Which pc operating system are you using?

Which other operating system are you using other than Windows?

• Total voters

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on this poll.
So, now we know which version of windows are common here.
What about other operating systems?

More than one of these may apply, so multiple choices are enabled. :)

Last edited:

dim

Enlightened
I've recently installed Mepis, a Debian distro, on an older machine (450MHz, 256Mb) that I recently acquired. It's a VAST improvement over the Win98 OS previously installed on it. I've since installed SuSE (dual boot with WinXP) on my laptop. SuSE ROCKS!! SuSE is developed by Novell, a REAL company with REAL developers that get paid REAL money to develop it, not hobbyists and midnight engineers - yet it is free to download. I'm going to, yet again, repartition my drive to give SuSE more room.

dim

carrot

Flashaholic
I run Gentoo Linux and OSX Tiger. Went through Redhat, Mandrake, Mepis, and DamnSmall before settling on Gentoo. Gentoo is the perfect distribution for me. I did test SUSE 8 once; it felt a little weird to me.

It'd have been a lot easier to do a combined poll of all OSes people are running, then the stats would be clearer.
As in: Windows 2K/XP, Windows 9x, Older Windows, Linux (RPM-based), Linux (Deb-based), Linux (other), BSD, Other Unix, Mac OS X, Mac OS Classic

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Which workstation/pc? :)

Got about 5-10 here running various Linux/BSD distros. Although it was a good dream, UnitedLinux would have been a sight to see if the dreams would have ever been realized...

Sincerely,

Shaman

paulr

Flashaholic
Running Fedora Core 4 out of laziness. I really wanna use Gentoo or Ubuntu.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
In regular use I have OS 9.2.2 in addition to Windows. On the computers in the collection, I have, hmm... All versions (almost--1.1 to OS 10.2) of Mac OS, DOS, CP/M, whatever the TRS and C64s each used, Amiga OS, I think that's it. Also have a dual OS computer--DEC Rainbow.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
OSX here (10.4.x) on my lap. I have/use/manage many machines running FreeBSD 4.x/5.x/6.0 and RHEL ES/AS 2.1/3/4 at work and home. Currently at home, I have one FreeBSD 5.4 box and one 6.0 box.

- Chris

Screehopper

Enlightened
Fedora Core 4 and RedHat 7.

I was dual-booting RH7 and Winblows 2000. W2K refuses to boot, while RH7 keeps on going and going.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slackware 10.1. I still have XP under vmware if I want to see whats going on in the syware world and have a 2003 server trial under vmware at the moment to test a couple things.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
dim said:
I've since installed SuSE (dual boot with WinXP) on my laptop. SuSE ROCKS!! SuSE is developed by Novell, a REAL company with REAL developers that get paid REAL money to develop it, not hobbyists and midnight engineers - yet it is free to download. I'm going to, yet again, repartition my drive to give SuSE more room.

dim

Suse is a very nice setup - I run it on one of my computers, and use it to fix windows problems. Suse was a great company BEFORE Novell purchased it. I have experience with Novell S/W, and it really bothered me that they bought it - probably will mess it up over time.