E-voting Dispute Hits North Carolina Courts

cy

Flashaholic
E-voting Dispute Hits North Carolina Courts

"E-voting has sparked criticism and controversy since it was first rolled out in the 2002 elections. Most of it has come from the technology community, pitting security experts against e-voting machine vendors like Diebold and Sequoia Systems.

North Carolina experienced one of the most serious malfunctions of e-voting systems in the 2004 presidential election when over 4,500 ballots were lost in a voting system provided by e-voting vendor UniLect Corp.

Last month, the EFF convinced a North Carolina judge to dismiss a lawsuit by Diebold, which is seeking to an exemption from the state's transparency laws. Diebold represented to the court that it would be "unable" to comply with the code escrow requirement of the statute."

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3569871

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are all kinds of strange voting laws in this country. The one that bothered me the most is a local one. I travel quite a bit, so I have tended to vote by absentee. I learned a few years ago that unless an election is disputed, the local county does not even open the absentee ballets, they just ASSUME that the distribution of votes is the same for absentee vs normal.

In other words, I wasted my time voting for 15 years, because they never even bothered to open the envelope and count it - not even once. Now, I go to the polls, where my vote is also wasted, given the choices, but at least they actually claim to count it.

I really wish we could just vote via internet from home. What is more dangerous to me -having my vote not counted (as usual) because of a security problem, or my credit card info stolen ?