
    -Upgradeable to a Luxeon K2 once it becomes available
    -fully waterproof

The housing design:
    1. Unlimited Brightness Levels (for details see video)
    2. Designed to maximize thermal efficiency by maximizing exposed surface area.
    3. Mechanical housing assembly analyzed using finite element analysis (FEA) in order to insure structural integrity under stress
    4. Materials: 316 Stainless steel or Titanium (both with hand polished finish)
    5. Water sealing designed to withstand depths greater than 1 meter. Until detailed water testing has been completed, only water resistance is guaranteed.
    6. Aerospace grade 82 deg. flat head screws per military specification NAS662
    7. Housing screws thread staked for added durability.
    8. Assembly performed in accordance with qualified spaceflight hardware procedures and requirements, in order to maximize reliability and quality.
    9. Silicone environmental seals fabricated with the use of high vacuum degas process.
    10. High precission components: <0.0005" tolerance
    11. Heatsink bars pressed into main body under >500lbs axial force in order to maximize thermal efficiency.
    Circuit design:
    1. Circuit board designed to meet the requirements of IPC-A-610, Class 3 (High reliability) And NASA-STD-8739.3 (The same requirements applied to spaceflight circuit boards)
    2. Aluminum core circuit boards to provide maximum thermal dissipation.
    3. Circuit designed to handle up to 2000mA of current for short durations.
    4. Temperature sensor automatically turns off LED at unsave temperature and restores brightness once a save temperature is achieved again.
    5. Future versions up to 1500mA (K2)
    6. Circuit board assembly performed by NASA qualified technician per NASA-STD-8739.3
    7. LED mounted to circuit board using high performance thermal dissipation pad commonly used in spaceflight applications.
    8. Circuit board epoxy potted using aerospace grade thermally conductive epoxy to maximize thermal mass and conduction surface area
    9. Preliminary circuit design rated to 85 deg. C
    Assembly testing:
    1. Assembly tested using laboratory grade test equipment and processes.
    Then we offer in this run only an Aluminum version (tests pending / anodize is still to be determined - whatever we decide in this thread), also we now offer a Titanium PILA version. Then you got to choose different screws to alter the look of your light.

As you might now Jon S. Burlys will do the distribution of the GatLight outside of CPF - we would like to use cpf to introduce changes and new versions and get feedback we then introduce into units sold outside of cpf. Even though these cpf versions will be a bit more expensive, in return you get hand assembly, adjustable pot (to adjust for brightness and runtime) and the stainless versions will have more of a silver appearance.

We tried to keep the prices the same as in the first run (the increase comes from including the shipping costs/paypal in the price). The Titanium versions went up in price because our old machine ship refused to do anymore Titaniums at that price we got the last time. Also costs for Titanium went through the roof. That's just the way it is and we can't change it. If you like light weight, we think with the Aluminum version we have a more affordable alternative available (tests pending).

Also we might add more features in the next couple of weeks...

For more information visit www.gatlight.com
    Last edited by mobile1; 07-18-2006 at 12:29 PM. Reason: adding new features

Popcorn Re: GatLight SIGN UP FOR ROUND 2

Just put my order in

I hope the aluminum version pans out, but I guess I can settle for stainless if not.

-DF
    KineticParadox ...a personal web space with my CBA Battery Testing and my LED Bin Coding Charts.

Default Re: GatLight SIGN UP FOR ROUND 2

We think we can make the AL work - the only reason would be if the aircraft grade AL is too weak for the bars....

Any preferende on what anodize you would like to see...

I'm a fan of function over form, so I'd prefer either a clear or a natural HAIII type. But that's me...

-DF
    KineticParadox ...a personal web space with my CBA Battery Testing and my LED Bin Coding Charts.

yep that would be my preference as well.... lets see what the other ones prefer who orderd AL.

Cool Re: GatLight SIGN UP FOR ROUND 2

I just placed my order for 1 SS Pila, 1 Al 123

Preference on Al is clear anodize. I've waited for the chance to have one of these since just missing out on the first run... Always held this light's design in the highest regard for a fresh aesthetic with unique properties! Congrats on your success and thanks for making these available! Saving funds for a Ti Pila version....
    LIGHT TRAVELS AT 186282.397 MILES PER SECOND... ANY FASTER WOULD BE DANGEROUS

I just ordered two more, an Aluminum, and a Stainless, to go with my Titanium.

I think my preference would be for Clear Anodize on the Aluminum as well.

Flashaholic*

Mobile1,

Very nice options and enhancements!!
    Last edited by Amorphous; 12-03-2005 at 10:15 PM.

Enlightened

Paypal sent for one SS R123.
    Thank you.

Order of stainless 123 and Pila out to you!

Karlthev

I get thrilled!

What are the available serial numbers?

What are the weight difference of the different lights?

I'm still in for this. Sent an email in response to the "heads up" email.

-LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

Flashaholic*

Will any other forms of payment besides paypal be offered?

rob

Payment (non paypal?)
    Well you can actually pay with any regular credit card - in the paymentoptions just select that you don't have a paypal account (and you also dont have to open one up).

Weights
    I know the weights of the last run (that one will be about the same) - don't know the AL or PILA Titanium
    GatLight with batteries
    168SS = 175.5gr
    123SS = 130.0gr
    123TI = 93.5gr
    The AL version would be quite a bit lighter....

Serial Numbers
    We probably will do V2-0001 - to whatever number of orders we get. The first couple ones reserved for Kyle and me.

Flashaholic*

deleted
    Last edited by fleegs; 12-04-2005 at 12:33 PM. Reason: deleted

Is the only reason to choose between the screws cosmetic, or are some functionally better than others?
    The shadows are darkest during the day.

Wink2 Re: GatLight SIGN UP FOR ROUND 2

The screws are purely cosmetic.... Of course the different materials have different characteristic in a screw - stainless is probably the best (don't know how brass compares / the black alloy is slightly inferior) - but nothing you would ever notice in any way in this light.

Fleegs: regarding paypal credit card. I have had problems myself using the credit card (instead of paypal). I looked up the issue on PayPal this is what I came up with:
    ---------
    PayPal's process for accepting cards is more stringent and complicated. This process helps prevent the use of stolen and unauthorized cards. Since this process is very complex, it does occasionally affect valid cards. The denial of your credit card is not reflective of your credit worthiness. In cases where a valid card fails our system checks, we suggest that you try another credit card in the system.
    ---------
    When I logged in and paid through my PayPal account the same card seemed to work. Sorry about that....
    Last edited by mobile1; 12-04-2005 at 01:53 PM.

Flashaholic

PayPal sent for 1 x SS 168, 1 x 168 Pila Battery and internation shipping.

Thank You

for 1 SS 123 with SS hex screws

For (1) Stainless Steel 123 with Stainless Hex Flat Screws.

RJM
    Solid State Rules!

Just ordered a SS Pila version.

I failed to order a battery, I suppose I can wait. I assume this model comes sans battery?

Anyway thanks.

Looking forward to it.

One thing I forgot to do though was add my cpf Username to my order

the order I sent was id# 26S451795H464573Y and its me! mst3k.

No matter where you go there you are!

yep PILA version is without battery - since you need a battery and a charger and a lot of people already seem to have one. Feel free to place another order just for the battery (and just add in the notes that it be shipped with your other order.)

Walter

Walter, just to confirm that the contest winner for the best Gatlight photo will end when the 2nd runs starts delivery & the winner gets to choose the Gatlight of his choice in the available finishes/types in the 3rd run right? I really want a Ti 123 Gatlight but can't afford it right now, so hoping to do a nice photo that can win me one.

The contest will end when I close sign up for round 3. I basically want people who signed up for round 2 - to have a chance as well to take part in this.

It seems out of the first run only Stillphoto decided to give it a shot - so he is the only one who uploaded some photos to the ftp.

Sorry Flashlight we are pretty cash strapped at the moment, the contest is for a 3rd round Aluminum or Stainless 123 or PILA version. We can't do the Titanium - however if you would win, we could apply the price of the contest version towards a Titanium version so you would basically pay the price for a normal version - and be getting a Titanium.

Now if Kyle and I find ourselves in unexpected wealth we might upgrade the winning version to TI.

By the way I will likely close sign up for round 2 earlier then originally planned - we got quite a few orders in for round 2...
    ----------
    QUESTION TO EVERYONE WHO ORDERED TITANIUM:

Do you guys like the rods in the satin finish (the way they came in the first run) - or would you prefer polished rods? (if polished is prefered we'll see whether we can find polished ones...)

Thanks for the reply Walter. That's a good & fair deal then. Hopefully I can take some nice photos of my Gatlight when I get back from my trip. (I'd prefer the satin finish Ti rods. )

Well so far if you submit similar quality photos as still photo - so far you'd have a 50% chance. Wonder what the others prefer....

By the way we will most likely add a distinctive but very smooth clicking mechanism (ball bearing based) to the knob for this second run (prototype tests pending).... should provide a nice feel when turning the knob.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1
    By the way we will most likely add a distinctive but very smooth clicking mechanism (ball bearing based) to the knob for this second run (prototype tests pending).... should provide a nice feel when turning the knob.
    Yes !!