Imalent
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Still here. Still playing with batteries........... and lights.

Tom
    Definitely our gain, Tom. Thanks for all the patient, tireless input.

Still check in every now and then in search of the perfect EDC

The perfect EDC is only that until the next one gets invented.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    The perfect EDC is only that until the next one gets invented.
    ^^

Well said!

the xp-g2 looks to have alot of promise

then the xp-r?
    ..xp-r2

ect.
    ect...

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    ^^

Well said!

the xp-g2 looks to have alot of promise

then the xp-r?
    ..xp-r2

ect.
    ect...

I'm digging the XM-L for overall beam pattern... and Nichia 219 for color rendition (though XM-L really does pretty nicely)... and XT-E has impressed me lately in my projects! Beautiful, beautiful beam and tint. Nothing wrong with the XP-G2 of course, plus some others I'd like to try...
    --Scott

Flashaholic*

I have made the following statement my byline and yes it is a play on word spelling. Time wounds all heels. I have been around here for a few moons. hope to be around for a few more.
    will work for peanuts

Coming up on my five year anniversary at the end of the month. CPF was still small enough you could read nearly all the posts if you wanted to. Got here when things really were getting interesting with LEDs. Quantum leaps were being made it seemed and modders were key to getting the latest and greatest. Now you have any number of vendors with the latest LED differentiated marginally by UI and ocassionally form factor. Now just a scanner for interesting items. Maybe four new lights a year vs. four per month. XP-G2 has piqued my interest and the Nichia 219. Good to see some of the old oldies still around.
    Too many lights! Stop me!

Buttrock How many CPF Elders are still left? (early 2000's)

Just wanted to see how many members from the early 2000's there are left here... It was much different back then, LED's? what the heck are those? HAHA. Anyways, if I remember correctly, CPF was started sometime in the year 2000, I was lurking for quite some time before joining in 2001. Back then there were no "digital" flashlights, incandescent lights ruled, heck I remember when Surefire released the E2 and revolutionized the "EDC" concept.

Awe the good ol' days.... growing up with CPF all these years I remember collecting different colors of Mag AA flashlights (OMG, I really did that? LOL). I still remember owning my very first Surefire, it was a 6P. All round, incandescent and the concept was considered "crazy" by my friends because the Duracell DL123a batteries it used were expensive and unconventional. I remember having ARC AAAs from HA models to UV ones before the whole Maglite "Incident". I remember buying a Surefire M6 from Arizona Gun Runners for $165 :-O

What do you remember doing in the early CPF days? What were you collecting, what was your passion, etc? How has that changed now?
    Hello?

There's already a thread about old-timers:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100953

Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyurl.com/8zu5t

I still keep checking for new lights; but otherwise, my activity here is quite limited. I have way too many lights. Maybe in 2 or 3 years I'll update to some new technology.

Still here. I've gotten back into the hobby more than last few months, for better or worse. Not much has gone on with the collection proper but I've been trying out a whole bunch of SFs that were over my price range when they were new way back when.
    Do something alone and it's weird, do it with others and it's a club.

Flashaholic*

I'll be making a modest comeback since I'm gainfully employed again. CPF is bad for the wallet......
    Ask not what Flashoholics can do for you, but what can you do for Flashoholics

I`m an oldtimer. Member 54 originally. I learned to (almost) type here. Went by the name KenBar. Later became Badbeams. Then after a computer failure...badbeams2...and even later, after another computer bit the dust...Badbeams3. I remember when David would post...the Surefires were bomb...but most folks had Maglights with upgraded bulbs. The only led`s were the red Photons. The board was split between incandescent lights and silly folks who played with the led`s...the Surfire guy`s tended to look down at the LED folks.

I remember when David moved to Tampa...sold Ford cars. No advertising back then on the boards...folks could talk about whatever. I remember when David announced he was bringing some girl on to help with forum maintenance. No one thought anything about it other than...a girl? Little did we suspect she would one day take over our town.

I remember the 7 LED Ccrane 3 "c" bat light...was the talk of the town on the led side. I still have one...somewhere. Surefire was the last company to adopt LED`s...looks like they are just now starting to accept rechargeable batts.

I remember when one of our members, Peter Gransse, decided to try his hand at manufacturing lights...started the ARC company. Rather expensive little aaa lights.

I lost interest in lights some time back...but still have a little desire to keep up with the latest, brightest, smallest...but no desire to spend as much playing...like I used to. I plan on buying a 18650 light...maybe the ZL...as it seems pretty nice.
    Last edited by Badbeams3; 09-03-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Flashaholic*

I've never been a prolific poster, but I joined pretty early. I think my member number is like 20 or something. Maybe I'll edit it in if I can figure out how to find it ... lol

edit: ya, #20!

Been awhile for me too...my interest in flashlights is still deep...one day we will all move on.
    "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12

I'm still on the look for a better flashlight. CPF is a great place to be.
    Dana

Enlightened

I'm still here, too! Still doing the SHOT Show (booth #541 for 2013). First exhibited at SHOT in 2002, representing EternaLight and sharing my booth with Peter at ARC Flashlight (his first SHOT!).
    Member #1044, thought I'd missed everything! Look what's happened since then! Who would believe we would be putting 9 amps through one LED (SST-90)!

I don't think I count as an old-timer compared to some of you old farts ,but I disappeared for a year due to some crazy issues in my life and have only recently found the stability to return and try and catch up with what I've missed... which... apparently wasn't that much...

