Foxfury Rook
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

Default Re: GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

Walter,

GREAT NEWS !!!

Outstanding work , with your last post you make my day !

I feel a little bad because i think that the price of the V2 is under his value so i'll paypal another 5$ ASAP ( a drop in the sea, i know ) and you can leave out the RC123 of my package, now that the problem is resolved i don't think i need a rechargeable !

Thanks.
    Marco V.

Data:
    No you do not need a bottoming tap. You only need to clear the first few threads to get a good electrical contact. And yes you can clean the screws with a wire brush. You will need a 2-56 UNC-2B tap and some conductive epoxy. You only need the epoxy to keep the screws in place. The light will work fine without the epoxy but the screws may not stay in place and will require subsequent adjustment. The epoxy we use is Emerson & Cumming Eccobond 56C. This is an aerospace grade solder replacement epoxy that has vary good electrical and structural properties. However this epoxy is vary expensive, a more economical alternative is MG Chemicals 8331. Of course we can not warrantee any work that is performed outside of our control. Using a thread tap on these bars can be risky if you are not used to this size screw. If a thread is damaged than the only way to replace the bar that is damaged is to replace the entire center housing assembly.

Regards,

Kyle

In regards to the batteries....
    Although the recent discovery about the conduction through the screw threads improves the performance of the light greatly, we still highly recommend the use of rechargeable batteries in this light. The circuitry is still optimized for higher voltage batteries and you can expect an increase in efficiency and power output when using these. We are looking in to the possibility of creating a 3.0V optimized driver for this light and if this becomes available in the future we will be sure to notify everyone of this.

Regards,

Kyle

You guys are unbelieveable! Thanks so much!
    Gentlemen, you can't fight in here.. This is the war room!!

I know you guys are working flat out getting lights out. Do you have any idea when they will be available to buy again for us that missed out?

Quote Originally Posted by LumenCraft1
    We are looking in to the possibility of creating a 3.0V optimized driver for this light . . .
    Kyle

A few more pics for the archive.

Last edited by rmacias; 07-15-2006 at 07:14 PM.
    Solid State Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by rmacias
    A few more pics for the archive.

Beautiful pictures!!!

WP

You dont need to qoute me, but there will be one new person per weak asking when the next round of ordering is..

Hey Walter.

I purchased a V2 Gatlight froma member on CPF, I will be shipping mine to you with my name and address in the box if it is OK with you.

Thanks!
    Last edited by PoliceScannerMan; 07-17-2006 at 10:57 AM.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!

Of course, no problem, just send it back, as long as you include your address in the package.

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1

Progress with the remaining units
    A smaller number of units will ship tomorrow - mostly to Japan and other international destination (since the first round was domestic only). Then after the weekend (Monday) we expect to ship a larger number of lights.

Sorry about the delays. We haven't had much UPS-Karma lately. The adjustment tools were delivered to another address (UPS of course had no clue, they didn't even know anything was wrong). When Kyle found out the address he drove down there, and found the package sitting on the door steps of an abandoned house!!!! go figure. Then UPS lost another package, and is currently in the process of finding it. Fortunately the batteries got in yesterday. Despite all this, we are able to ship a number of lights tomorrow and a larger number Monday. Which lights these are will be posted on the website beginning of this coming week.

We are glad that we found the cause of these issues. The lights that ship next work great, and are no comparison to the first batch. Also I am sure the first-batch GatLight owners don't mind a little brightness tune up .
    Hope that includes Singapore!
    "For those who know, no explanation is needed. And for those whom do not, none is possible." They can take your money away, but they can't take your education. If a man's not worth his word then what's he worth?

Mobile 1, are you still updating gatlight.com with the shipped units ?

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1
    This Thread will present the GatLight V2 - and includes design changes, features, sign up information.
    NOW WITH UNLIMITED BRIGHTNESS LEVELS - see video

Here are the specs:

-Lux III 50mA to 1000mA (adjustable by using a small screwdriver)
    -Upgradeable to a Luxeon K2 once it becomes available
    -fully waterproof

The housing design:
    1. Unlimited Brightness Levels (for details see video)
    2. Designed to maximize thermal efficiency by maximizing exposed surface area.

