Olympia Products
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Default Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

The white bass, stripers and hybrids are running. It's hard to stay at work today.
    The oldtimers are forever bound to the universe of flashlights. They reside just above the torch lit stratosphere where the good photons pass by. As these oldtimers locomote on their appointed ways, occasionally an unusual glimmer from below catches their attention.

They may give a nod or a word.

Flashaholic

Mad71 Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Quote Originally Posted by JonSidneyB
    When I look out on CPF,

I see a sea of people who have been out here less than a year. It is good to have those people but I only seem to see a few posters that go back further than that. We seem to be missing many active people from the first couple of years of CPF. Where did everyone go? I miss many of the oldtimers.

who ya callin old? i ought'a ..i ought'a..

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    *** What the hell did I do now??? ***

Flashaholic*

Almost warm enough here to break another fishing rod with the sturgeon. I got a new R and D model I'll be breaking in this year. You should see this thing, one rod builder that seen the blank in North Carolina said it was Magic.
    Screem drags and no snags!
    "I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work." Benjamin Franklin" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif[/img]
    But do you know what he may have found with those 10,000 ways that didn't work?

Cool Daddy Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Icebreak
    The white bass, stripers and hybrids are running. It's hard to stay at work today.
    Hey! I just caught one of them hybrids last week! I had no idea they were running this time of year.

- Darell, the EVnut
    Email me: darelldd -at- gmail - I don't do PM.
    Beer is finally cheaper than gas. Drink, don't drive.

We need the oldtimers back more than ever right now.
    The Creator of the protected RCR123

Cool Daddy Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    Hmm, looks like Darell broke his image links too. Of course, his Freelight mod casts mine into shadow..
    So this week, this [i]old timer[/] who barely gets on any more, has read like one thread. This one. And look, I'm featured! And Graham's back!

Just for you, I stayed up late to dig up that picture from long, long ago.
    - Darell, the EVnut

Cool Daddy Administrator

And while I was in the Graham archives, I found these gems!

- Darell, the EVnut

Suhweeet hybrid, Darell. Articificial lure or live bait?
    The oldtimers are forever bound to the universe of flashlights. They reside just above the torch lit stratosphere where the good photons pass by. As these oldtimers locomote on their appointed ways, occasionally an unusual glimmer from below catches their attention.

Banned

Total noob here though my registration date is deceiving.

I only started becoming a 'regular' poster here about 6 months ago or so after the forum software upgrade.

I hated the old forum software. Had other interests at the time as well which consumed me much more. Electronics has been a consuming interest as of late.

Been into computers and things of that nature for about 8 years now, but never really got much deeper into actual electrical devices until recently.
    Last edited by InfidelCastro; 03-10-2006 at 01:15 AM.

Cool Daddy Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Icebreak
    Suhweeet hybrid, Darell. Articificial lure or live bait?
    * Credit *

Draws them like flies to poop.
    - Darell, the EVnut

to all the "old timers", I cant imagine what this place would be like without your pathfinding!

Ryan

Flashaholic*

Good to hear from the old timers, back when duct tape was a mod

As a "mid-timer" in CPF speak, it is fun to look back when anything with a Luxeon was hot... Arc AAA's ruled the world and McGizmo started playing around with a lathe. Harrassed Wayne into building sandwiches and the blinding feeling when the minimag was first fired up.

Years later, I still like the modded lights and customs. MillerMods, Andrew Wynn and DSpeck are getting my money this year. Still don't have a Surefire but behold the power of a modded mag! My lighting needs have almost reached saturation but there is always a mod out there to make it a little brighter, a little longer runtime and a little more interesting.

In ten years, my friends will look at my original minimag mod and laugh... then I can sip my mint julep, lean back in my rocker for one of those "back in the day" stories of a 5D Mag punching the amps to a weird creation called the Cyan luxeonV and minimags that did not heat up tungsten.
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

Didn't the first sandwiches have fruit names green apple or somethin' or was it just different colors for different drive levels.I remember supplying my coworkers with sandwiches when there was only the arc ls out there.
    Chris

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph
    Didn't the first sandwiches have fruit names green apple or somethin' or was it just different colors for different drive levels.I remember supplying my coworkers with sandwiches when there was only the arc ls out there.
    Christoph,
    Yes, I recall they were named yellow (400mA), green (500mA) and violet (666mA) or something like that. I was always partial to the green 500mA BBs... The first time I cranked up a BB500 minimag... I knew this new hobby would cost me a lot of money before I was done!
    Just checked the sandwich shoppe thread and those posts go back to August 2002! Wonder what happened to Tater Rocket?
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

Flashaholic*

Christoph,
    Been reading the Sandwich Shoppe thread about everything you wanted to know about Madmax, Badboy etc and came about my first post concerning my BB500 minimag! Here is a flashback from the past!

Hey Wayne,
    I am back from my travels and my BB500 Mag with Kroll switch has blinded quite a few folks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Some guy asked me were to get one (he hunts and loves the BB500) I told him they are not exactly production and how many does he need. He told me he wanted a thousand of them .... I told him who you were and about CPF so.... hmmmmm, why would a hunter want a thousand of them? He offered me some serious $$$ for the BB500 but, no dice! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Gotta love your first LS, sorta like your first love (after 5-10 minutes it is warm like your first love) Now for a Wizard with a 5W SE....

That was posted in December, 2002... and luxeons still get warm like your first love.

