HDS Systems
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did all the oldtimers go.

I've been here about a decade now, but I've always lurked more than I've posted, because I have so much more to learn than I have to contribute.
    Owner of the first full-on beamshot of The Beast II! (See avatar)
    Kris Cox

*Flashaholic*

Default Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

cyclops... good to hear from you... last time we spoke was at Shot several years ago

Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyurl.com/8zu5t

I'm still around, lurking via RSS feeds. I've posted sporadically in the last couple of years. Keep on truckin' people!!

Quote Originally Posted by cy View Post
    cyclops... good to hear from you... last time we spoke was at Shot several years ago
    I'll be there again in 2012. I already have my arrangements made, for both travel and lodging. Hope to see you there, too.

And, having joined in 2003, I think you qualify as an old-timer, yourself. (quickly getting this post back on topic)
    Kris Cox

Flashaholic*

Just a slightly off topic thought and nothing more --

If you leave the cursor over a user name and look at the bottom of the page you will see a URL that ends in the user name and also a number that should be equivalent to the order in which members joined. If I am correct new members are now in the six digit range so members with numbers in the one, two, or three digit range have been around for just a little while longer. I find that a little more fun than just looking at the Join Date info.
    Last edited by chmsam; 10-10-2011 at 06:50 PM.
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."

Quote Originally Posted by chmsam View Post
    Just a slightly off topic thought and nothing more --

If you leave the cursor over a user name and look at the bottom of the page you will see a URL that ends in the user name and also a number that should be equivalent to the order in which members joined. If I am correct new members are now in the six digit range so members with numbers in the one, two, or three digit range have been around for just a little while longer. I find that a little more fun than just looking at the Join Date info.
    The only problem is that when the board was ported for the first time (that I remember), the member numbers got all jumbled, and they no longer have that relationship. For instance, my number shows as 56 when using the technique you mention, but my actual sequential member number was 116 using the original numbering scheme.
    Kris Cox

I'm still here as well. Mostly lurking and following threads which spark my interest. Most definitely still a flashaholic!

To the OP: I'm glad to see you here. I remember the old days, but was not a member. I've been a flashaholic my whole life. I bought one of the first LED lights available, then modded the heck out of it by adding 5mm LEDs! I resisted joining for many years because of work and family obligations. I notice that the people have changed, the flashlights have changed, but the enthusiasm for flashlights is still here. Hopefully your post will bring some of your friends back!

I doubt if I qualify as an "old timer" but lifes struggles have kept me away. I hope to be around more, still enjoy the lights for sure!
    Reality is usually scoffed at and illusion is usually king. But in the battle for survival of western civilization it will be reality and not illusion or delusion that determines what the future will bring.

I just had my 4 yr. "anniversary" here, and I thought it would be a good time to thank the old-timers for making this place what it is and continuing to contribute to the discussion with their knowledge and expertise. I hope that we see them around for years to come.

-nbp (future old-timer, lol)

Flashaholic*

Just passed 4 years here (joined in Nov.2007.) It doesn't feel like all that long ago.

(Come to think of it,June 2012 will mark 10 years since I graduated high school.)

I am learning from the "old timerz", you guys keep me going. Thank you CPF and thank you America and everyone that has helped us keep CPF alive and well......stay bright all, and happy holidays to each and every one of you!!

I still pop in every now and then to read reviews and stay current with technology. I'd hate to miss a 200 lumen AAA light!

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I just had my 4 yr. "anniversary" here, and I thought it would be a good time to thank the old-timers for making this place what it is and continuing to contribute to the discussion with their knowledge and expertise.
    Quote Originally Posted by AMD64Blondie View Post
    Just passed 4 years here (joined in Nov.2007.)
    Gee, all these '2007' CPFers are really bringing down the neighborhood, lol.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

I'm pretty old, but not ancient like some of the people who joined in 2000

Good to see the old guard still hanging around!

I took a leave of absence after building what I thought was a solid battery of torches. Now I'm hopelessly uneducated in what's now available and find many of my pieces obsolete. It started with my Surefire G2Z (P61 2x123) tailcap malfunction that I couldn't seem to repair. Come to find out the model has been replaced and a replacement tailcap is all but impossible to find. My modified Tigerlight (T11) still takes care of the heavy duty tasks and my Mr. Bulk Lionheart HA3, Longbow Micra, and Inova X5T-HA serve EDC and "in and about" duties. My others, including custom modded, gather dust

--Bob

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by V8TOYTRUCK View Post
    I still pop in every now and then to read reviews and stay current with technology.
    Same here.
    Nowadays, on the occasions when I check back, I often seem to end up saying something to myself on the lines of -- "There's now a ___ that does ___ !"
    This place and its store of really knowledgeable people is such a great resource -- I'd never purchase a light, battery, or charger without first checking to see what is said here about them.
    I do miss some of the oldtimers...
    One is none and two is one. CS-TR

Flashaholic

Nana Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Quote Originally Posted by bjn70 View Post
    Could it be "forum disease"?

After people have been on a forum for awhile, somebody gets into an argument with somebody else, namecalling begins, everybody gets mad and stomps away in disgust, leaving the newbies wondering what just went on. I've seen it in every forum I've been on.
    Since i can not see the names of people (their off the screen) I am aware of only a few. Since I am very secure in whom I am, I take nothing personal in the virtual world called the WWW. Besides, sticks and stones may hurt my bone"s , but names will never hurt me

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Icebreak View Post
    Where did all the oldtimers go?

They are forever bound to the universe of flashlights. Many of them are residing just above the stratosphere of torches where the good photons pass by. As these oldtimers locomote on their appointed ways, occasionally an unusual glimmer from below catches their attention.

They may give a nod or a wordJeff

Very cool!!

Keith

Dont know if I qualify as an old timer, but I joined in 2003 and had lurked in the shadows for quite a while before that. It took McGizmo (Don) releasing his McLux to get me to join. Just had to have one.
    Gretta had a different avatar and name back then. I remember pitching in for the sexy red shoes.
    I have not forgotten CPF, I just have other interests and am looking forward to retiring with lots of lights and batteries.
    Yea, I have a lot of lights.
    I always need one more...

Flashaholic*

I'm not really an old timer, but I suppose I might be getting here. I try to keep up with current things, but really I'm just usually pretty busy. Every 3-6 months I'll spend a few hours reading to make sure I didnt miss anything exceptional.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Last edited by Kestrel; 03-05-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Sssh Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

Ahem.

Oh, and here's a nod to PK:

"I've got a mind like a steel trap, things wander in... and get mangled"
    --Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526
    "I've confused my intentions with my abilities"

Au Re: Where did all the oldtimers go.

~

With all the real ones gone ..... I'm starting to feel like one . (Jan2006)

~
    ~ "She" says ... ... I have ... TooManyGizmos ~

I'm still kicking around! For the most part, I've visited daily for the last 9 years! Wow.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

I won't lie, The passion for it has burned out a bit. I browse around a bit from time to time. I still use flash lights almost every day, but I don't think too much about their specific performance any more, I just need it to work. The gritty details and specifics just don't concern me as much as they used to. As it would turn out, most of the discussion these days will be about discussing the fine details and small differences from light to light. Man there sure are a lot more options out there than there were back when I first joined, pretty good looking options too!

~

PhaserBurn ... WoW ... Daily .......... FOR 9 YEARS ..... WOW ...

That might be some kinda RECORD ... of Attendance ... (NO Sick days claimed)

Greta should give you a LIFETIME Supporter badge for that Loyalty !

(I can only claim 6 years of daily attendance)

~
    Last edited by TooManyGizmos; 03-07-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaserburn View Post
    I'm still kicking around! For the most part, I've visited daily for the last 9 years! Wow.

Still here, and an idiot for not posting more than I do.

...and very happy that my old buddy Phaserburn is still around, too.
    --Scott

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    Still here, and an idiot for not posting more than I do.

...and very happy that my old buddy Phaserburn is still around, too.
    ~

That's not true ...... you're just BUSSIER .... than the rest of us .

(but that's a discusting sounding handle you got)

~

I'm still hanging around here too, although I find it harder to keep up with things as the amount of posts and members keeps going up.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.