SunwayLED
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Hmmmm,
    My CPF number changed from 2420 to 916 ...
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

Flashaholic*

Member #230 checking in. I was probably always a lurker what with only 638 posts in over 4 yrs. Every now I check in, I got sucked back in this year with the Fenix and now the StenLight. The Fenix is really good. It blows away the original ARC LS, which I owned for a very brief period of time. It also led me to sell my Lambda Illuminator, one of ther very first LS Mods available to purchase through CPF. Whatever happend to Lambda, Is he still modding? Anybody remember that Alaskan guy who was making direct drive mods in late 2001 who got so pissed off at CPF that he deleted every single one of his posts? What was his user name?

Back when I joined about the only white LED lights were photons and Direct drives from CC Crane and a general rule of thumb was that they would cost about $10 per installed 5mm LED. Long plastic suckers that would set you back $80 for 8LED running on 3AAs.
    Nowdays I don't even know what a K2 LED is. Haven't bothered looking it up. Maybe I'll check back in a couple months to see if there are any K2 light in production. I'm still waiting for a single AA headlamp to come out :P

A couple things that drive me away are:
    1) The obsesion of the vocal minority posters with more power and thow and damn the runtime. I was always more interested in the practical lights.
    2) The white wall hunters - enough said
    3) Every time some newby asked for the best pocket, camping, hiking, etc light 9 out of 10 responders would say how the best light was a custom unobtanium pocket rocket that cost $270.

It was exciting back in the early days wasn't it, back when you could actually own every single decent LED light on the market. Now the market is just flooded and most lights aren't worth the trouble to even read the review.

PS I blame Peter G and the ARC AAA and the LS development for really getting me into the Forums. I read every Arc post back in those days. I still use an Arc AAA practically everyday, and really don't think its been topped for pure functionality. I think I got here from Brocks Site as well.
    Last edited by cave dave; 12-24-2005 at 11:40 PM.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

I guess I'm an old timer here. Joined in Sep. of 2000, member #27. Not a massive poster though, mostly 'cause my knowledge is not nearly as broad or as deep as many here.

I once had #6xx and now got upgraded to #2xx - seems some housekeeping was doen when switching to the new BBS software.

I found CPF in summer of 2001 when I had multiple MiniMag bulbs blow out when doing some hobby level cave crawling in south france - my search for explanations found Craigs and Brocks site and then led to CCF - only to register a while later - then on to buy one of the first run ARC kits and built my first MiniMag Luxeon LED light using the basic ZLT+ driver design put together by Rene from Switzerland for me who is one other long lost early member.

For me the reason for my just sporadic visits in the last year or so are a) family b) job c) some CPF specific reasons partly mentioned in this thread already.

Its still great though and as time permits I drop in (or out)

Thx

Klaus

Flashaholic*

Harrumph.
    See signature..
    No matter where you go, there you are.

Silver Moderator

I came to CPF after reading many reviews on Craig's site (LED Museum).

Upon my arrival at CPF, I was warmly welcomed by Darell and Ryan (Saaby). Thank you for your warm welcome and I believe you set a standard concerning behavior and attitude. I have tried to conduct myself accordingly.

I came in search of better IR illumination... and ended up testing batteries - go figure...

When I grow up, I hope to aspire to being an old geezer, but for now, I am simply a teste...

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Graham!!!!!

Where did all the old timers go? Well one just checked in!

I don't consider myself an oldtimer; just old and tired.

I used to make reference to groundhogs day (the Bill Murry movie) and the repetitive nature of the forum and how one is willing to type the same information only so many times.........

I was introduced to CPF by a couple members who prodded me into joining. CPF was my first and only foray into an online community and it felt real akward placing my first post. Thanks or blame to guys like Graham and Darell, I was welcomed to this group of goofballs and in the early days, I was wiping my keyboard off after spraying it with coffee through my nose quite often!

I saw JS's post on searching on the A2. I remember meeting PK for the first time and not long after, he let me mess around with a A2 well before they finally came out. I wrote a review that took a fair amount of key strokes and time and I doubt JS even found it!

"Been there, Done that; let the Newbie speak out and carry the baton forward". --- If this makes sense then I think this explains some of the absense in current posts by older or long time members.

CPF has grown considerably since I have been around and the size and volume of information is staggering!! The SSL industry is still an infant and technology will continue to bring new and better components to those of us interested in their use and applications.

