• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SF M6-R order information and updates - Part 2

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a continuation of the SF M6-R order information and updates part 1 thread. The link in the previous sentence takes you right to the first post, which has the list of people who still haven't received their orders and what they ordered and if they have payed yet. So please refer to that post and thread, as I will be updating it, just as before.

Please note that if you need prices and payment instrucitons, please refer to the The signup thread. Feel free to send me a check or paypal payment anytime you want, although you do not need to do this until I contact you to tell you that your order will be ready shortly.

Thanks everyone, and at present, my more or less worthless (going by past track record) estimate is that I will have sent out all orders by the end of January or the beginning of February. FWIW.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightraven's order went out today, and I will be sending out stuartyr and PaulW's orders this week, probably one before Friday, and the other before Saturday.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received the pack. I'm glad it's charged cause I have to get to work in a few minutes. I'll give it some field time, then report back.

Thanks, Jim.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightraven (and everyone else),

Packs are indeed charged and broken in, but they probably won't have a FULL charge when you get them. In fact, some may even be as low as a half charge. If I had more time and if I were ahead of schedule, I would make sure to charge each pack right before shipping the order, but as it is, I figure that is best done by each person. You can indeed plug and play, though. When you get your order, you can try out your pack right away. But don't be surprised when it doesn't run for the full 19 minutes.

I will be mailing out stuartyr's order presently.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
naromtap,

That's more or less correct, but since we're working everything in parallel, we will try to co-ordinate stuff. In other words, there's some wiggle room.

PaulW,

Your order will go out today via USPS priority mail. Sorry for the delay. I've been busy at work, with USL stuff, with TL consulting stuff, and on top of all that, I twinged my back on Friday. Fortunately, it wasn't at all serious, but I did take it easy for a couple days. Please note that your packs will arrive FULLY charged. I gave them a charge last night just before I went to bed, so when you get them, just plug and play! Actually, as I mentioned, anyone who gets his or her M6-R order can just plug and play, but shouldn't necessarily expect the full 19+ minute runtime.

Four more packs are in process right now, and I will continue to work on them, but I will also be trying to get a dozen or so USL packs out to Bill, and I think I will test them again to see if the end-to-end soldering affected them or not. i.e. I will do the break in charging and cycling again, even though it was done on the individual cells. Actually, that would be a requirement no matter what, at least the trickle charge.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
js said:
Your order will go out today via USPS priority mail. Sorry for the delay. . . . when you get them, just plug and play!

. . . Four more packs are in process right now, and I will continue to work on them . . .
Jim,

I understand the delay. I'm amazed at your persistence and the high standard you place on your work. I know I'm going to appreciate the "play" part of "plug and play." Thanks for your perseverence at this busy time of year.

Paul

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Paul! I'm really looking forward to your impressions of the M6-R packs. As for my persistence, well, I keep telling myself that I will get to the end if I keep going. And I'm looking forward to a nice long break from filling tons of modding orders. I'll still be playing, doing R&D, and hanging out on CPF, of course, but it will be so lovely not to feel the constant pressure over my head. But for now, head down, focus on enjoying the work I do and not think too much on how much is left to do. :thinking:

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim,

Well, the packs and charger and cables all arrived today -- just a few minutes ago. I carefully opened the box (very securely packed) and viewed all the goodies.

How small everything looks. This surprises me every time I get a light or accessory. The hi res pix make things look so big.

I'm not going to play with the pack until I fully read all the instructions inside and make sure that I understand all the nuances of the charger, so it'll probably be a while until I do any real testing of the system. And I know you'd like me to see if I can find any problems. I think that won't be an easy job. Nonetheless, I had to check in here now to say how beautiful everything looks. Just turning the pack over and over in my hands is pleasurable.

Dang it! My son brought me a new set of DVDs. I had planned on spending the entire evening with them and some brownies. -- don't feel like doing that now. :D

Paul

E D I T . . . I just reread one of your posts that says my packs are ready to plug and play. Maybe I won't wait to read everything. What harm could just a little test cause. Hmmm.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
PaulW,

Glad you got the packs! Excellent. Just remember, they are full so don't give them a charge until after you use them. The Hitec isn't good with trying to charge full packs. Not at all.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Jim. I generally read your posts carefully. So I have followed your previous suggestions.

Well, I didn't do any lab-type tests with the M6-R. I had intended to, but others already have. Besides, I have been thoroughly satisfied (yea, delighted) with its performance that I just wanted to use it, use it, use it. When my son came to visit again, it was late at night with no moon. We gave the M6 with its new M6-R pack quite a workout.

I now no longer use the LOLA. I had used it before because the HOLA on CR123s just didn't do well. The HOLA was only a little brighter than the LOLA, and the brightness faded quickly. Coupled with the cost of primary cells, the HOLA seemed out of the question. But that's all behind me now. HOLA all the way for me.

I have found that I like the performance of my Maha 777 charger more than the Hitec. It works very well with the M6-R. I tried it using the lithium setting and found that the current was less, so I'll use that setting when I have the extra time required.

I'll keep the Hitec for trips in the car because the Maha is not functional with the 12-14 volt input my car gives it. The Hitec will be a component in a carry-case that I'm planning. The case will also hold the M6-Rs, M6, spare bulbs, and the original CR123 battery holder. I have already constructed a poor man's case using an old tape carrier and some foam I had lying around. It's not pretty, and it doesn't hold everything, but it was just the ticket for my Christmas trip to be with the family.

Thanks again Jim for making this marvelous pack available to us. Before you did, I didn't think such a thing could be done.

Paul

Last edited:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
PaulW said:
...Thanks again Jim for making this marvelous pack available to us. Before you did, I didn't think such a thing could be done. Paul
That's what everyone thought, including some very knowledgeable people. If cancer research was in the same advanced stage as the cutting edge work of some of our modders cancer would be a heartily disliked but no longer dreaded disease.

OK, that's a ridiculously exaggerated analogy but you get my drift.

Brightnorm

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,

I would be careful using the Lithium setting for charging NiMH cells like the M6-R pack.

Lithium settings generally use a constant voltage (vs. constant current for NiCad/NiMH settings).

That MIGHT mean that the peak detect does not work correctly if using the Lithium setting to charge NiMH cells. I am NOT familiar with the MAHA at all, but Jim's packs are to hard to come by to risk ruining one!!

If you use this method and setting be very, very careful!!

Bill

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Bill. Yeah, I've been monitoring the charge when I use the Li setting. I like the setting because the current level is lower and, of course, it drops as the charge proceeds. I believe that cycling a new pack at a lower rate is wise.

I've noticed that the charger still likes to put about 150 ma into the pack even after it has reached full capacity. That's much more than a trickle. Thus I cannot consider it a "smart charger" for this kind of application So I keep an eagle eye on it, setting a timer to be sure I don't forget to check progress regarding total cumulative mAh. Your warning is appropriate.

Paul

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,

You want to be careful using the Li-ion charge setting with NiMH packs. Most Li-ion chargers charge to 4.2 volts/cell, which means 12.6 volts for a "3 cell" Li-ion pack, which is what you should select if you have the choice, or is what will automatically be selected by the charger in the case of a 9 cell NiMH pack.

Now, it just so happens that 12.6 volts is very close to a good float charge setting for a 9 cell NiMH pack--which is neat!--but, the point is that it is providing a constant voltage instead of a constant current, which is what you really want for a NiMH pack. In some cases, the ending float-trickle current could be lower than with your chargers NiMH setting, but in other cases, it won't be. And in the worst case scenario, you can have a runaway situation, where the current increases, and damages your battery pack. LEDmodMan told me about this happening to him once. He was actually using a DC voltage supply to float charge his 5 cell 4AH 1/2D packs, and it was working great. Except for one time, when he came back to find a very hot battery pack and about an amp of current going though it.

So, anyway, all I'm trying to say is what you already know: be careful. If I were you, I'd just use the NiMH setting. If it's a peak charger and shuts off when the pack is full, it really is of no consequence what the ending charge current is.

OK. On another note, I am working on the M6-R packs again. I was off the job for a while due to holidays and a bad back and some other tasks in my way, but I am on the case again. I should be mailing off the next round of orders in a couple weeks.

stuartyr

Newly Enlightened
I am starting to fear that my M6-R, along with a fivemega mag, is languishing lost somewhere between the US and the UK :(

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
stuartyr,

That's just not right! I sent your stuff via USPS Global Express mail: 4-6 days, insured. Let me check my records. There might be a way to track it, and/or check it. I sent it three weeks ago, so it is WAY past due. I'll post back here in 6 or 7 hours.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim,

Thanks for the addendum to your advice. I appreciate your concern.

Glad to hear you're picking up the pack building again. Yeah, don't overdo the back. I once had a painful, long bout with my back. I know how miseraable that can be. My recovery was slow, but monotonically upward -- all has been well for 15 years. I wish you permanent success also.

Paul