Anyway... Good to see a lot of familiar faces in this thread that don't pop up as often as they should. Too many posts of people asking questions - not enough people going the distance to try and break new ground. It's like everyone's become complacent with a stock light of their choosing, and then they just talk about it for hours on end. Everyone should combine to try and bring CPF back to its former glory. All in favor...?

Shao
    Last edited by shao.fu.tzer; 10-31-2012 at 05:32 AM. Reason: grammar

I'm still here and I've been visiting CPF a lot more often lately. I even bought a couple of new lights recently. My collection is a fraction of what it once was. I now only buy lights that I have a real need for so I'm more of a user than a collector.

Flashaholic

I'm still here -- still reading more than posting but ... it is fun to learn. Just getting back into it - last week bought a Nitecore TM15 and a surefire M6lt -- I can't believe how much light comes out of these handheld lights. However nothing will get my Arc LHS' spot as my EDC. I do have a few regrets though, like selling my Spy005 and my Jets22 Blackbird with the hanger...sad. I remember waiting patiently for Mr. Bulk's VIP, Lionheart, Superbabypin, the latest from Don's Aleph system, and when I thought I was a modder by building a Mag85. Those were fun times. I started to lose interest when the little suckers started costing upwards of 500 bucks and money got a little tight. Anyway fun to be back and look at where the flashlight technology has gone.

Quote Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
    I'm still here -- still reading more than posting but ... it is fun to learn. Just getting back into it - last week bought a Nitecore TM15 and a surefire M6lt -- I can't believe how much light comes out of these handheld lights. However nothing will get my Arc LHS' spot as my EDC. I do have a few regrets though, like selling my Spy005 and my Jets22 Blackbird with the hanger...sad. I remember waiting patiently for Mr. Bulk's VIP, Lionheart, Superbabypin, the latest from Don's Aleph system, and when I thought I was a modder by building a Mag85. Those were fun times. I started to lose interest when the little suckers started costing upwards of 500 bucks and money got a little tight. Anyway fun to be back and look at where the flashlight technology has gone.
    Well said!

I always loved the Jets22 Blackbird, had a complete set. Eventually sold it, and wouldn't mind having one again. They were really well done.
    --Scott

There are some bricks on my way to enter the cpf. But as i managed to get in and find my dreamcandle, i hope that i will stay until someone calls me an oldtimer. That might take some time...and then i will wonder about where did you guys go?
    sorry, i did not find this forum earlier!!

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    Well said!

I always loved the Jets22 Blackbird, had a complete set. Eventually sold it, and wouldn't mind having one again. They were really well done.
    me too .. took me awhile to get it if I remember correctly. but I did get it and sold it shortly afterwards.
    then again back then jumped on just about every new/super cool light that came out. sold most of them off way back when...
    still got my original ti McLux PD, ti Surefire, M6 and a Larry light

still got a butt load of super rare Arc flashlights and enough parts to build hundreds of lights. just run out of steam ... got burnt out...
    have though of selling out all my Arc parts to someone with energy to build out all those Arc lights with current electronics/emitters.
    in no hurry .. Arc was the first, that's not changing anytime soon.

Flashaholic*

I was in the bathroom..why? waddaya need?
    originally cpf member #14 write me at gmail.

Flashaholic

I dont come here as often as I used too. I remember waiting for my Mr Bulk VIP and thinking it would be the end all of lights....Still have the VIP and I think it has had one battery in it. The ARC LS did it for me, I loved the form factor, twisty and clicky. I still have a stock clicky and a 5 watt modded by Sengoku, never was able to get the Jets22 Blackbird before he up and disappeared...
    Wife has been downsized out of 2 jobs in the last 3 years and I just dont have the budget for some of these new lights. I have carried a JetBeam Jet III Military for 5 yrs daily at work and it has taken a beating!!! It is starting to not be reliable after so much abuse but the light still looks great. May have to have someone bring it up to speed.
    Nice to see some of the old timers still here...

Bryan

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cy View Post
    me too .. took me awhile to get it if I remember correctly. but I did get it and sold it shortly afterwards.
    then again back then jumped on just about every new/super cool light that came out. sold most of them off way back when...
    still got my original ti McLux PD, ti Surefire, M6 and a Larry light

still got a butt load of super rare Arc flashlights and enough parts to build hundreds of lights. just run out of steam ... got burnt out...
    have though of selling out all my Arc parts to someone with energy to build out all those Arc lights with current electronics/emitters.
    in no hurry .. Arc was the first, that's not changing anytime soon.
    Cy, have any twisty tail caps in ano

Bryan

What defines an old timer?
    I seem to do things in cycles. Something will interst me greatly for a bit, then it'll be something else. Like Darryll said long ago, it's so busy that it's hard to keep up with everything.
    And I've been doing a bit more gaming lately.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Talmadge View Post
    I've never been a prolific poster, but I joined pretty early. I think my member number is like 20 or something. Maybe I'll edit it in if I can figure out how to find it ... lol

How did you find your member number?

Nevermind...I found it. #3523 here

Bryan
    Last edited by phoneguy; 12-16-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Talmadge View Post

Quote Originally Posted by phoneguy View Post
    How did you find your member number?

Nevermind...I found it. #3523 here

Bryan
    Assuming it's the # in front of my username, in the URL of my profile page, I'm #3147.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinjz View Post
    Assuming it's the # in front of my username, in the URL of my profile page, I'm #3147.
    Still the best avatar vid I've seen...........

Cheers Kelly
    Lucas Jackson, "Here, Captain"
    Maliciously destroying municipal property while under the influence, What was that?
    "Cutting the heads off parking meters, Captain."

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314151617181920 LastLast