SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

I never belong to a forum before the CPF and I must say I’ve always been very impressed with how well people treat each other here. I think the “oldtimers” did a great job setting the overall tone for the CPF. Of course a lot thanks goes to Sasha and the moderators as well.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Size15's
    There was a story about CPF Member No.1
    It was no assigned for a long time.

As for stomping away of the oldtimers:

Why didn't they tell me?!
    I can stomp!!
    I've seen those '15s, and compared to my 13s, they can indeed "stomp!" CPF is the closest thing to a home I have anymore.

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Flashaholic*

This coming Friday I'll have been hanging around here 5 years. -And I'm only member #121. I have quit and come back many times.

p.s. I think Craig Johnson/LedMuseum is member # 6 or 8 -or something like that.
    Doug

Your # shows 57 ???

Still no clues to who was # 1 or the founder.

What happened?????

Quote Originally Posted by Lips
    Your # shows 57 ???

Still no clues to who was # 1 or the founder.

What happened?????

Well, earlier in this same thread, someone stated that #1 was reserved for administrative purposes. If it's like my BB software, the name of that account is "administrator"...

JM-99

Party Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Quote Originally Posted by JonSidneyB
    When I look out on CPF,

I see a sea of people who have been out here less than a year. It is good to have those people but I only seem to see a few posters that go back further than that. We seem to be missing many active people from the first couple of years of CPF. Where did everyone go? I miss many of the oldtimers.

i lost my real account (from the year 2000/2001) in the arc vs. hds wars

artar.

Here's an old thread about user #1 and how CPF started: How Did This All Begin?

A bit more history: Happy 2nd CPF Anniversery Sasha

And more recent: DavidW, where are you?

Have fun catching up. Hope this helps.
    -LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator Roy's Avatar

Thinking Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Well....the elves have been busy! My membership number used to be 1555 but is apparently now 561! I seem to remember some house cleaning of unused membership numbers some time back.
    Last edited by Roy; 12-13-2005 at 10:44 AM. Reason: I can't type!
    Bright...Small...Long Runtime.......You can have any two but NOT all three!

how are you finding those numbers....I can't figure out how to find mine to see if it changed.
    Last edited by JonSidneyB; 12-13-2005 at 11:05 AM.
    The Creator of the protected RCR123

Quote Originally Posted by bjn70
    After people have been on a forum for awhile, somebody gets into an argument with somebody else, namecalling begins, everybody gets mad and stomps away in disgust, leaving the newbies wondering what just went on. I've seen it in every forum I've been on.
    Ah! That's what's so amazing about CPF! We've had a couple of those, but the community spirit, goodwill, and honesty among CPF members is stronger. (Plus we have "that place downstairs" to iron out those "little" differences ).

Yup, what JonSidneyB said. I tried the right-click thingy but I can't see my #.

I guess I'm an old timer. My join number was 641 before the purge. I'm lurking almost everyday and I've become much more selective in my light buying. I don't post much on any forums lately as I've become very ill from my treatmemt of HCV (Hepatitus C Virus). I'm on week 45 of 48 weeks of tx. My health should come back in a few months and then I can become more active on CPF.
    I still love this place and the people on it.

Edit. greenLED, your number shows as 4508. JSB, you are 178.
    Last edited by sunspot; 12-13-2005 at 11:40 AM.
    Dana

Ha...I am 178

Quote Originally Posted by Luff
    put your cursor over your username and right click ... don't move your cursor. Your member number appears in the browser's status bar ... you're still #7.

4508!! Pdfffff!! I thought I was much lower than that. Maybe, but I'm near the top on the post count! (which means I spend too much time here - back to work!! )

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED

4508!! Pdfffff!! I thought I was much lower than that. Maybe, but I'm near the top on the post count! (which means I spend too much time here - back to work!! )
    Never realized I was as low a number as I am - 142!

Flashaholic*

So many different types of light are available now whereas they have to be custom made in the past. I've settled down on my fav few "cheap but good" lights and tried really hard to be contended with what I have. :-)

Thanks Lunal Tic

Quote Originally Posted by Lunal_Tic

-LT

Hi, I guess it's time for me to check in as well, although not sure if anyone remembers me. I caught wind of CPF on BFC I believe. I was also an early fan of Brock's web site.

CPF doesn't quite capture my attention as much as it used to, but I'm still poking around the LED Forum pretty regularly. Is CPF IRC still around? I haven't tried that in ages too.

Btw, Jon, I was thinking about whether I should get the Fenix L1P. What do you think? Will it be an improvement on my TnC AA 350mA?

toodles from #15 (I think it was originally #12 but got bumped up during one of the upgrades??)
    Last edited by Skyline; 12-13-2005 at 07:24 PM.

Flashaholic*

Buttrock Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

I'm still here, one of the original invitees from Usenet rec.knives, where this CPF idea all started....

--dan
    There's more to a light than its output.

CPF Member 13...

Skyline,

CPF chat is alive and well.

I wish you oldtimers would post more often.