CPF has grown to the extent that simple modding in the garage with hand tools has been overshadowed by small custom production runs of homebrewed ideas. The little town of CPF has become a big city with traffic congestion, billboards, heavy commerce and politics driven by ego and profit. Time marches on and the clock will not turn back. A footnote in my personal history on CPF is the fact that for quite a while, I was showing mods but not interested in selling them or making stuff to sell to others. My first sale was a part I had modded and to a certain, newbie at the time, fellow in Hawaii; proceeds to a benefit for CPF funding. There has been a lot of water as well as debris under the bridge since then!

CPF has a firm foundation and incredible resources within. Tomorrow's CPF will have the appearance and look that the painters and builders active today choose to create and construct as the "latest" layer.

Rest assured, this thread like so many others will repeat itself but with a new vocal cast and a scattering of young as well as old members who choose to participate. In the good "old days" this thread would get hijacked late in the evening by Darrel and Graham and TexWest and take off on some spontaneous tangent! In the AM, one could check in and see where the night shift took the threads!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Wink2 Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Hi Graham! Long time no see...
    BART

Can I be considered an oldtimer based on my join date, not my "prolific" posting? (I'm a lurker, not a poster.) It is solely because of CPF that my flashlight-related purchases have equalled, if not exceeded, my knife and other gadget purchases combined. With CPF, there will never be a dark place in this world, well, at least not for long.
    Last edited by grnamin; 12-25-2005 at 09:42 PM.
    -Greg

Well,

I only joined in 2003 so that doesn't make me an old timer. However, 4,000 some-odd posts suggests I might have been in the thick of things for a while. But like many of the folks here have already posted, interest in the bright seems to come in cycles. For me, with grad school and family, I found those cycles taking me ever further away from lights.

As for the other reason, I did an awful lot of fun work with incandescents in my time here. And as poor Jim Sexton has heard from me many a time, when one can look back on events of nigh a year ago with wistful nostalgia, maybe it's time to move on. I fulfilled dreams and made friendships here...and maybe that's good enough.

Wilkey

*Flashaholic*

Wilkey, I'm still going strong. (CPF is what I have left of a family, afterall.) I wish I had the opportunity to meet you in person at the last two milkeyspit get-togethers I was lucky enough to to attend! You pioneered some good stuff here! I understand we all move on eventually.

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Quote Originally Posted by tvodrd
    Wilkey, I'm still going strong. (CPF is what I have left of a family, afterall.) I wish I had the opportunity to meet you in person at the last two milkeyspit get-togethers I was lucky enough to to attend! You pioneered some good stuff here! I understand we all move on eventually.

Larry
    Hi Larry,

I share your sentiments. I just don't check in here much anymore. But if someone makes a note of contacting me for the next one, I'll bring all my "legacy lights." Maybe we can even get Jim Sexton to drive on down.

Sometimes it feels pretty darn strange rummaging through the old parts bins.

Wilkey

Not really an oldtimer (2874 being my member number if I remember correctly). Haven't been hugely active of late. Mainly due to being very busy with work, and my main enthusiasm at the moment being on the historic lighting and lamp collecting (it shifts from that to flashlight collecting and back again periodically). Plus I'm in the process of adding a lot of my collection to my site - and that all takes time!

Still here, just quiet a lot of the time.

Flashaholic*

I would think I'm a "mid" timer. Same old stuff, life got busy (new born). I don't have the time to read all the post like I used too. When I check in, I just read a few topics.
    Yc

Flashaholic*

Hiya everyone. Yeah, I'm still around, poking my nose in now and then.

Pretty busy these days though - new family addition, for starters..

Party Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    Pretty busy these days though - new family addition, for starters..
    BART

Flashaholic

Hi there from 252,

I joined in September '01 but was never a very prolific poster. Like Graham (Hi Graham!) things upset me a little some time ago and I lost (most of my) interest.

Bad memories include (the now departed) Davidw telling us all to, eh, go away. I was also very sad at the treatment handed out to Peter when ARC started going under - I thought the CPF was bigger than that.

But I also remember the good times. Using the search function to check my history I came across these 2 threads that I started:

My first serious mod (includes changing an LED light into a surf board):
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6210

And the shock exposure that Darell and Saaby were the same person !!!
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14242

Maybe things were less serious then. And Graham, I see that you contributed to both of these threads - although the links to your most famous G-clamp always-on facility are broken :-(

Yes, I also find I don't have the time for such threads anymore. No 3 due anyday now ...

All the best for the future.
    Alan
    Dublin, Ireland

Flashaholic*

Thank you, Bart.

Ahh, the G-Clamp. Yes, brings back memories. When men were men and mods were, um, wierd.
    Just went back and fixed the links, for the sake of, well, no good reason really..

