Foxfury Scout
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

Default Re: GatLight SIGN UP FOR ROUND 2 (design-change!)

I have had second thoughts about my two Gatlights and instead of the use of the Phillips head screws, I'd prefer the stainless Hex screws on both my 123 and my Pila. I had originally had some reservations about the Hex screws getting rounded off on the inside as many do however, after learning that they are for appearance rather than function I do believe that they won't be over-torqued and rounded internally.

Karlthev

No problem, for changes (everyone) in your order please send an email to orders at gatlight.com

Walter, I would love to see that picture, larger, and clearer, before I decide on the screws I want. Currently, I am pretty sure that I want to have hex screws on both of mine, but am not sure about the color.

Flashaholic*

PayPal sent for 1 x SS 123.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Don't hide your light! Let it shine for all!

Free I'll see what we can do.... need to talk to Kyle....

Wink2 Re: GatLight SIGN UP FOR ROUND 2 (design-change!)

Ok this is the best we can do regarding the screws....

Hey all this is my first post

I have a question about the gatlight.
    What ever happened to the glow paint on the batteries?
    Is that still an option, or should we just buy our own
    paint and paint them, because i would prefer if i could
    buy them with the paint. If it is still an option how much is it
    going to cost.

Thanks,
    Taylor

So can one assume that the hex screws will not be countersunk?
    Personally I think that a titanium hex screw which are countersunk is the way to go. They can be black anno if necessary. Using Ti will assure that these screws will not strip or round.
    I also beleive that countersunk screws look much better.

As fas as the general look of the V2? I say go ahead make any changes you think are necessary. I will wait to place my order untill the design is final.
    I have a SS V1 which is a very cool light. It is too heavy for EDC use, so I may want to get a Ti (too $$) or aluminum version next time around.
    The GatLight is certainly an out of the box design. Keep it up.
    Yaesumofo

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1
    Ok this is the best we can do regarding the screws....
    Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

Thanks for the bigger picture. I too am concerned that the Hex screws are sticking out. Is this the way they will look in the final version? If so, I may want to go back to the phillips heads in both of mine. Having the clean face, like on the V1, where you can run your finger all around without catching on anything is preferred.

I too (three?) agree with Yaesumofo and Free. I would like to see the hex screws flush or slightly countersunk as are my philips head screws on my 123 V1. Will they (hex) be flush or countersunk?

Karlthev

NO WORRIES....The screws look like they are sticking up because the counter sink on the first run design is 100 degrees, the new design will be 82 degrees (which gave us the options we are offering for this second run). The 82 degree screws just don't fit quite right in the first run 100 degree counter sinks.

So all screws will be countersunk like in the old design. The photo is more to get an idea of how the new screws will look.

I kind of like the original design with flush screws but both versions are so different from anything else it's not going to be painful to find myself the proud owner of one.

As for the Ti grade, I have a 99-100% pure Ti chain that tarnishes with exposure to sweat and normal handling. I'm wondering if the version in this will have a similar problem.

-LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

LUNAL TIC - well I have a TI watch and wedding ring (both 99% TI) and have never seen that behavior - sure it gets dirty, but I wash it with soap and its like new. Titanium is resistant to almost all acids, also TI is used in desalination plants and has excellent resistance to sea water - which is why it doesnt make sense to me why it would tarnish with sweat. Maybe the chain is not TI but only has a TI-anodize (tiodize) which just creates the look of TI but isn't really TI.

I don't know what to tell you. I picked up a chain from Horie here in Japan and under the care instructions it says don't wear when exercising or perspiring heavily because it will change the color. I've noticed that it is the case with the chain I've got but I've not tried to clean it as you suggest. Since all the other Ti items I have are alloys I just thought I should ask.

-LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

We will close cpf sign up probably day after tomorrow (Wednesday morning - pacific time).

Regarding the TI I have to ask Kyle maybe he knows more. My experience with TI, I swim a lot in seawater and chlorinated water (almost every day for an hour or more), and my wedding ring (99% TI) doesnt show the slightest bit of tarnishing or coloring. My guess is that it has to do do with Horie's color treatment of TI.

My guess is that it has to do do with Horie's color treatment of TI.
    My chain is just silver colored. Do they treat it as they do with silver aluminum like "clear ano" or do you suppose it is just raw?

-LT
    lunal tic (n)

STILLPHOTO took some more amazing shots of the first run GatLight - I have to share those with you guys...

I think once we have the prototypes we'll send one or two out to Stillphoto...

Flashaholic*

Cold raw hard steel in a technically advanced form.

Really captures the beauty of the light.

Excellent composition!
    |Nuwai|GLP's|Aleph 3|PR-T w/E2e|Costco HID's|ARC LSH-S| Mr Bulk|Lumaray FL12|PocketMateW|MagHID|Mag85|AWR Nano|Amilite|SFIII Mc38-V|TnC Lithium Lux V XYOS 03/10|Fenix Trio|SuperNova|Illuminator|PGL-III-A's| Gatlight SS V2|Nitrous McLuxIII PD|USL|AN/VSS-3a|FM Ni Plt'd C Mag|FM 3.5" Mag Head|

Ok we closed sign up for round 2. The cpf order page at www.gatlight.com/cpf has been changed to an order page for a regular V2 production version (without the bells and whistles of the cpf version).

ahhhhhh man i was just gonna buy one tonight too

All well i guess i will buy the v2. what are the differences again between the cpf version and v2.

