What I do on the weekends. (Pic Intensive) *update*

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Urban Exploration: Exploring abandoned buildings, drains, tunnels and other places where flashaholics get to play.

Some friends introduced me to this property a few months ago, as told to me the school was a technical/high school that was abandoned in the 50's and is remarkably graffiti free for such a long time of sitting empty.

here is a crappy map of the property. (Note: this map is for orientation purposes only and is nowhere near any scale. The property itself is huge, there are three buildings, a baseball field, a football field and a partial junkyard spread around.) I have numbered the pictures and shown where they were taken on the map for further reference. I apologize for the crappy lighting situation, I have never taken pictures at night before (it seemed so much brighter in person!) I am trying to return to take some daytime shots but have been unable to so far. Most of the pictures show the streamlight propolymer in use.
map.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

my gear for this trip. The backpack carried the extra batteries, lights and a little food/water.
pack.jpg

I do drains too but those pictures are really boring.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What I do on the weekends. (Pic Intensive)

I'm thinking you need a bright light with more flood for those photos. Would be handy in many different UE situations as long as you weren't under observation. Or a big flash unit if you plan on taking lots of pics. I'd probably also bring some basic first aid stuff, just in case.

What's boring about draining pics? No good sites on your area?

my name is fake

Enlightened

very cool. looks liek a creepy place though.

BTW, questions:

1) whats that on the topright corner in your gear pic? markers?

2) Is that a Benchmade knife on the bottomright corner?

attowatt

Enlightened

:kewlpics:

Thats pretty cool. Are all these pics taken inside or are some outside at NIGHT pics?

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you have to obtain any special permission before entering these buildings? Aren't you worried about running into someone that may be "camping" out in the buildings?

Curtis

spoonrobot

Enlightened

ABTOMAT said:
I'm thinking you need a bright light with more flood for those photos. Would be handy in many different UE situations as long as you weren't under observation. Or a big flash unit if you plan on taking lots of pics. I'd probably also bring some basic first aid stuff, just in case.

What's boring about draining pics? No good sites on your area?

I realized that very fact the second I saw the pictures. I should have used my X3 or 9P but I was being cheap on batteries.

So far I'm working my way in from the periphery of my town and haven't seen anything too fun. I do expect some cooler stuff the closer I get to town.

spoonrobot

Enlightened

my name is fake said:
1) whats that on the topright corner in your gear pic? markers?

2) Is that a Benchmade knife on the bottomright corner?

1. Those are 123 battery carriers from bugoutgearusa.

2. Nope, it's a black oxide leatherman charge.

Thats pretty cool. Are all these pics taken inside or are some outside at NIGHT pics?

All the pictures are at night, the building has no lighting itself since all the wiring was pulled out for scrap long ago. Check the map to see which pics where taken outside.

Do you have to obtain any special permission before entering these buildings? Aren't you worried about running into someone that may be "camping" out in the buildings?

I imagine if there were an owner I would need permission but all the sites I have visited have been literal ruins so I haven't worried about it. I make a fair about of noise and emit a fair amount of light once I enter a building so anyone who is present is not suprised and so far I have only encounted one person living in an old store who seemed uninterested in me after I told him that no, I was not the police.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

A tri-luxeonIII setup would rock for that. Or a SF L4 to bring out a wall of light!!!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow. I think the discovery channel had some folks who do the urban exploring a few months ago. Man, that has to be creepy. I too would be worried about coming across some folks running a meth lab or something and want your lights or something.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally wouldn't be too worried about running into a meth lab as I would guess that such people would be too paranoid to do business in such an environment.

I will say that when I was younger (I think about the fifth grade) we lived in an area of Houston, TX and there was a store similar to Lowes or The Home Depot called Homer's that closed down. Me and two or three of my friends used to sneak in through the dismantled incenerator at the back of the store, mostly for riding out bikes and skidding like crazy on the smooth floors. My mom used to constantly warn us about what type of people might be hiding in such an abandoned area and what grisly type of things some of those people might be interested in doing to little boys but of course, we never listened.

One day, there were a two police officers waiting for us (or whomever) inside. They weren't too hard on us, just trying to scare us on two fronts - First, on the illegalities of trespassing and second that the Houston homeless population was about the highest in the country. But they didn't do anything to really block our physical access to the place so we let a few days pass and went back to our old ways. Maybe three trips later, my friend went in, then I went in and as my third friend was coming in, a guy grabbed my first friend and acted like he was going to be agressive in some manner, then basically told us not to come back there because not everyone would be quite as nice as him and just give us a warning.

My friend litterally dirtied and wet his pants and we NEVER EVER went back to Homer's again.

I'm sure a MUCH more rural area should be a bit safer but my advice would still be to at minimum, be in a defensive mode when exploring any abandoned property and if you see or hear someone, either retreat or procede assuming they might mean to cause you harm.

And enjoy!
wink2.gif

Looks all kinds of creepy! Kind of reminds me of the movie about the abadnoned psych hospital with David Caruso.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Now that's a cool spare-time activity for a change! :eek:oo:
bernie

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, that's neat! I especially liked that old Ford. The shoe was neat, too. It looked like an old football cleat. Any 5w lights with you? An HID headlamp would be sweet!

What state is that in?

taiji

Enlightened

thanks for sharing. that's definitely a place for a flashaholic. the place reminds me of the Portland Shanghai tunnels. supposedly haunted, it runs through part of downtown under currently running places of business. I was'nt much into flashlight then but if I were I probably would have spoiled the creepiness of the place for the other people by throwing a great wall of light down there.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
A little update:

I went back to the school last month with some friends and found out that the property has actually been sold to someone. Turns out the gentleman who bought the property is a very very eccentric artist who was quite friendly to a male with two females in tow who knocked on his door at 11pm on a sunday night. We talked for some time about the school and his plans and so forth, and then had a bonfire. He also showed me how to get under the school through the boiler room since I told him I had missed that the first time.

fire.jpg

records.jpg

keepout.jpg

gwttingin.jpg

boilerroom.jpg

boiler.jpg

char2.jpg

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I LOVE adventure, I LOVE exploring, I LOVE imagining peoples lives in these places when they were being used productively...Some VERY NICE pics as well...

HOWEVER:

Having worked in the environmental field of "Hazardous Waste Response, Classification, & Disposal" (one of my past lives)...there are so many different hazards (physical, chemical, electrical, etc) that could exist in these sites it isn't funny at all.

Just kicking up asbestos dust can of course cost you your life (and anyone you're with - as well as your family when you take the dust home on your clothing) in the long run.

Stepping in a hazardous chemical and tracking it into your car or home and then having a small child, family member, friend, or pet exposed...no, no, no....no, no, no...Is the "fun" worth it?

I just can't approve of the "hobby" at all...not at all. The rules of hazardous waste investigation, classification, mitigation, & disposal are written in blood (as a result of someone getting hurt or worse - having died from sites like these!).