OK, my last old thread resurrection. It is just great to see the names of who was around oh so long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    OK, my last old thread resurrection. It is just great to see the names of who was around oh so long ago.

Now that is some serious thread necromancy! Skimming through this did bring back a few memories. This place has grown quite a bit. From a few hobbyist geeks, to kinda even being almost mainstream. I've seen reviews posted here referenced in brocures and ads.

Flashaholic*

Member #669 here. I'd say that makes me an old timer. Kind of a second wave old timer. There's at least 11K members now.
    Last edited by fasteddie; 08-26-2009 at 05:45 AM.
    ::I don't always carry a flashlight, but when I do, I prefer Tri-V. Stay illuminated my friends::

I was member #33...KenB. Later I upgraded myself to the way cool Badbeams. I also found this place through Brock`s site...THANKS BROCK

I lose interest every so often...come back again...cycle. I learned to type here. Along with acheiving my now perfect spelling.

Nothing much to add...still a fun place. Still broke.

Regarding DavidW...last I knew he was in Tampa Florida working as a salesman at a Ford dealership on Dale Mabry hwy.

I would love to remenise but need to go wash my face...take my wrinkle cream off

Flashaholic*

...reminisce.

#14 former.

yep, after all these years, they now make a flashlight prettty much the way I always wanted it.

thanks Brock.

Another blast from the past! LOL! This was an enjoyable read. I had forgotten that I posted to this thread.

I also noticed along the way this little bit from the man himself:

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    . . .

I saw JS's post on searching on the A2. I remember meeting PK for the first time and not long after, he let me mess around with a A2 well before they finally came out. I wrote a review that took a fair amount of key strokes and time and I doubt JS even found it!

. . .
    In point of fact I did find Don's wonderful thread, I just hadn't finished with my A2 review at this point, I don't think.

But, the thing is that because the forum has gone through some migrations and transformations, all the old threads from the "old timers" are inaccessible from the search function. Or at least that used to be the case. Hence the reason Don doubted I would find his thread.

So, in a practical vein, let me mention that for those new members who want to pan for gold in the waters of the past, one of the best ways to do it is to search for threads started by, or posted to by, an old timer. Fire up the advanced search, set the poster to McGizmo, narrow down the forum, select the radial button that gives your results as threads, and let 'er rip. You will get an amazing list of threads! This is how I started my research for my A2 review. This exact way. I figured that if Don didn't post to an A2 thread back then, I didn't much care about it for that first iteration. And that was a good assumption. So many great threads in a manageable number of search results pages.

Later I went through and went back in time to really manually search the forums for the times when the A2 was new and exciting and controversial.

There are a lot of gold nuggets out there in that river of the past. So many. Searching on a poster like "McGizmo" or "Ginseng" or "Doug S" and etc. is the very best way I know how to pan for that gold. And after that, painfully, manually searching, forum page after forum page, back in time. It's an amazing thing to do if you have the time and patience for it.
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

Hi oldtimers

I am still here and there, and it's a pleasure to read about oldtimers

How many oldtimers will post now in this thread, let me see

Last edited by Frenchyled; 08-26-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Grinser2 Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

#911 originally, and obviously still here.
    BART

I've been here almost 6.5 years; does that qualify as an old-timer?

The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaserburn View Post

Well I think so!

I remember buying my first B/S/T light from you, Phaserburn! A TigerLight Gold FBOP. Little did I know where THAT would lead!

Thank you, ye Oldye Tymer you!
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    There are a lot of gold nuggets out there in that river of the past. So many. Searching on a poster like "McGizmo" or "Ginseng" or "Doug S" and etc. is the very best way I know how to pan for that gold. And after that, painfully, manually searching, forum page after forum page, back in time. It's an amazing thing to do if you have the time and patience for it.
    I've done that several times. On the last forum migration (yes, there was one a couple of years back), we lost the indexing for those old threads, so browsing each page of the archives is the only way to find those gold nuggets (assuming you know what you're looking for and the thread title is informative enough. It's actually kinda fun to do. :geek:

Does 5 yrs on CPF qualify me as an old-timer? Hope not!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaserburn View Post

You bet! Pull up your wheelchair. Nurse! Get this man an IV drip...on me
    Last edited by Badbeams3; 08-26-2009 at 11:21 AM.

greenLED,

Indeed! Although, while the indexing might not work, thus meaning you can't search on title or post words, you can still search on poster username. That information is necessarily indexed, regardless. When a migration is done, that information MUST be preserved and passed on from one software package to the other. So, it's still viable. Hence my confusing talk of the search not working after a certain way back in time, and my suggestion to search on username!

Old timer checking in.
    I was away from the forum twice since I have been a member, first time for a year and the second time, for a few months.
    Some classic threads I remember always involved controversy. aka ARC, MrBulk etc
    good times.
    I feel the forum now has changed a lot, with a lot more commercial things, but on the flipside
    there are more modders out there and the modding level is now in the stratosphere.
    I remember a popular mod was just changing bulbs,
    now modders are creating entire new flashlights and releasing them in limited runs, <200 pieces. And the quality of work is up too,
    I remember articles discussing aluminum foil as fixits, now we are dissassembing the parts and engineering them to be better and last a long time.
    If you see some of the builds out there, they no doubt will last at least a decade's worth of use.
    KL-4+Vital Gear FB02
    Pr-t (TWOK) + DB700 + E2E
    Pr (WXOT) + BB700 + E20
    M3T + rcr 123's
    Will build for free!!