Turning Maxpedition M1 into First Aid Kit - suggestions?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
As some of you may have already read, in a ridiculous act of stupidity, I pretty much ruined a brand new M1 waistpack trying to cut the velcro off the front flap. I sewed it up, but after wearing it one night at work, I just don't trust it. So I transfered all my first aid stuff from a pocket in my bailout bag to the M1. Its working out pretty well as a tough n' compact first aid kit. Now I just need to find a good source online to buy supplies. I still have a little room in there. I need compact shears, and some more larger bandages. Any suggestions on where to get FA supplies cheap?

nethiker

Enlightened
I havn't compared prices on first aid supplies, but DrugStore.com is very competative in other areas. Plus the free shipping with $25 or more helps keep the costs down. Good company to deal with.

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
I assembled my own first aid kit that is roughly the same as the Adventure Medical Fundamentals. It cost about the same as the pre-made kit, but my version is easy to refill since I know where to get every item. I even have some spare items due to buying quantities even when only using one or two.

I bought some of the stuff from Walmart and Target. Nexcare seems to be the best brand of basic finger, knuckle and strip bandages as well as larger ones since they seal around the edges. I also like their cloth tape for flexibility and stickiness. I like J&J 2x2 and 4x4 Nu-Gauze pads because they're thicker. I prefer Kling roll gauze but there are other semi-self-adhering brands.

Following are the online sites I purchased from. I have attempted to list some of the items I purchased, but I can't remember them all.

Chinook Medical Gear
best prices on benzoin, bloodstopper, 2nd skin, povidone iodine wipes

National Outdoor Leadership School
best prices on SAM splint, cavit dental repair, irrigation syringe, trauma sheers, tweezers, first aid books

School Health
best for scalpel blades (better than razor blades)

Macgill School Nurse Supplies
best for Coverlet wound closure strips and other Coverlet bandages

Wilderness Medicine
best for gloves, povidone iodine, limited soft goods like Coban

Minimus
best for individual doses of OTC medicines

I hope that helps get you started. I was disappointed that I couldn't find one or two sources to get everything from, but I was looking for specific brands and products.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
eBay has a large number of people that sell supplies.
Make sure you add at least one box of bandaids for kids. It's amazing how talking to a kid and letting him or her pick a neat bandaid will take the scare away.

Since this is CPF make sure you have a red led in your kit. They are great for finding splinters.