For the sake of the young 'uns, here are the examples of the application of high technology we used to facilitate an always-on feature in the original Freelight:

Hmm, looks like Darell broke his image links too. Of course, his Freelight mod casts mine into shadow..

The sleek, aerodynamic version:

The heavy duty version:
    Last edited by Graham; 12-27-2005 at 05:55 PM.

Now we're cooking!!! This was back when we took this art serious!! And yes, sheep were afraid!

Graham,
    Your pics reminded me of my attempt at efficient and practical tactical pocket power:

Blind 'em with your choice of a NewBeam or ArcAAA and then follow up with the "punch"!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

*Flashaholic*

Sheep Lie!

I don't consider myself an old timer. I got to meet DavidW at the SHOT Show before last. I find it difficult to believe the poster above me only predates me by seven months! We are all lucky for the progress in personal illumination tools that has ocurred in the last three years! May it continue! (The speed bumps do make for some entertainment!)

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Flashaholic*

Ah yes, Don has come up with some truly innovative designs. Many of his early ideas were the subject of much discussion, not to mention excuses for Darell to make silly posts. Actually, I think Darell made the silly posts regardless..

In fact, one of Don's double-ended jobbies motivated me to come up with this, after literally seconds of painstaking research and development:

Behold, the 4AA dual colour Arc LS:

Who needs fancy metal lathes and milling stuff when you have double sided tape and no pride?

*Flashaholic*

Graham. Darell hasn't changed, and Don suggested I mod my Beast. I oblighed with some duct tape and a bunch of small lights taped around the bezel. (pic's long gone. ) I sincerely wish I had found the place earlier!

Larry

Damn Graham! Good to see you back here!!!

Larry, the problem is when the sheep refuse to lie!

Flashaholic*

Baaaaah.

Good to see you too Don. I must say I've missed a lot of the sillyness which went on around here..

Larry - duct tape is what modding is all about, I reckon. All this fancy stuff with machined bodies and custom circuit boards and reflectors is over-rated, I say.

In fact, that pic of my 2-headed Arc LS is version 2. Version 1 utilised that other staple item of the true modder and DIYer, black electrical tape.
    Last edited by Graham; 12-27-2005 at 11:07 PM.

Who are u calling oldtimers, I would say earlier flashaholics LOL.

I would like to thank CPF for being such a nice place to hang out, even if I dont post much, I love to lurk around and see what is happening.

I remember being a number less than 50 on the old forum.

Glad to have found this place almost 5 years ago.

AlexGT

Hey guys ... nice to see ya all post again ... even if it's only for a little "good old days melancholia"

And nope, Darell hasn't really changed. There once was hope, but it long vanished with the winds ...

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

I guess as Member # 133, I am probably one of the older timers. I concur with most of what has already been said in the previous posts. I also found CPF through Brock's site. I remember my first real LED - one of the handmade Eternalights - and it blew me away. I tried getting one of HDS's headlights but they were always out of stock - a sign of things to come for desirable lights. At one time, my wife threatened bodily harm since I was spending so much time on the board. This was when Peter was just about to release the LS and I had to have one. I fondly remember Saaby, Telephony, Darrel, Peter G. and others as we bantered back and forth about nothing in particular. I eagerly posted my adventures to far off corners of the world and how my lights performed.

But now this family's growing pains have made many move on. After the ARC-HDS-Peak, Mr. Bulk-TW soap operas, it was quite evident that the gentel nature of the past has matured into something that is now new to me. In fact, whenever I get the chance to log on to the board, I feel as if I am the newbie. Not only have the names changed, but the topics are new, the lights are new, and the discussions are more serious in nature.

Perhaps it is me that has changed.

I still enjoy the time I spend on CPF but it is now entertainment whereas in the past, it was much more than that.

Regards.
    Be Mindful of the Moment

Flashaholic*

Kiessling expressed my sentiments, too. Many of the old timers were still around when I joined and I miss the regulars who no longer appear - thanks for giving us one more post.

The CPF has changed as rapidly as the technology that spawned it.
    I'm absolutely certain that I need another flashlight.

Flashaholic*

Its been good to see many of the names here, I've enjoyed and learned from many of the posts by Graham, Wylie, Shankus and many others. Thanks to you all, don't be a stranger.

Flashaholic*

I thought people would be taking about how a fish had got the best of me by now.
    Still kicking here!
    Keepin it real Bright,
    Wylie
    "I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work." Benjamin Franklin" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif[/img]
    But do you know what he may have found with those 10,000 ways that didn't work?

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast