Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 3
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Default Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

I keep thinking I'm fairly new around here but my goodness, its been just about 5 years now and I enjoy it here today just as much as back when I joined.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

i would love to hear how much the old timers have invested into silly flashlights including batteries, accessories ,parts etc. maybe a good down payment on a house or at least enough to buy a brand new car
    Last edited by qip; 08-26-2009 at 08:16 PM.

CPF is one of the first forums I had joined. I joined (in a fit of disgust with eBay) as JoeCool, I think, which it was but it was early 2001. I think my reasoning was because I was sick of the lousy performance of my Mini-Mag and wanted a brighter, more consistent beam. Dat2zip's Sandwiches cured that eventually.

I was a lurker because I was heavily into restoring 80's video games and the like and was still spending way too much time on eBay buying and selling parts and such. I joined to look for info and contact a couple people. Later that year, I moved to another state and things were a little nutty for a couple years and my account got deleted in a consolidation.

In '03, I just started over since I couldn't get into my old account. I picked this user ID and it's been nuts ever since. IIRC, I re-joined because use of the Luxeon was getting a little more common and I wanted something different/new. The Luxeon was still being improved and developed, what seemed to be on the fly, and the LED lighting market was starting to get exciting. Before I knew it, I was hip-deep in it.

Call me "busy" now, I suppose. I'm on here and there, mostly lurking. Most days, I don't even have time for much other than work.

"I've got a mind like a steel trap, things wander in... and get mangled"
    --Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526
    "I've confused my intentions with my abilities"

*Flashaholic*

first few posts on cpf proper in sometime.... been visiting UG more.

amazing how much time I used to spend on modding lights vs now days almost none. burned out ...

Amazing how much Arc Flashlight parts I've still got laying around. enough to make up a few thousand Arc Flashlights

Flashaholic*

cy,
    It has been awhile. Just for fun I dug up my dat2zip BB400 Q4 light with a mighty Luxeon Q bin screaming at 416mA. The minimag has a Kroll tail clicky and a custom made bezel extension to hold a longer reflector. AR glass lens finishes it off and it still works great. That minimag served me well from 2002 to 2005 and the 35 lumens it generates are decent for basic things. Total cost for the light was around $85 but it is a classic and served me well.
    Once the Crees came out, my modding requirements fell off steeply. Still want an XR-G to mod a bike light I have but not in a hurry.
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

I did not consider myeslf an oldtimer when the OP started this thread,
    but have hanged around long enough to be a mid timer now.

Lurked for a few months before joining and remember very fondly
    of the friendly, intimate atmosphere of that time.

There were not as many lights as now, and interests were not as
    diversified.
    It was easy to recoginize most members. Off topic banter and fluff
    posts were enjoyable and even welcomed.

Still lurk daily and post what I can though!

cy, you posted feeling burnt out years ago but are still sticking around.
    I know where you are coming from, but it is good to see you posting
    Cheers!

Back in the old days things were a little different. You could get free shipping to anywhere in the world. SureFire sent all new members a brand new 6P within a week after joining. Everyone could spell Darell's name and we all did pretty much what he said so it worked out well. DavidW. was a little bit flirty. Sasha had a huge crush on me.

The board was much smaller and intimate. If you liked somebody's post you sent 'em a six pack of beer. If you acted up Empath would actually come to your house and give you a proper moderating for a good 20 to 30 minutes. And nobody fibbed about anything.
    The oldtimers are forever bound to the universe of flashlights. They reside just above the torch lit stratosphere where the good photons pass by. As these oldtimers locomote on their appointed ways, occasionally an unusual glimmer from below catches their attention.

They may give a nod or a word.

Flashaholic*

Well as I have posted either in this thread or some other, when I first joined, there were far more incandescent flashlight posts then LED. Back then before Surefire started enforcing MAP, you could get some (for Surefire) good deals and I bought a few E2's for about $55 and a couple E1s for about $40. A couple are still in use by family members, still in incandescent form. Texas Tactical Supply saw a lot of my business.
    I live in a van down by the river

Quote Originally Posted by Icebreak View Post
    Back in the old days things were a little different. You could get free shipping to anywhere in the world. SureFire sent all new members a brand new 6P within a week after joining. Everyone could spell Darell's name and we all did pretty much what he said so it worked out well. DavidW. was a little bit flirty. Sasha had a huge crush on me.

The board was much smaller and intimate. If you liked somebody's post you sent 'em a six pack of beer. If you acted up Empath would actually come to your house and give you a proper moderating for a good 20 to 30 minutes. And nobody fibbed about anything.
    We took it in turns to be Empath... Those were the days...

Quote Originally Posted by BentHeadTX View Post
    cy,
    It has been awhile. Just for fun I dug up my dat2zip BB400 Q4 light with a mighty Luxeon Q bin screaming at 416mA. The minimag has a Kroll tail clicky ...
    I still have one of those! I took the sammie out the other day thinking I could swap it out for a P4, but why would I do that? It works just great and there's a bit of history attached to it.

