UV light for finding where the dog has maid a mess?

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Unfortunately, this isn't as easy as it sounds because so many different things are flourescent--like any body fluids for example. Bring your black light with you the next time you stay in a Hotel and you'll see what I mean. Sometimes different fibers in your carpet are flourescent and other times things that are simply white appear to be flourescent.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
you can try here, www.UVflashlights.com

there's a chart that will show what wavelength (nm) is best for what type of stuff you are looking to light up. i ordered a few 380nm LEDs cause it looks like the best all around use (i'll be using it to see where my dog made a mess as well)

ppl have used inova x5uv. others have found those cheap made in china, bought on ebay to work well for them.

if you find a uv light that works for you, pls post your results :)

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
PhantomZ said:
you can try here, www.UVflashlights.com

there's a chart that will show what wavelength (nm) is best for what type of stuff you are looking to light up. i ordered a few 380nm LEDs cause it looks like the best all around use (i'll be using it to see where my dog made a mess as well)

ppl have used inova x5uv. others have found those cheap made in china, bought on ebay to work well for them.

if you find a uv light that works for you, pls post your results :)

We actually have a bag of 380nm LEDs that had some static damage... They are about 10% bad out of the bag, and 10% or so failure some time after install (for those that appear working). I was going to offer them as a 25 for $10 or something to CPF members for fillding with, since they are too labor intensive to go through :)

But, 380nm is an excellent wavelength for detecting pet stains and provides good contrast, and even lets you tell the difference between vomit, urine, other, etc once you get an eye for it!

Piers

LeDfLaShEr

Newly Enlightened
xenopus said:
But, 380nm is an excellent wavelength for detecting pet stains and provides good contrast, and even lets you tell the difference between vomit, urine, other, etc once you get an eye for it!

Piers

If you have blood, vomit, urine, etc. on your carpet....you may have other problems than just needing a UV light. :naughty:

PhantomZ

Enlightened
xenopus said:
We actually have a bag of 380nm LEDs that had some static damage... They are about 10% bad out of the bag, and 10% or so failure some time after install (for those that appear working). I was going to offer them as a 25 for $10 or something to CPF members for fillding with, since they are too labor intensive to go through :)

Piers

i hope those static damage ones were not the ones you sent to Peak LED Solutions??!?? they recieved the package already.
i'm sure they're not :p (crossing fingers)

thanks for your help Piers with me and Peak Solution :)

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Why would it not be possible to manufacture a flashlight using a SF U2-like design that allows you to switch between different UV LEDs? It would be handy to have one light that could have one position for 400nm, another for 365nm, etc. I'd think a switchable flashlight with four positions would just about cover all the UV range. Just a thought...

RadarGreg

lordsaryon

Newly Enlightened
xenopus said:

Piers

I wouldn't mind picking those up. Send a PM with your PP address, and PP will be sent.

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
PhantomZ said:
i hope those static damage ones were not the ones you sent to Peak LED Solutions??!?? they recieved the package already.
i'm sure they're not :p (crossing fingers)

thanks for your help Piers with me and Peak Solution :)

Ah, no -- definitely not! We ordered new ones, marked the bad ones clearly, and put them away. We were going to ditch them, but then it seemed such
a waste when I am sure there are good homes for them :)

Piers!

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
RadarGreg said:
Why would it not be possible to manufacture a flashlight using a SF U2-like design that allows you to switch between different UV LEDs? It would be handy to have one light that could have one position for 400nm, another for 365nm, etc. I'd think a switchable flashlight with four positions would just about cover all the UV range. Just a thought...

RadarGreg

Radar:

We have ones that select between up to four wavelengths, with different modes of combinations :)

Piers

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, this thread made me laugh. I too thought it would be cool to have a black light to use to see where fluids from people or animals has been. I forgot totally about the inexpensive light they sell at walmart for a few bucks that uses a 4 inch tube. I may pick one up next time I am there. I think it uses 4 aa batteries. Of course nothing like having an LED one.

Ok, back to the humor, most blind people I know put a baggie over their hand like you get your groceries packed in at walmart, feel around for it, grab it, turn the bag inside out, tie it off and put it in an outside trash can at the corner or there trashcan at the end of their driveway.