Hmmm,

We could have a CPF ghezers clup or oldtimers club.

Had to be a great story there! Reality is stranger than fiction sometimes.

Mystery - Drama - Intrigue

Founder leaving without any post notifications about himself leaving or formal procedure for transfering ownership and control of CPF. Kinda mysterious. His last few post give no clues to his leaving and his very last post was about an approaching Hurricane, then silence.

Where has the oldtimer DavidW(#5) gone off to. Anyone talked to David or heard how he is doing.

I guess the same kinds of things happen all over the world with typical businesses all the time. Gotta take care of business. Kuddos to the new Entrepreneur!

-LT

Phew... reading my post there now is quite embarassing, though I have not lost the enthusiasm and am still as much a newbie as I was back then

Where did all the oldtimers go?

They are forever bound to the universe of flashlights. Many of them are residing just above the stratosphere of torches where the good photons pass by. As these oldtimers locomote on their appointed ways, occasionally an unusual glimmer from below catches their attention.

They may give a nod or a word.

-----------

- Jeff

That's a nice thought, Jeff.
    Veni vidi velcro

*Flashaholic*

They have transcended. (If you're a SG1 fan.)

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

I wasn't going to post to this thread since I am not, by any definition, a CPF old-timer or veteran. My member number is like 4751 or something!

However, recently (past few months) I have noticed that I am not jumping into the fray quite as much, and will let most threads just pass by. So much of it is just a repeat! I bet there are two dozen threads asking what the life of a P60 lamp assembly is! And at least a dozen asking what the difference bewteen xenon and halogen is, and so on. Lots and lots of the same discussions and arguments, and a person can just get tired of it. So the torch gets passed to a new generation of uppity and vocal CPFers.

But I suspect that a LOT of the "old timers" are still around, checking in on a regular basis. A month ago I was doing some hard-core searching of CPF--and I mean real searching! Not just relying on the search function to do it all for you. I was going back to the pages in the forums when the first A2's were available and reading all the info on the A2--manually. And I was pleasantly surprised to see green dots next to a lot of names. Brock was online, pk was on line (although maybe he's not an old-timer?), dano was on-line, and so on.

The old timers are largely here I bet, like the collective unconsious wisdom, which will come to the fore when needed.

I can certainly empathize with a desire to back away from lots of active posting, and ease into more of a low-key role. I really hope to be able to dig myself out from underneath all of this modding work and just relax and hang out on CPF sometime in the next several months. (fingers crossed).

Quote Originally Posted by tvodrd
    They have transcended. (If you're a SG1 fan.)

Larry
    Indeed. {Spoken like Teal'c}

Quote Originally Posted by js
    However, recently (past few months) I have noticed that I am not jumping into the fray quite as much, and will let most threads just pass by. So much of it is just a repeat! I bet there are two dozen threads asking what the life of a P60 lamp assembly is! And at least a dozen asking what the difference bewteen xenon and halogen is, and so on. Lots and lots of the same discussions and arguments, and a person can just get tired of it. So the torch gets passed to a new generation of uppity and vocal CPFers.
    It certainly feels that way. I'm trying to do more of my own stuff nowdays, but I just can't ignore the repeat questions (especially when the search function is dead). I've done the "manual search", and it's fun, but...

I guess I qualify as one of the "Old Timers"... I was introduced to LEDs for illumination by CPF and originally started my site to show off some of my very simple mods... Then I started doing reviews... The rest is history.

I'm spending so much time just working on my site I generally don't have time to keep up with everything (anything?) going on at CPF except in the Reviews forum where I moderate. Heck, I didn't even know there was a CPF edition PeakLED light until I received one in the mail today!!! Yikes!
    Archive of the Original FlashlightReviews.com ::::: The default position on any claim is disbelief until credible evidence is presented.

Flashaholic*

I started lurking in Jul/Aug 02 and joined in Sep 02... am I an oldtimer? My original number was 2420 so I suppose not. Arc AAA/LS series, Surefire L1 and the new Luxeon mods... a few months passed and the Luxeon sandwiches for minimags hit the scene. My original BB500 sandwiched minimag was the hook and BB400 Q3L and BB500 R2H lights followed.

I would say that the Luxeon LED is what drove CPF in the early days, the latest bins, electronics and optics were big news as the technology matured. It is amusing that the highest obtainable LuxeonI bin is still R after over two-and-a-half years! The rare early 2003 LuxeonV X bin is still rare allowing the manufactuers to intergrate them into flashlights. Luxeon progress paused for a few years and it slowed the pace of modding advancement.

Could it be that the wild west fun of the early Luxeon days is what drew the "old timers"? One way to find out is the upcoming K2 and the buzz it will bring. After a 3 year stall in Luxeon advancement, the upcoming K2 should rope some of the old timers back into the fold.

For 2006, I will be concentrating on the Mods section to see how the K2 plays out... time for some 3 or 4 K2 lithium-ion powered Mags to roll out.

40 month CPF geezer!
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.