Quote Originally Posted by qip View Post
    i would love to hear how much the old timers have invested into silly flashlights including batteries, accessories ,parts etc. maybe a good down payment on a house or at least enough to buy a brand new car
    Actually, things could be done fairly cheap a few years back. We never heard of flashlights costing 4 digits.

The cost of CR123's have risen. I remember buying them back in 2004 for less than $1 each incl shipping from battery station for a pack of 50.

The LED drive current in those days were low, when the McLux line came out, they were using Luxeon bat wings and Luxeon 1s and Luxeon 3s, drive currents were 350mA. So a single CR123 lasted a long time. Now, we are in full X Amp territory, run times are way lower.

For example, McGizmos McLux light. You could pick up a turn key unit from the sandwich shop for under around $100 and build an identical unit to the one that was offered by Don.
    You cant pick up a turnkey unit these days and build your own Lunasol or PD.

As flashlights move on up in quality and materials (I am not complaining, I am enjoying the benefits) price is rising, but I am sure it will plateau.
    KL-4+Vital Gear FB02
    Pr-t (TWOK) + DB700 + E2E
    Pr (WXOT) + BB700 + E20
    M3T + rcr 123's
    Will build for free!!

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

Sasha had a huge crush on me.
    What do you mean "had"?

Flashaholic*

I guess I have to consider myself an old timer. I met DavidW and a bunch of other old timers at the CPF get together we had in Orlando, FL in Febuary of 2003. It was held there because the Shot Show was going on at the same time. I had been a member for about 9 months then, but had started lurking back in 2001. I had some pictures from the get together, but sadly, I can't find them now. Oh well, if that's the only thing I can't find now, I will be happy.
    Last edited by Starlight; 08-27-2009 at 08:21 PM.
    Endeavor to eschew obfuscation.

Ah, the old days:

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta1526 View Post
    Ah, the old days:

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, is that the black widow with Red LED
    and a golden dragon with 5W led?
    KL-4+Vital Gear FB02
    Pr (WXOT) + BB700 + E20
    M3T + rcr 123's
    Will build for free!!

Flashaholic*

Ah, the memories!

In regards to the cost of CR123 batteries, anyone remember the days when one of the best/better deals on batteries involved ordering the SureFire Hurricane?!? And some of the best prices on SureFire lights could be found at Arizona Gun Runners?
    Having a right and doing what's right is not always the same.

Man, Beretta, quit doing that!! Now I have McLux cravings all over again...

I joined a little after these were first made. By the time I built enough courage to decide I wanted to build one, the parts were no longer available. Anybody got a spare?

Quote Originally Posted by roguesw View Post
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane, is that the black widow with Red LED
    and a golden dragon with 5W led?
    The upper one is/was a spare from the Black Widow builds with a white Luxeon of some sort, and was one of three black HA McLux bodies I had. I had two of those heads, and a full light. I'm pretty sure Darell built it. I still have a black HA 2-cell McLux body/tail with a really sweet McLux PR on it. It sits in my locked SF Display where it's not accessible to "little" hands.

The gold one is #2 of 2, and I don't recall it actually having a name other than "the gold one with the engraved clip". It has a bead-blasted reflector and was one of Don's best "perfect flood" lights (Luxeon Low-Dome emitter, IIRC - certainly not a Lux V). It just lacked the intensity of the newer lights. The light is a combination of bead-blasted and bare Al coated with the almost unmistakable gold TiNitride and a Ti pocket clip with an oceanic scene that was laser-engraved into the clip and then lightly TiN coated. It's a true work of art. I miss having it, but it very rarely left its little Pelican case when I did.

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    Man, Beretta, quit doing that!! Now I have McLux cravings all over again...

I joined a little after these were first made. By the time I built enough courage to decide I wanted to build one, the parts were no longer available. Anybody got a spare?
    Sorry. The McLux and the Sandwich Shoppe were the two things that really catapulted my interest the most.

I've got the only (must verify tomorrow) 2-Cell Black HA McLux tail that currently has a black HA McLux PR head on it with some nutty-screamin' LuxV in it, as well as a spare black HA PR-T with a BB666/VYOT, and an un-built head just like the one from the Black Widow builds. I had meant to build that head as well as a couple/few more for about four years now, but just haven't taken the time. I wonder if my AA is even still good?

Last edited by Beretta1526; 08-27-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by roguesw View Post
    For example, McGizmos McLux light. You could pick up a turn key unit from the sandwich shop for under around $100 and build an identical unit to the one that was offered by Don.
    I remember those days like it was only last month. I don't know about turn key though, more like kits for $100 but you still had to provide your own Luxeon & driver. I believe TKs were $130-$140. Remember when we used to by Luxeon stars for $20? I still have a bunch left over.

Mclux bodies were $45-$49 & PR/PR-T heads were $40-$45 depending on which one you got. I remember the standard Mclux head kits at $49. I should know, I was the one buying them all. I still have every single one of them to this day along with a set of 1x123, 2x123, & 3x123 blackies that took me a while to find.

