Foxfury Rook
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MillerMod 2.1 watt single cell driver using a 1.5V Energizer L91 lithium cell.

Default MillerMod 2.1 watt single cell driver using a 1.5V Energizer L91 lithium cell.

I designed a driver for the Fenix that will drive the Lux at 550 mA @ 3.25 volts from a NIMH AA cell. That's right, 1.7+ watts to the Lux. This is almost double the power the stock circuit drives the Lux at. The MM driver draws 1.8+ amps from the cell giving the Fenix a runtime of over an hour with a super bright output. The driver is about 80% efficient. This is very good considering the low voltage of a single NIMH or Lithium 1.5V cell. The driver is well over designed to handle the extra power and will give a lifetime of reliable service.
    Last edited by MillerMods; 06-17-2006 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Added information

Default Re: Hello, It's me again, now with a 1.7 watt Fenix driver.

Sounds very good. I'm sure many would trade the extra runtime to get 75% of the runtime with more brightness.

Do you now have a working prototype?

Why don't you share beamshots of the stock Fenix compared with your mod. . .

Looking forward to your two-stage version of this idea.
    Orb Raw NS (UWOJ), VB-16 (Fourth Edition SSC), Fenix L1T 2.0 Rebel, MTE C2 70601, Liteflux LF2 (SSC P4), Fenix L0P-SE (SSC mod), Amilite Neo T5, Peak Caribbean (Seoul), Jetbeam CL-E 1.2, Fenix L2P (Nekomane CR2 mod), JIL CR2 1.3 (Up), Sam's Element, Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon AA.

Default Re: Hello, It's me again, now with a 1.7 watt Fenix driver.

I have it on a prototype board driving a Lux III. I have leaded components tacked to it, with 3 inductors, and it looks like a mess, but it works. Now it's a matter of ordering the right parts (smaller and one inductor) before it will actually fit in the Fenix. As you can tell by my recent posts, I have been coming up with new circuits very quickly. The reason is because I haven't refined but one of the most recent one's which is the 3 watt li-ion driver (direct drive then boosts). It makes it possible for me to share my findings before I try to produce a bunch of them. If there is enough interest, I will share photo's and send one out for one of the well know CPF members to do third party testing. I should also add, that if anyone has a request for some mod they would like to see for the Fenix, let me know.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Hello, it's me again, now with a 1.7 watt Fenix driver.

Would it be able to handle the AA Li enhanced alkalines ? They sag a lot less than normal alkalines.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryN
    AA Li enhanced alkalines ?
    Lithium enhanced alkalines... what's that?

Your circuits sound very interesting, MillerMods! I look forward to seeing the assembled circuits and testing done on these. People are always in need for small drivers, and there isn't a lot being done by people (at least publicly) lately in that area (IMO).

if you made some for sale, i'd buy one. i edc my fenix (w/nimh) and wouldn't mind having more brightness for slightly less runtime. a ballpark price?
    Fenix 1LP, P2D CE, 1LP Millermod Ed., Lumapower M3, SL Propoly AA, Maglite 2aa LED, LEDBeam, Dorcy Super 1 Watt 3D, and Princeton Tec Apex, EOS, and Yukon HL.

Lithium/Iron Disulfide

I just want to reiderate that the runtime will most likely be around 1 hour with a 2500mAh NIMH cell, unless it is being run at the lower (1 watt level), which would yield about 75% of the original runtime of a stock Fenix. You may have got that, but I just want to be clear.

Flashaholic*

The link did not work for some reason, but yes, it is the energizer AA Li primary cells. Run about 1.6 volts - there is a thread by silverfox on the discharge curve in the electronics section

It will work O.K. with lithium primaries.
    Last edited by MillerMods; 12-16-2005 at 11:37 AM.

I will probably sell these circuits for $25.00 or less depending on peoples interest.
    Last edited by MillerMods; 12-16-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Hello, it's me again, now with a 1.7 watt Fenix driver.

MillerMods,

Sounds like some great ideas there. I would definitely be interested, especially in an evolved version of a Lux III driver with LiIon power. I'm a sucker for rechargeable LiIon and the performance they can deliver. Running a Lux III w/ Lion in that small package would be intersting, but I also like your original proposal for the high current drive to the Lux I w/ 2500mah NIMH. Thumbs up!
    LIGHT TRAVELS AT 186282.397 MILES PER SECOND... ANY FASTER WOULD BE DANGEROUS

Flashaholic*

Miller,
    Now if you could make a pill with those new Luxeon K2 LEDs coming out... maybe a SWAH for 80 lumens at 1.7 watts... yeah, make me a few of those! Once you get the electronics perfected, maybe those K2s will be more obtainable. Sign me up for at least two of those.
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

Wink Re: Hello, it's me again, now with a 1.7 watt Fenix driver.

Hello MillerMods,

I'm chomping at the bit here for your high output NiMH driver. I'd like to see in the Fenix the same potential WOW factor that I experieced when I first saw a U-bin Orb Raw (LiIon DD), which dropped my jaw on the ground HARD. Seems like there's s ton of killer mod ideas for this platform, and thats whats drawing my interest rather than the stock lights performance.

