Maxpedition - Knives and Tools
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

Default Re: GatLight V2 Thread

OK, I guess I'd call them functional then---they "function" to hold the light together!

Karlthev

that's true they are functional then - however for those that ordered hex, we'll use special torque screw drivers to not damage the hex screws...

Then I finally looked into how many lights for Round 2 have been ordered. Turns out my guesstimate based ont he paypal balance was wrong. . For GatLight Round 2 we got 91 orders in during the short time we had sign up open. Originally we estimated our capacity to be 80, but we'll make it work so everyone gets their lights in time. Thanks to everyone for the trust and support. Like with the first run we'll do our best to give you the nicest GatLight possible.

Thanks for the careful treatment on my next two with the hex screws Walter!! I never had a doubt.

karlthev

these lights look very cool.

It was Kyle's idea - I didnt know there was such a tool....
    Last edited by mobile1; 12-19-2005 at 05:15 PM.

good news, GatLight V2 bin code will most likely be TX0J, or you also have the option to send us your own emitter, and we can put that one in.

Then some more info, we are currently looking into whether we can offer an option for the owners of a FIRST RUN Titanium version - where we could replace the satin - TI bars with polished Titanium bars. No promises yet, we are still waiting to get some price quotes. But those in posession of a TI V1 GatLight can think about whether they would be interested in that.

Smile Re: GatLight V2 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1
    good news, GatLight V2 bin code will most likely be TX0J, or you also have the option to send us your own emitter, and we can put that one in.
    OOooo, a chance to put my spare UXOK to good use Would it be ok to send a star instead? I'm sometimes not the most delicate at removing the emmiter

-DF
    KineticParadox ...a personal web space with my CBA Battery Testing and my LED Bin Coding Charts.

By the way I just ordered 100 TX0J binned Luxeon 3 for this second run. I had to fill in a declaration that we don't export these into certain countries (mostly arabic ones).
    I had no idea that LEDs are considered technically a "sensitive technology". Has anyone else heard about that.

Regarding sending stars - I have removed emitters from stars, however there is always the risk (however a small one though) of the tabs breaking which would be a bit awkward if we were to do it. We would prefer it if you could send us the emitter. Send me a pm so I can send you the address, if you are interested. (unless you are willing to take the risk, if we remove the emitter. If we are unsuccessful -no refund-)

However here is something else to consider. Remember we offer the option ($) to upgrade your GatLight to a K2 (you just send in the driver) and we upgrade it to a K2 once nice bins become available. I don't think other lights have such an option (other then the indium smart)

Flashaholic*

However here is something else to consider. Remember we offer the option ($) to upgrade your GatLight to a K2 (you just send in the driver) and we upgrade it to a K2 once nice bins become available. I don't think other lights have such an option (other then the indium smart)
    Very K2OOL option !!
    |Nuwai|GLP's|Aleph 3|PR-T w/E2e|Costco HID's|ARC LSH-S| Mr Bulk|Lumaray FL12|PocketMateW|MagHID|Mag85|AWR Nano|Amilite|SFIII Mc38-V|TnC Lithium Lux V XYOS 03/10|Fenix Trio|SuperNova|Illuminator|PGL-III-A's| Gatlight SS V2|Nitrous McLuxIII PD|USL|AN/VSS-3a|FM Ni Plt'd C Mag|FM 3.5" Mag Head|

Flashaholic*

By the way I just ordered 100 TX0J binned Luxeon 3 for this second run. I had to fill in a declaration that we don't export these into certain countries (mostly arabic ones).
    I had no idea that LEDs are considered technically a "sensitive technology". Has anyone else heard about that.
    I recall a thread mentioning that all the manufactured X-bins seemed to be going to the military, not available to custom builders..........Can anyone comment further?
    |Nuwai|GLP's|Aleph 3|PR-T w/E2e|Costco HID's|ARC LSH-S| Mr Bulk|Lumaray FL12|PocketMateW|MagHID|Mag85|AWR Nano|Amilite|SFIII Mc38-V|TnC Lithium Lux V XYOS 03/10|Fenix Trio|SuperNova|Illuminator|PGL-III-A's| Gatlight SS V2|Nitrous McLuxIII PD|USL|AN/VSS-3a|FM Ni Plt'd C Mag|FM 3.5" Mag Head|

Hmm I see, wonder why they would do that. Aren't there other similar options out there (Golden Dragons) which makes me wonder why these export restrictions.

