Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 3
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1821222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

Default Re: GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

Hi,

Just a quick hello to say that I got my Gatlight last week.

I've been a bit busy with other things, but hope to take some pictures and write a review in the near future.

I am amazed with the quality and look of this light. I'm still in shock how small it actually is. I've seen the photos and know the sizes but when you get it, its another matter.

Thanks

Mark
    Latest Reviews:-QIII,Aleph1,ARC4,ORB,LH, IK CR2 LE, Gladius, LionCub!,Pubfits,VB-16,SF U2,L1,Pubfits,ORB Raw Silver, Fenix L1+, JIL-Lite 1.3W UP, MAG 951 II
    Played With MegaRay175!
    NEW!Reviews New Host site www.cones-stuff.co.uk

Just got mine today! The hotspot is slightly off-center & the glow-in-dark coated R123 battery I'd been saving from the V1 doesn't fit unfortunately but still an amazing light! Again wishing I had got/could've afforded the Titanium one.
    "For those who know, no explanation is needed. And for those whom do not, none is possible." They can take your money away, but they can't take your education. If a man's not worth his word then what's he worth?

Well, I'm looking for my 123 that had to be returned (sigh!) for a tuneup. How is it coming along Walter?

Karl

I think my two stainless steel Gatlights are slowly draining their cells out while in the off position. I have a Surefire CR123 installed in each and the lights turned fully to the off position. Yet, over a week or two, each one will not power on and I find the cells dead. This has happened twice. Do I need to adjust the washer spacers in the lights to remedy this?

I just received my shipping notice for my TiGat... and in 11 days I will be in a Nevada desert with the finest dust on earth (we're talking particle size here).. approaching the fineness of moon dust.

Should I bring the TiGat? Could make for some good picture possibilities up against all the crazy stuff out there. But will the dust be a problem? Seems somewhat likely.
    • this • that • the other thing •

A couple of answers... arewethereyetdad.. regarding the drain issue... I can send you a small washer that goes behind the larger washer which completely deconects the back when in off and resolves this issue. A couple of lights (the first ones) were shipped without that washer.. We are adding the small washer to the ones who sent their first batch light in for the brightness upgrade (see previous post). Your light might have been one of those. Just shoot me an email to info at gatlight.com with address and I'll send you the washer.

Regarding Nevada desert dust.... well since you can completely take the light apart it should be easily cleanable... probably some great photo opportunities out there....

Walter, thanks for that. I knew you'd:

a. respond right away
    b. have a solution already in mind
    c. offer to fix it for free

Your service is outstanding, the Gatlights are remarkable, and I am very, very pleased!

Yes, I will take that remedy washer for both. PM coming.

I got my Gatlight today, but no additional rechargable battery nor a charger! (both of which I paid for a month ago)

Anyone else have this problem?

Flashaholic*

Thinking Re: GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

Quote Originally Posted by arewethereyetdad
    I think my two stainless steel Gatlights are slowly draining their cells out while in the off position. I have a Surefire CR123 installed in each and the lights turned fully to the off position. Yet, over a week or two, each one will not power on and I find the cells dead. This has happened twice. Do I need to adjust the washer spacers in the lights to remedy this?
    I had the same problem, then I noticed (in complete darkness) that though my Gatlight was switched off as much as possible, there was still the faintest flickering glow from the LED !

My solution was to remove a washer from the switch.

I'm glad Walter has come up with a fix for this as mine is in the mail to him right now for the conductivity fix.

I have to say that Walter and Kyle are providing such outstanding service that I am in no way upset regarding these little issues. I love my Gatlights !

I only wish some other recent flashlight purchases with MAJOR problems (like tritium vials precariously stuck to the exterior) had even 10% of the support Walter and Kyle are providing.
    Last edited by Dr_Joe; 08-20-2006 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Joe
    I only wish some other recent flashlight purchases with MAJOR problems (like tritium vials precariously stuck to the exterior) had even 10% of the support Walter and Kyle are providing.
    Maybe we can chalk that up to stateside vs. overseas.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1
    A couple of answers... arewethereyetdad.. regarding the drain issue... I can send you a small washer that goes behind the larger washer which completely deconects the back when in off and resolves this issue. A couple of lights (the first ones) were shipped without that washer.. We are adding the small washer to the ones who sent their first batch light in for the brightness upgrade (see previous post). Your light might have been one of those. Just shoot me an email to info at gatlight.com with address and I'll send you the washer.
    This answered my battery drain problem I am having with two of my lights. Sounds like it is easy to fix. I`ll send you an Email.

Thank you,
    Ken

MIA!! My 123 SS Gatlight is MIA!! Walter, I keep looking in the mail for my poor light I'd returned to you for "tweaking"!! Just can't stand the wait! Please help.

Karl

Hmm mine still have not arrived
    Quote Originally Posted by flashlight
    Just got mine today! The hotspot is slightly off-center & the glow-in-dark coated R123 battery I'd been saving from the V1 doesn't fit unfortunately but still an amazing light! Again wishing I had got/could've afforded the Titanium one.
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

Neither of mine have arrived yet either. Anticipation...

Enlightened

Still waiting over here as well, but overseas shipments tend to take their time. Did you guys get a shipping confirmation (I didn't)?