Email sent. Off to the airport.

-LT
    lunal tic (n)

Ok - then regarding design, the second run (or GatLight V2 CPF) will all have the new design as discussed above (since according to the poll that ran in the homemade sction the majority seems to prefer the new look).

However the difference between old and new seems to be a lot larger when looking at renderings or extreme close up photos. In reality the light is pretty small, and the difference is not that noticable as it is in the renderings. Just look at my signature which shows the V2 design further away. Or even this rendering here which is still larger then the light in real size.

Also in photos the area we have added the radius is often shaded - or darker (look at www.gatlight.com) which reduces the noticable difference even more for those who prefered the old design.

However if anyone who signed up for the V2 CPF run, as a result of us using the new design, does not want the GatLight anymore (because of the slightly changed look), please let me know and we'll send you a full refund.
    Last edited by mobile1; 12-14-2005 at 09:13 PM. Reason: added shading section

Flashaholic

Interesting, closing the sign-up before deciding what you are going to build...So none of the original (or bezel camfer mod) for sale in ANY or the styles?
    NextLight

from good, to better, to ...

I can see your point. We figured that people who signed up and don't like the new design would get a refund. I am sorry, I did not anticipate that some people were holding out until all details are set - but that makes sense.

So here is what I can do to fix this:

Everyone who was holding out for the details can send me a pm and I'll send you a link where you can sign up for a GatLight V2-CPF version for 2-3 more days..

By the way regarding features, what was announced is the minimum. Over the next few weeks we might throw in more features (whatever we can make work of the many things we are looking into). These things are temperature-based diming, maybe a lower brightness level etc.

We didnt announce these features because some we don't know whether we can make them work (in the little space & time we have), and some are only an ideas so far. Our goal is NOT to maximize revenue or sales at this point but to maximize the current design in every possible way, before moving into larger scale productions. As a thank you to those people who help us doing that with their prepay money, they will get the very nice extras of this cpf version (better finish, pot, serial # etc.), maybe additional features at a price that is the same or less what the future PRODUCTION version will cost.

Why are we not offering old and new design. Some background. For this version the light has 73 parts, and we are already offering 5 different lights (stainless 123, stainless 168, Ti 123, TI 168, AL 123) each with 5 different screw combinations. Providing the option to have the old & new design would double this to 10 different lights. We simply can't afford that variety.

Right now this is small hand made home manufacturing of a light that is from a mechanical point of view, probably the most complex light ever sold on cpf.
    The V1-run had 63 parts and took 4h for each light to assemble. In the 2nd run we probably can decrease the hours but the complexity with now at least 73 parts has increased. Adding different designs to all that would significantly lower the cost advantage of a larger run.

Once larger production runs start, maybe sometime in the future we can do a dedicated CPF run (sporting the V1-look) - but whether this happens at all or when is totally open.

Flashaholic

Default Re: GatLight V2 Thread

Well done, I am happy with all that you have done. It muste be realised that is is a slamm run of complex lights. Ok not everyone will be happy, but when does that ever happen.

Flashaholic

Talking Re: GatLight V2 Thread

Just a thought here. if you're doing any of the assembly work in the SF bay area, i'd be happy to come out and help put 'em together with you.

not for any type of monetary compensation, per se, but for the bragging rights to say that i touched so-and-so's light first

that.. and i wanted to do as much as i could to make sure my light gets sent out on time, or before that!

Yellow - thanks for the offer. I think we might take you up on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated and of course if you screw your light together first yourself - you would be getting yours first. As with the last run we'll produce a couple prototypes first - to check that everything works...(probably be December, early January), then start assembling the lights in February - at which point in time I might contact you. That would defenitely help getting lights out faster... also I am sure we could think of some fringe benefits for helpers (would have to talk to Kyle about that).

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1
    Yellow - thanks for the offer. I think we might take you up on it.

Hmmm, yellow1, that sounds like a very cool opprotunity for you.

Generous of you to offer your time, and of mutual benifit to all parties involved !!

( and mine is the SS123 with the black screws, he he. )
    |Nuwai|GLP's|Aleph 3|PR-T w/E2e|Costco HID's|ARC LSH-S| Mr Bulk|Lumaray FL12|PocketMateW|MagHID|Mag85|AWR Nano|Amilite|SFIII Mc38-V|TnC Lithium Lux V XYOS 03/10|Fenix Trio|SuperNova|Illuminator|PGL-III-A's| Gatlight SS V2|Nitrous McLuxIII PD|USL|AN/VSS-3a|FM Ni Plt'd C Mag|FM 3.5" Mag Head|

By the way I was reading previous posts, someone asked whether the screws are functional or purely cosmetic. I answered cosmetic - since they don't have any user function where a user needs to remove them.
    However the screws have the function of attaching the front bezel and the back parts to the rods, so in this sense they are functional. Just wanted to clarify this.

Flashaholic

hey guysI don't know if I'm late but just to give my 2 cents here...
    I think the OLD look is better...But as someone said before....
    The final vote is not only mine...

Thanks again,
    M.TEX