-Will-

Sorry, I have retired from flashlight modding & I do not make custom flashlights. Thank you for your understanding.

My Mod Archive

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta1526 View Post
    I've got the only (must verify tomorrow) 2-Cell Black HA McLux tail that currently has a black HA McLux PR head on it with some nutty-screamin' LuxV in it, as well as a spare black HA PR-T with a BB666/VYOT, and an un-built head just like the one from the Black Widow builds. I had meant to build that head as well as a couple/few more for about four years now, but just haven't taken the time. I wonder if my AA is even still good?

I've got a 2x123 blackie too.....

But I cheated. I sent Scott (TB) a 3x123 body & had it chopped. I'm in the same boat as you. I have still have 6-8 various PR & PR-T heads that are still virgins & unbuilt.
    -Will-

Sorry, I have retired from flashlight modding & I do not make custom flashlights. Thank you for your understanding.

My Mod Archive

Quote Originally Posted by geepondy View Post
    Well as I have posted either in this thread or some other, when I first joined, there were far more incandescent flashlight posts then LED.
    Hence my idea for St. Incands Day and giving out a few shirts for memories.

Quote Originally Posted by darkzero View Post
    I remember those days like it was only last month. I don't know about turn key though, more like kits for $100 but you still had to provide your own Luxeon & driver. I believe TKs were $130-$140. Remember when we used to by Luxeon stars for $20? I still have a bunch left over.

Mclux bodies were $45-$49 & PR/PR-T heads were $40-$45 depending on which one you got. I remember the standard Mclux head kits at $49. I should know, I was the one buying them all. I still have every single one of them to this day along with a set of 1x123, 2x123, & 3x123 blackies that took me a while to find.

Yes Will, I remember those days. Luxeon stars were all the rage, first with the batwings then the Lux III burst onto the scene where you could drive it at 700 mAh. The Sandwich shoppe were the only place where you could get everything from drivers to leds to bodys.
    I think the shoppe still have some McLux heads available.
    I built a 2x123 Mclux, it was my first build, and it is still going to this day. Its been given to a friend of my who still uses it to this day.

The mclux head didnt have much options, NX01 and NX05 optics, then Don.s reflector, and bead blasted vers. The reflectors really came into their own during the Aleph era.

I think the thread on McGizmos forum really sums it all, you can really see the evolution of flashlights in those threads.

Do you remember when color 5W were popular, I remember people building Cyan and royal blue. You dont see much of those colors being offered these days anymore.
    KL-4+Vital Gear FB02
    Pr (WXOT) + BB700 + E20
    M3T + rcr 123's
    Will build for free!!

Ah ... thanx for the memory flash and company, guys
    Those were the days.
    bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

One of my first real live contacts here was calling Peter Gransee and finding all about the amazingly innovative Arc LS. It had a Lux I (Q bin!) and be careful, it could get quite warm if left on face down. How things have changed and evolved! Occasional drama, too.
    Last edited by Phaserburn; 08-28-2009 at 06:17 AM.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

Thumbs up Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

A good trip down memory lane!! Thanks guys!

*Flashaholic*

yeooooo... a bunch of old timers dropping... this is the most I've posted for the last few years.

speaking of old luxeons... used to be an obsession trying to obtain the finest bins. still got a large bubble package full of formerly rare luxeons. got at least $1,500+ tied up in that bag ... overnight they dropped next to nothing. after that my enthusiasm for modding went way down...

here's one of my all time fav's.... regretted selling it many times

one of Don's early mods... L1 pr-t 917

Quote Originally Posted by cy View Post
    yeooooo... a bunch of old timers dropping... this is the most I've posted for the last few years.

speaking of old luxeons... used to be an obsession trying to obtain the finest bins. still got a large bubble package full of formerly rare luxeons. got at least $1,500+ tied up in that bag ... overnight they dropped next to nothing. after that my enthusiasm for modding went way down...
    I narrowly dodged that bullet (knock wood) by either building most all of mine out or selling/trading/giving them away. I still have some "screamers" left, but I'm sure you've got the cat's pajamas there.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Phaserburn View Post
    One of my first real live contacts here was calling Peter Gransee and finding all about the amazingly innovative Arc LS. It had a Lux I (Q bin!) and be careful, it could get quite warm if left on face down. How things have changed and evolved! Occasional drama, too.
    Gransee was the one that got me to join CPF. The Arc LS was one of my first addictions, back when the batwing emitters were the brightest LED's around. I spent countless hours and dollars buying lights and modding them, and destroying a bunch in the process. Man that was fun. Surefires, Arcs, none were safe from my soldering iron. LED's have matured to the point that only marginal gains can be had by modding. The market has changed and become so commoditized and somewhat boring. I find it hard to get excited when I see new lights these days.

Did you remember folks the nice auctions we played here ?
    Some lights in my collection are still here and remember me lots of fun

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast