LED Lantern Question

Spin

Enlightened
Other than the RR lantern, are there brighter led laterns available that have a similar runtime? I don't mind using C or D batteries.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sportsmans Guide has a 30 LED lantern that uses D batteries. I have the older 20 LED Model and it has served me very well in several power outages now. I ran it every night during the big Eastern outage several years ago when I was without power for 4 nights, or the better part of the 4th, and then again a few months ago when I was without power for 12 hours, from 6 PM, using the same set of batteries (I have spares but am curious ow long they will last).

They also have small lanterns they sell in multiples of 3 that use 4 AAs, both versions come with a nice hardcase.

http://shop2.sportsmansguide.com/search/search.asp?r=ad%2Fother&s=SEARCH&a=search&k=LED+lantern

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
How about the Burnton Glorb. A two-position switch lets you choose between
normal power or extra-bright, while the inverse conical reflector bathes your
campsite in bright white light. Folding tri-leg base and safe to use in a tent or
in your vehicle. Runs for 250 hours on 4 AA batteries.

The Glorb ? .................... :thinking:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of lanterns have a 2 position hi/lo switch. This one: http://www.eliteled.com/products/lanterns.htmlhas a knob for an infinite number of brightness levels. Besides the lantern itself, the seller eliteled has great customer service/support, i'm very pleased with them.

John

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that Dorcy plastic lantern a joke? I have a RR Lantern now, not that I need another, just curious about the Dorcy, since it also takes 4AA's.

smackylips

Newly Enlightened
Any experience with the Burnton Glorb out there? Reviews? What type of LED does it use? Thanks

Haz

Enlightened
smackylips said:
Any experience with the Burnton Glorb out there? Reviews? What type of LED does it use? Thanks

The Brunton Glorb uses 5mm led, and the shape of the light is similar to the Osram Golden Dragon. The Brunton Glorb is more dimmer and has longer runtime as it runs on 5mm led, whereas the Osram Golden Dragon uses a 1.2 watt led. If you are looking for brightness the Osram Golden Dragon is pretty good. However if you want an even brighter lantern, the River Rock is a good choice, however it's bigger than the Golden Dragon.

MoonRise

Enlightened
My local SportsAuthority has an unadvertised sale on a 4-D 12-LED lantern, normally $30, on sale for $9.99. For $10, it's OK. The beam is a bit blotchy and the dimmer switch has a limited dimming range.

Yes, I bought one. Yes, the wife rolled her eyes when she saw it. Haven't had a power outage yet to prove to her that we really did need it.