Marcus

Well, I HAD mine but I was finding a bit of the "sputtering"--"flickering" and I sent it back to Walter/Kyle for a checkup. I'm sure it's in the best hands just getting impatient is all!

Karl

Karl, and 4 other lights got shipped back yesterday. It took a bit longer because USPS screwed up some parts we were supposed to get.

Generally those who send it in (of the first 30 lights who shipped), we'll try to do a 2 week turn around once I get it for the upgrade/first batch fix).

Thanks Walter/Kyle, much appreciated! You're real stand up guys and that means

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 08-22-2006 at 04:14 AM.

GhostReaction, EricMack, quantile,

Your Gatlights are next on the list. They will be going out in the next few days. Sorry for the delay.
    Thanks,
    Kyle

Great! Thanks for the great news, Kyle

Enlightened

Thanks for the update, this is good news. I was beginning to think my Gatlight was stuck in the mail system/customs.

Marcus

No sign of my light either. I figured I'd mention it to see if I would get in on the next batch.

Spudman,
    Yes, yours will also be in that batch.

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by arewethereyetdad
    I have had the same problem as others have mentioned. Have had the charge drain out three times so far.

Whatever instructions there are for fixing this, I hope theyr'e written for the ham handed - at times I can get in trouble changing a battery.

Cliff
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

I think im catching the bug, itch, fever or whatever its called because im starting to eye multiple flashlights I want to buy. When I was younger I went to a pelican booth at a regional fair and bought a $20 flashlight. My parents though it was a bit nuts but it was my money. hehe. More recently, I discovered this forum over a year ago while looking for tritium glowrings but wasnt that interested. Then I got into lasers. After buying a dangerously powerfull one and putting it to good use I realized that I needed regular illumination too, so I came back here looking for a great edc light. I discovered the gatlight and instantly fell in love. I decided to order an Al one as soon as I can. However, i've started looking through the forums and finding other lights that I might want.

But, I have a few questions. Are the lumen ratings acurate? I belive the gatlight pushes the limits but I see other lights that have similar lumen ratings. For instance the Orb Raw. How can that light be rated at 100 lumens also, when it has a much smaller battery (cr2 instead of cr12a) and doesnt have the heat sinking ability of the gatlight?

Lastly does anyone have any suggestion for a backup/keychain light? I was thinking along the lines of one of the single AAA lights, a covert photon freedom micro max coin cell, or an Orb Raw 1 Watt w high/low switch cr2.

The lumen ratings are total output from the emitter. There are light losses due to the optic as well as spill from the side of the light. I recon mine to be around 55 lumens at the maximum. It is a little less bright than my HDS U-60 on a ceiling bounce test.
    Gentlemen, you can't fight in here.. This is the war room!!

Cliffnopus, if you send me your address (to info at gatlight dot com) I'll send you some small washers which permanently fix this issue.

mpteach, Lumen ratings... well it is whatever the LED puts out, the mfg of the optics claims 85% efficiency. Which is a bit less than 95+ of what you get with a reflector, however we like the look the optics provides to the design.

The LEDs we use are T bin Lux IIIs... so whatever they put out times 0.85 at least if what the mfg state is reliable (which in lumileds case is not always true).

I have some feedback after owning my Ti GL V2 for a week. First, on the up side, this is by far the best looking light I own. My wife said, "The look reminds of a Greek column. Of all the flashlights you have, that's the one I would want." These other lights include a Ti Chameleon, Ti PD, and Ti CR2 ION--which are definitely not ugly lights.

Second, on the down side, I think the user interface is going to limit my use of this light. It's extremely difficult to operate with one hand. There's a lot of turning to go from off to any light at all. Once you have some light, the output is very sensitive to small movements of the knob.

With this interface, its going to be limited to a bedside light where I have time to fiddle with it to get it on and at the output I want. It's just too much work for EDC. Which is a shame because in addition to looking great, the beam is pretty much exactly what I want from my EDC.

For reference. The PD and Chameleon interfaces are what I like in an EDC. If you grafted either interface on to the Gatlight, I might stop using those other lights. But the GL V2 is still a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by kevindick
    I have some feedback after owning my Ti GL V2 for a week. First, on the up side, this is by far the best looking light I own. My wife said, "The look reminds of a Greek column. Of all the flashlights you have, that's the one I would want." These other lights include a Ti Chameleon, Ti PD, and Ti CR2 ION--which are definitely not ugly lights.

Second, on the down side, I think the user interface is going to limit my use of this light. It's extremely difficult to operate with one hand. There's a lot of turning to go from off to any light at all. Once you have some light, the output is very sensitive to small movements of the knob.

With this interface, its going to be limited to a bedside light where I have time to fiddle with it to get it on and at the output I want. It's just too much work for EDC. Which is a shame because in addition to looking great, the beam is pretty much exactly what I want from my EDC.

For reference. The PD and Chameleon interfaces are what I like in an EDC. If you grafted either interface on to the Gatlight, I might stop using those other lights. But the GL V2 is still a keeper.
    Wonder if installing the ballbearings will help in your case?
    "For those who know, no explanation is needed. And for those whom do not, none is possible." They can take your money away, but they can't take your education. If a man's not worth his word then what's he worth?

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1821222324252627282930 LastLast