3. Mechanical housing assembly analyzed using finite element analysis (FEA) in order to insure structural integrity under stress

4. Materials: 316 Stainless steel or Titanium (both with hand polished finish)

5. Water sealing designed to withstand depths greater than 1 meter

6. Aerospace grade 82 deg. flat head screws per military specification NAS662

7. Housing screws thread staked for added durability.

8. Assembly performed in accordance with qualified spaceflight hardware procedures and requirements, in order to maximize reliability and quality.

9. Silicone environmental seals fabricated with the use of high vacuum degas process.

10. High precission components: <0.0005" tolerance

11. Heatsink bars pressed into main body under >500lbs axial force in order to maximize thermal efficiency.
    Circuit design:
    1. Circuit board designed to meet the requirements of IPC-A-610, Class 3 (High reliability) And NASA-STD-8739.3 (The same requirements applied to spaceflight circuit boards)

2. Aluminum core circuit boards to provide maximum thermal dissipation.

3. Circuit designed to handle up to 2000mA of current for short durations.

4. Temperature sensor automatically turns off LED at unsave temperature and restores brightness once a save temperature is achieved again.

5. Future versions up to 1500mA (K2)

6. Circuit board assembly performed by NASA qualified technician per NASA-STD-8739.3

7. LED mounted to circuit board using high performance thermal dissipation pad commonly used in spaceflight applications.

8. Circuit board epoxy potted using aerospace grade thermally conductive epoxy to maximize thermal mass and conduction surface area

9. Preliminary circuit design rated to 85 deg. C
    Assembly testing:
    1. Assembly tested using laboratory grade test equipment and processes.
    Then we offer in this run only an Aluminum version (tests pending / anodize is still to be determined - whatever we decide in this thread), also we now offer a Titanium PILA version. Then you got to choose different screws to alter the look of your light.

As you might now Jon S. Burlys will do the distribution of the GatLight outside of CPF - we would like to use cpf to introduce changes and new versions and get feedback we then introduce into units sold outside of cpf. Even though these cpf versions will be a bit more expensive, in return you get hand assembly, adjustable pot (to adjust for brightness and runtime) and the stainless versions will have more of a silver appearance.

We tried to keep the prices the same as in the first run (the increase comes from including the shipping costs/paypal in the price). The Titanium versions went up in price because our old machine ship refused to do anymore Titaniums at that price we got the last time. Also costs for Titanium went through the roof. That's just the way it is and we can't change it. If you like light weight, we think with the Aluminum version we have a more affordable alternative available (tests pending).

Also we might add more features in the next couple of weeks...

For more information visit www.gatlight.com
    Waterproof? Is the battery compartment covered with some tranparent material or what? Seems to me that the batt can get wet...

Quote Originally Posted by alvdll
    Waterproof? Is the battery compartment covered with some tranparent material or what? Seems to me that the batt can get wet...
    The battery compartment itself is not sealed by anything other than the metal rods but the positive & negative ends of the battery contacts are encased in silicone seals.
    "For those who know, no explanation is needed. And for those whom do not, none is possible." They can take your money away, but they can't take your education. If a man's not worth his word then what's he worth?

WATER
    There is nothing wrong with a shrinkwrapped battery getting wet as long as the poles are sealed. However regarding waterproof we would like to make the following comment.

• SEALS: This design is vary sensitive to the size and proper installation of the battery. If the right size battery is installed properly we have a vary high level of confidence that this light will remain water tight to 1m - maybe more. However because of this sensitivity we cannot at this time guarantee this performance until we have performed the proper testing.
    • CORROSION: This light has stainless steel components that are exposed to the exterior. Although we have made every effort to make this light corrosion proof (f.e. electropolishing), even stainless steel may rust under prolonged exposure in the right conditions. In order to test corrosion we boiled the housing section of a light in salt water for 10 minutes (10 minutes in this environment is probably much worse than 2 weeks in room temperature water). As a result of this test, we found small patched of yellowish tint on some surfaces. This vary slight corrosion was easy to polish off with a light abrasive, bringing the light back to its original condition. The Aluminum and Titanium units obviously will have different characteristics in regards to corrosion.

Until we have the time to perform the proper testing to verify the performance of this light at a depth we will be revising the specification to “water resistant” rather than “waterproof”.