Default Re: GatLight V2 now with UNLIM.BRIGHTNESS LEVELS

This is an important information about the exciting features we will add to the ordered GatLight V2 versions. So far we plan to add these NEW features for FREE - however they come at the expense of a one month later delivery date (April-June instead March to May).

1) DISCLAIMER AND LEGAL
    We did preliminary tests on these new featues and things look good so far - however we reserve the right to NOT implement a feature if for whatever reason unexpected things or changes out of our control show up.
    For this light, design and features, all rights reserved / (c) 2005 / patents pending

2) NEW FEATURES
    Here are the new FEATURES we will try to implement for the GatLight V2:

a) Unlimited Brightness Levels
    :

click on image to see movie clip

YES, The GatLight V2 will come with unlimited brightness levels regulated through the knob in the back. For details refer to the video clip .

b) Temperature Sensor (tests pending)Our goal is to make the V2 GatLight the brightest LED light in its size. The unique design with 3 times the surface area (compared to other lights in this size) provides superior heat sink capabilities. For the V2 GatLight we will remove the potentiometer on the driver which in the V1-GatLights allowed to adjust the brightness and replace it with a temperature sensor. The max. brightness level setting will be brighter then what a light in this size (even with 3 times the heatsink area) can handle continuesly from a heat sink point of view. The GatLight will still allow to be run at that level. However the moment the LED & driver will reach an unsafe temperature (85C), the driver will switch the LED to a save current (dimmed light) level until a save temperature (75C) is reached again, before switching back to the original requested brightness.
    This gives you more brightness then with any other light in this size but without the risk of killing the LED or the driver due to overheating.

c) Aluminium Core Circuit Boards
    : For the driver we will use solid Aluminum Core circuit boards (like the ones used in the Luxeon Stars). Even though these boards are almost 10 times as expensive to produce, this will provide your GatLight with the best possible heat transfer to the housing (and is the method recommended by Lumileds).

d) Clicking Knob: The Knob of the GatLight V2 will contain 2 spring loaded ball bearings to provide a nice and balanced click feeling when the knob is rotated (12 clicks for a full rotation). In addition to that we add a mechanism which allows to adjust the light for small length differences found in standard sized batteries as well as sync the clicks with the ON and OFF function.

e) Packaging: The GatLight V2 will be packaged in a clear custom cut acrylic tube held in place by two custom cut camera foam pieces. Two black end caps on each side will finish the packaging of the V2 series.

f) Many Smaller Changes

O-Ring color and Silicone Seal colors will be a beautiful blue (In V1 it was red/pink). The battery will not require manual centering anymore, round screws that hold the battery lid will make knob operation easier, and many more smaller changes...

3) DELIVERY DATE
    As mentioned these features will push out delivery time by ONE MONTH (to APRIL - JUNE). Also please understand that the complexity with these new features has increased a lot compared to V1 and we are dependent on a large number of companies who deliver one or more of the 85 parts of this light. We'll do our best to deliver your light on time (as we did with the V1 lights) and we are confident to start delivering the lights in April, but please understand that as complexity increases not all things are under our control.

If you SIGNED UP and either don't like these new features or are not willing to wait one month longer, please contact us for a full refund.

4) QUESTIONS / SIGN UP

Questions can be posted here in this thread.

If you want to be informed when we open sign up for more V2-GatLights, please fill in the form located here. Also because of these improved features future versions and runs of the GatLight will have a slightly higher price then what we charged for the original sign up of this v2 run.

This announcement will be sent by email to everyone who signed up and paid for the V2 series.

Also I created a POLL in this thread here to get the opinion of everyone who signed up (new features vs 1 month delay). If a large majority prefers faster delivery over these new features we might consider taking this approach - let us know what you think.

5) SERIAL NUMBERS

A NOTE TO EVERYONE WHO SIGNED UP. PayPal for some reason did not save the requested serial number and phone information.

I ask everyone who signed up and paid for this light to submit an email to serial at gatlight.com, listing their serial number preferences Also please add to this email your NAME, CELL or HOME PHONE NUMBER - for shipping purposes.
    Serial numbers will have the format V2/0001 to V2/0105 (the lower ones will be reserved for Kyle and myself).
    Last edited by mobile1; 01-04-2006 at 08:57 AM.

I'm shooting myself in the foot as we speak.... I REALLY wish I would of signed up now.

One question mobile1, is it unlimited brightness levels or 12 levels as per the switch? I'm kinda confused, but either way it doesn't really matter... that's shaping up to be one hell of a light!

Its unlimited brightness levels... the knob simply has 12 clicks - for a nicer operation... but you can also just leave the knob at any setting in between with the brightness adjusting accordingly.

I ask everyone who signed up and paid for this light to submit an email to serial at gatlight.com, listing their serial number preferences Also please add to this email your NAME, CELL or HOME PHONE NUMBER - for shipping purposes.
    Serial numbers will have the format V2/0001 to V2/0105 (the lower ones will be reserved for Kyle and myself).
    * Email sent with serial number preference.
    Solid State Rules!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

Walter / Kyle,

I am absolutely delighted that the "Linear Variable Brightness" feature from the tail knob is implemented. To top it off with additional features such as Aluminium circuit for cooling, and the ball bearing clicky knob, and heat sensor are just unbelievable. Awesome work guys!!

This is the Holy Grail of Flashlight!!

Last edited by Amorphous; 01-04-2006 at 10:00 AM.

Email sent.

-LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

Done, and I voted in the poll for the extra features. Great implementation of the variable brightness. Keep up the good work guy's.

OOPS: My e-mail bounced back.

Recipient: <serial at gatlight.com> (I put in the @ symbol)
    Reason: sorry, no mailbox here by that name (#5.1.1 - chkuser)
    Last edited by Free; 01-04-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Grinser2 Re: GatLight V2 now with UNLIM.BRIGHTNESS LEVELS

submit an email to serial at gatlight.com
    Done!

-DF
    Last edited by DFiorentino; 01-04-2006 at 11:25 AM.
    KineticParadox ...a personal web space with my CBA Battery Testing and my LED Bin Coding Charts.

I fixed the bouncing, please try again, sorry about that

Flashaholic*

Prototype email sent !

Very Cool upgrades for us, active thermal management, variable brightness,
    very pleased !

Nice work mobile1....

Nice job, VERY nice job!

Karl

I didn't realize how small the Gatlight was until I watched the video. It's a compact light....I can't wait to get my hands on mine.

RJM
    Solid State Rules!

Just curious, at some point, would it be possible to add some of the new features to a V1 Gatlight, perhaps when I send it in for a K2 upgrade??

Quote Originally Posted by Free
    Just curious, at some point, would it be possible to add some of the new features to a V1 Gatlight, perhaps when I send it in for a K2 upgrade??
    Good question Free, I'd be keen to know too.

Well at the moment we are struggling to package everything into the limited space of a V2 while trying to keep the delivery date.

Regarding upgradability of a V1 version - right now our priorities are finalizing and production of the V2 designs which will keep us busy at least until April. A full upgrade of all features won't be possible, regarding the brightness levels maybe part of it can be done, maybe not, it depends, we would have to look into it once the V2's get shipped.

It seems like most machine shops have plenty of work to do in January - especially after the holidays... hard to get parts fast....

Flashaholic

Excellent - well done !
    Vandrecken
    -----------

Since our machinist cant produce the metal parts until February we are FORCED to do some more development which might result in additional features ... some really cool ones!!
    We'll know more in 2 weeks, I'll keep you posted.

Flashaholic*

Yeah.. Babe