GatLight V2 - now with unlimited brightness levels

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
This Thread will present the GatLight V2 - and includes design changes, features, sign up information.
NOW WITH UNLIMITED BRIGHTNESS LEVELS - see video

Here are some new photos... of the GatLight V2

alb3.jpg

dscn2081flare.jpg

al1.JPG

11tri.JPG

13tri.JPG

ximgp7143.jpg

ximgp7139.jpg

ximgp7148.jpg

ximgp7141.jpg

---------------
gl1.jpg

Front3quarter%20copy.jpg

V1%20Serial%20copy.jpg

More photos can be seen in the GatLight Photo Gallery.

Photos, more details and FEEDBACK from people who got lights in the first run is located in the PREVIOUS GATLIGHT THREAD.

THIS V2 VERSION WILL HAVE THIS SLIGHTLY IMPROVED LOOK
GATLIGHTV2.jpg

DELIVERY DATE: we start shipping orders in APRIL 2006. Then depending on the number of orders we'll get it might take us 1-2 months or longer to ship all orders. Orders will be shipped on a first come first serve basis.

FOR QUESTIONS: post here in this thread.
(or if you prefer email, use the contact form on GatLight.com

Here are the specs:

-Lux III 50mA to 1000mA (adjustable by using a small screwdriver)
-Upgradeable to a Luxeon K2 once it becomes available
-fully waterproof

The housing design:
  1. Unlimited Brightness Levels (for details see video)
  2. Designed to maximize thermal efficiency by maximizing exposed surface area.
  3. Mechanical housing assembly analyzed using finite element analysis (FEA) in order to insure structural integrity under stress
  4. Materials: 316 Stainless steel or Titanium (both with hand polished finish)
  5. Water sealing designed to withstand depths greater than 1 meter. Until detailed water testing has been completed, only water resistance is guaranteed.
  6. Aerospace grade 82 deg. flat head screws per military specification NAS662
  7. Housing screws thread staked for added durability.
  8. Assembly performed in accordance with qualified spaceflight hardware procedures and requirements, in order to maximize reliability and quality.
  9. Silicone environmental seals fabricated with the use of high vacuum degas process.
  10. High precission components: <0.0005" tolerance
  11. Heatsink bars pressed into main body under >500lbs axial force in order to maximize thermal efficiency.
Circuit design:
  1. Circuit board designed to meet the requirements of IPC-A-610, Class 3 (High reliability) And NASA-STD-8739.3 (The same requirements applied to spaceflight circuit boards)
  2. Aluminum core circuit boards to provide maximum thermal dissipation.
  3. Circuit designed to handle up to 2000mA of current for short durations.
  4. Temperature sensor automatically turns off LED at unsave temperature and restores brightness once a save temperature is achieved again.
  5. Future versions up to 1500mA (K2)
  6. Circuit board assembly performed by NASA qualified technician per NASA-STD-8739.3
  7. LED mounted to circuit board using high performance thermal dissipation pad commonly used in spaceflight applications.
  8. Circuit board epoxy potted using aerospace grade thermally conductive epoxy to maximize thermal mass and conduction surface area
  9. Preliminary circuit design rated to 85 deg. C
Assembly testing:
  1. Assembly tested using laboratory grade test equipment and processes.
Then we offer in this run only an Aluminum version (tests pending / anodize is still to be determined - whatever we decide in this thread), also we now offer a Titanium PILA version. Then you got to choose different screws to alter the look of your light.

As you might now Jon S. Burlys will do the distribution of the GatLight outside of CPF - we would like to use cpf to introduce changes and new versions and get feedback we then introduce into units sold outside of cpf. Even though these cpf versions will be a bit more expensive, in return you get hand assembly, adjustable pot (to adjust for brightness and runtime) and the stainless versions will have more of a silver appearance.

We tried to keep the prices the same as in the first run (the increase comes from including the shipping costs/paypal in the price). The Titanium versions went up in price because our old machine ship refused to do anymore Titaniums at that price we got the last time. Also costs for Titanium went through the roof. That's just the way it is and we can't change it. If you like light weight, we think with the Aluminum version we have a more affordable alternative available (tests pending).

Also we might add more features in the next couple of weeks...

For more information visit www.gatlight.com

Last edited:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: GatLight SIGN UP FOR ROUND 2

Just put my order in :rock:

I hope the aluminum version pans out, but I guess I can settle for stainless if not. :p

-DF

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

We think we can make the AL work - the only reason would be if the aircraft grade AL is too weak for the bars....

Any preferende on what anodize you would like to see...

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm a fan of function over form, so I'd prefer either a clear or a natural HAIII type. But that's me...

-DF

Lunarmodule

Enlightened

:wow::paypal: I just placed my order for 1 SS Pila, 1 Al 123

Preference on Al is clear anodize. I've waited for the chance to have one of these since just missing out on the first run... Always held this light's design in the highest regard for a fresh aesthetic with unique properties! Congrats on your success and thanks for making these available! Saving funds for a Ti Pila version....

Free

Enlightened

I just ordered two more, an Aluminum, and a Stainless, to go with my Titanium. :)

I think my preference would be for Clear Anodize on the Aluminum as well.

basara

Newly Enlightened

Paypal sent for one SS R123.
Thank you.

Free

Enlightened

What are the available serial numbers?

PrebKlok

Newly Enlightened

What are the weight difference of the different lights?

fleegs

Enlightened

Will any other forms of payment besides paypal be offered?

rob

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Payment (non paypal?)
Well you can actually pay with any regular credit card - in the paymentoptions just select that you don't have a paypal account (and you also dont have to open one up).

Weights
I know the weights of the last run (that one will be about the same) - don't know the AL or PILA Titanium
GatLight with batteries
168SS = 175.5gr
123SS = 130.0gr
123TI = 93.5gr
The AL version would be quite a bit lighter....

Serial Numbers
We probably will do V2-0001 - to whatever number of orders we get. The first couple ones reserved for Kyle and me.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the only reason to choose between the screws cosmetic, or are some functionally better than others?

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

The screws are purely cosmetic.... Of course the different materials have different characteristic in a screw - stainless is probably the best (don't know how brass compares / the black alloy is slightly inferior) - but nothing you would ever notice in any way in this light.

Fleegs: regarding paypal credit card. I have had problems myself using the credit card (instead of paypal). I looked up the issue on PayPal this is what I came up with:
---------
PayPal's process for accepting cards is more stringent and complicated. This process helps prevent the use of stolen and unauthorized cards. Since this process is very complex, it does occasionally affect valid cards. The denial of your credit card is not reflective of your credit worthiness. In cases where a valid card fails our system checks, we suggest that you try another credit card in the system.
pixel.gif
---------
When I logged in and paid through my PayPal account the same card seemed to work. Sorry about that....

Last edited:

Trev1960

Newly Enlightened

PayPal sent for 1 x SS 168, 1 x 168 Pila Battery and internation shipping.

Thank You