Olympia Products

Thread: UV light for finding where the dog has maid a mess?

Flashaholic

Default UV light for finding where the dog has maid a mess?

Pretty self-explanatory. Any suggestions? I notice that the sandwich shoppe has some UV alephs....

Flashaholic

Default Re: UV light for finding where the dog has maid a mess?

You guys are killing me.... come on.

Try just using a flourescent blacklight.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

$4 fer a blacklight bulb...

Unless you were looking fer a LED flashlight solution...

Flashaholic

Unfortunately, this isn't as easy as it sounds because so many different things are flourescent--like any body fluids for example. Bring your black light with you the next time you stay in a Hotel and you'll see what I mean. Sometimes different fibers in your carpet are flourescent and other times things that are simply white appear to be flourescent.

you can try here, www.UVflashlights.com

there's a chart that will show what wavelength (nm) is best for what type of stuff you are looking to light up. i ordered a few 380nm LEDs cause it looks like the best all around use (i'll be using it to see where my dog made a mess as well)

ppl have used inova x5uv. others have found those cheap made in china, bought on ebay to work well for them.

if you find a uv light that works for you, pls post your results

Who need a UV light, Just use your Nose

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomZ
    you can try here, www.UVflashlights.com

there's a chart that will show what wavelength (nm) is best for what type of stuff you are looking to light up. i ordered a few 380nm LEDs cause it looks like the best all around use (i'll be using it to see where my dog made a mess as well)

ppl have used inova x5uv. others have found those cheap made in china, bought on ebay to work well for them.

if you find a uv light that works for you, pls post your results
    We actually have a bag of 380nm LEDs that had some static damage... They are about 10% bad out of the bag, and 10% or so failure some time after install (for those that appear working). I was going to offer them as a 25 for $10 or something to CPF members for fillding with, since they are too labor intensive to go through

But, 380nm is an excellent wavelength for detecting pet stains and provides good contrast, and even lets you tell the difference between vomit, urine, other, etc once you get an eye for it!

Piers
    Ultraviolet, Infrared, and BloodTracker flashlights
    www.UVflashlights.com

Quote Originally Posted by xenopus

But, 380nm is an excellent wavelength for detecting pet stains and provides good contrast, and even lets you tell the difference between vomit, urine, other, etc once you get an eye for it!

Piers
    If you have blood, vomit, urine, etc. on your carpet....you may have other problems than just needing a UV light.

We actually have a bag of 380nm LEDs that had some static damage... They are about 10% bad out of the bag, and 10% or so failure some time after install (for those that appear working). I was going to offer them as a 25 for $10 or something to CPF members for fillding with, since they are too labor intensive to go through

Piers

i hope those static damage ones were not the ones you sent to Peak LED Solutions??!?? they recieved the package already.
    i'm sure they're not :P (crossing fingers)

thanks for your help Piers with me and Peak Solution
    The early bird gets the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Why would it not be possible to manufacture a flashlight using a SF U2-like design that allows you to switch between different UV LEDs? It would be handy to have one light that could have one position for 400nm, another for 365nm, etc. I'd think a switchable flashlight with four positions would just about cover all the UV range. Just a thought...

RadarGreg
    RadarGreg
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier. If you can read this in the dark, thank a Flashaholic."

Enlightened

Piers

I wouldn't mind picking those up. Send a PM with your PP address, and PP will be sent.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomZ
    i hope those static damage ones were not the ones you sent to Peak LED Solutions??!?? they recieved the package already.
    i'm sure they're not :P (crossing fingers)

thanks for your help Piers with me and Peak Solution
    Ah, no -- definitely not! We ordered new ones, marked the bad ones clearly, and put them away. We were going to ditch them, but then it seemed such
    a waste when I am sure there are good homes for them

Piers!
    www.UVflashlights.com

Quote Originally Posted by RadarGreg
    Why would it not be possible to manufacture a flashlight using a SF U2-like design that allows you to switch between different UV LEDs? It would be handy to have one light that could have one position for 400nm, another for 365nm, etc. I'd think a switchable flashlight with four positions would just about cover all the UV range. Just a thought...

RadarGreg
    Radar:

We have ones that select between up to four wavelengths, with different modes of combinations

Piers
    www.UVflashlights.com

I recently picked one of these up for the same reason, also to find where I had a mouse getting in ...works great, not too expensive http://www.dlsenterprises.citymax.co...07/1709585.htm
    Steve

Flashaholic*

Thanks, this thread made me laugh. I too thought it would be cool to have a black light to use to see where fluids from people or animals has been. I forgot totally about the inexpensive light they sell at walmart for a few bucks that uses a 4 inch tube. I may pick one up next time I am there. I think it uses 4 aa batteries. Of course nothing like having an LED one.

Ok, back to the humor, most blind people I know put a baggie over their hand like you get your groceries packed in at walmart, feel around for it, grab it, turn the bag inside out, tie it off and put it in an outside trash can at the corner or there trashcan at the end of their driveway.

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gea...nova_x5_uv.htm

the X5Ts are good flood lights, good for finding stuff in a room, but has HORRIBLE throw