SHIPPING
    Because we are applying the "replacing locktight with conductive epoxy fix "(as previously posted) things take a little bit longer (we've had all lights already screwed together)
    However we are working hard on getting lights out. Yesterday several GatLights (mostly to international locations) were shipped. Those went to the following people: 1st letter of firstname + 4 letters of last name plus country)

YKuro-Japan
    HTera-Japan
    KSuzu-Japan
    TTeji-Japan
    TTash-Japan
    MKame-Japan
    RKato-Japan
    TGlud-Denmark
    LVasa-Australia
    GHeng-Sweden
    TNato-Japan
    JMill-USA
    MMall-USA
    RSnyd-USA
    RYevi-USA

The next couple of days we will start working on Aluminum and Titanium versions so we can start shipping those to people who went with non steel versions (while continuing building steel versions).
    Last edited by mobile1; 07-18-2006 at 12:22 PM. Reason: adding the corrosion part

Ack! Too many torches showing up at one time!
    The shadows are darkest during the day.

Dang, not in the list....

Dang here too!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    Ack! Too many torches showing up at one time!

You got a problem with that???

A Ki-B showed up yesterday, Ti-PD should be showing up soon and now a gatlight to wait for. This is going to be a good 2 weeks...

The mailman was good to me today, Gatlight SS recieved!!! This light is beautiful! The SS is heavy but solid, reminds me of a line in the movie 'Snatch', "if it doesn't work, you could always hit him with it."(Boris)
    Awesome craftsmanship and nice white tint. Only gripe so far is that it seems to flicker at the lower setings, but at the higher settings it is fine, and bright, waiting for the sun to set tonight to have some fun. Great job guys, this was well worth the wait!!!
    What are you people......on DOPE!?!

Tomorrow we'll ship the first 4 aluminum units - looking forward to seeing some photos of those.... Then this weekend we'll hope to crank a large number of AL/TI/SS units out to be shipped Monday. I'll keep you posted...

Flashaholic

Hello Walter

Could you please give us a hint on the next Project ?
    I know I heard something about V3 but that's not what
    Im talking about. Any other type of light design ?
    Just give us the Idea....I know we can wait....

M.TEX
    M.TEX

Well I sure do hate sending my V2 123 satinless back to you for repair Walter but, it seems as though that's the only way here. Please do return it ASAP and I'll be waiitng by my mailbox.

Karlthev

Karl

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here.. This is the war room!!

12 more have shipped... we try to buld about 3-5 lights per day... I will be a bit less responsive the next couple of days since I am moving. However I'll address some of the questions later this week (future plans etc). By the way in this 12 the first 168S versions and Titanium are shipping.....

Flashaholic

Thanks Walter

Good Lucky on your moving....I know moving is a pain in...
    And I hope we can get good news next time you stop by.

M.TEX
    M.TEX

Well Walter, my V2 123 Stainless is in the mail to you! Doncha go before ya get it and send it back now!

Karl

Talking Re: GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

Went to the post office this evening and I'm now feel all sorts of Gat'riffic!

I need to aquire the proper backdrop and props for some worthy photos, but I figured I would just post up some comparative analysis. I used my lightbox to test a few of my single cell 123 lights with both primary CR123A and the provided Powerizer Li-Ion R123. The primary was a brand new Surefire and the Powerizer was freshly charged. (I was surprised that Tom's results were so favorable for these cells in particular. Very nice.) This wasn't meant to be super scientific, but the box has been proven quite repeatable and is very nice for comparison purposes.

The contenders:

(Don't mind the picture. The color and lighting are all off, but I just wanted to throw some sort of visual in.)

...and the results.

It should be noted that I provided the fine makers of my Aluminum Gatlight with my own LED. It has been brought to my attention that this LED may be what you could call an overachiever. Soooo, YMMV. That being said, I'm super-pleased with the amount of light output especially given that it's going through an optic and not a more efficient reflector.

Walter, Kyle and everyone who has had a helping hand...AMAZING work of art and technology!

I definitely need to take some nicer photos to do this light justice.

-DF
    KineticParadox ...a personal web space with my CBA Battery Testing and my LED Bin Coding Charts.

Flashaholic*

Thumbs up Re: GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

V2 arrived a few days ago, safe and sound. Simply outstanding !!

One question; I do have significant flickering at low levels, and much diminished brightness with a primary cell. Was my V2 part of the first batch with the Loctite on the battery compartment screws instead of the conductive epoxy ? (I didn't receive an e-mail regarding this)

Many thanks Walter, Kyle and everybody who contributed to this stunnning acheivement in design and function.
    Last edited by Dr_Joe; 07-25-2006 at 08:58 PM.