Someone even suggested an incan version (WA 1274 bulb) which could make 400+ lumens with the right power solution. Metal reflector already, eh? Glass lens? Make a ceramic bi-pin socket and go DD to a LiIon battery and *whammo* UltraFenix. I used to be a diehard LED guy (and still am) until incan kind of won me over. Now I just want the best of all worlds.

I'll volunteer to evaluate the high output NiMH driver or flat out just buy one when you have it ready. Paypal on standby.

Good Job!
    LIGHT TRAVELS AT 186282.397 MILES PER SECOND... ANY FASTER WOULD BE DANGEROUS

I finally got some time to take a photo and upload it. Here are 2 Fenix L1P's. The Fenix on the right is using the circuit I designed in the first photo and left in the second. Both are running on fully charged NIMH cells. These shots are with the L1P's about 8 feet from the wall. This mod. really shines (pun intended) when it comes to throw; it makes the Fenix really reach out with it's beam! I am still looking for the right person here on CPF to do comparision testing perhaps, Lunarmodule???.

I'm sure most understand this, but for those that are confused, the reason these photo's are so underexposed is to show the true brightness difference.

Here, I went and took a better one. Oops! My mod is on the left in this one.

O.K., so once the third party review is done, or if you trust me, who is the first taker on one of these circuits? It will be awhile before I work on perfecting the dual battery circuit, so this is what I will make available in the very near future. I believe once this circuit gets some publicity, it will generate much interest. I love this mod, it's really nice to just have a AA to worry about and have such a powerful little light.
    Last edited by MillerMods; 12-19-2005 at 10:21 PM.

....... Sounds great !!! Yes i would certainly trade runtime for more light ..... count me in
    ......... HENDO

Thumbs up Re: Hello, it's me again, now with a 1.7 watt Fenix driver.

Maybe you could also see if Doug (www.flashlightreviews.com) and/or Craig (ledmuseum.com) could do a review for you if you sent in units to them. I think i mentioned in another post i'm all spent out until the new year, but at $25, I would probably pop in for one come that time
    Somy Nex

Quote Originally Posted by Somy Nex
    Maybe you could also see if Doug (www.flashlightreviews.com) and/or Craig (ledmuseum.com) could do a review for you if you sent in units to them. I think i mentioned in another post i'm all spent out until the new year, but at $25, I would probably pop in for one come that time
    I will contact both of them and see what they think, thanks!

Flashaholic*

Geeeeezzzzzz....
    I was supposed to be done with the bicycle helmet light thing with the stock L1P! Alas, after looking at the pictures and pondering my requirements--I NEED two of those!
    Heck, one for the helmet light and the other for another EDC. Then I'll have to do the two-stage mod for high/low so I can get decent runtime when needed.
    Of course, three of those boards driving three SWAH Luxeon K2's in a modified 2D Mag running 12,000mAH NiMH D cells .... 2006 is going to be another interesting year! Not sure if I should thank you for this, Miller...
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

so this would be a drop in mod. Interesting. I wonder if it could fit other 1AA size lights?

Quote Originally Posted by carbine15
    so this would be a drop in mod. Interesting. I wonder if it could fit other 1AA size lights?
    Yes it is a drop in mod for the Fenix. I can open the fenix with out causing any damage and dispite the fact that they use Locktite to keep them closed. The inductor of my circuit is rather large but could be a little smaller, however efficiency would take a little hit. So it would be difficult to say right now without fully exploring all possibilties whether or not it would work in other 1AA lights. Depends on the form factor at hand, do you have any paticular models in mind?
    Last edited by MillerMods; 12-20-2005 at 10:57 AM.

Sure I do have an idea what light, My beloved 0.5w 1AA - AdvancedMart my EDC light. I know it's a cheap POS next to the Fenix, but it's smaller, and if it can be brighter too, that'd be something.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerMods
    Yes it is a drop in mod for the Fenix. I can open the fenix with out causing any damage and dispite the fact that they use Locktite to keep them closed. The inductor of my circuit is rather large but could be a little smaller, however efficiency would take a little hit. So it would be difficult to say right now without fully exploring all possibilties whether or not it would work in other 1AA lights. Depends on the form factor at hand, do you have any paticular models in mind?
    miller, would you be offering a service to open fenix's for us too? or are we on our own?
    Fenix 1LP, P2D CE, 1LP Millermod Ed., Lumapower M3, SL Propoly AA, Maglite 2aa LED, LEDBeam, Dorcy Super 1 Watt 3D, and Princeton Tec Apex, EOS, and Yukon HL.

Quote Originally Posted by peekay331
    miller, would you be offering a service to open fenix's for us too? or are we on our own?
    Yes, I will open them. I will be selling them already modified or I will install the circuit for $35.00 in your Fenix. I won't have an official release of Rev.A for at least a few weeks, but I will hand cut a few for reviews and who ever doesn't mind the slightly unrefined look of a hand cut board. I will post some pictures of what I mean as soon as I get a chance.
    Last edited by MillerMods; 03-21-2006 at 10:22 PM.

Nice work MM! I can do some nice reviews of your mods, with LUX readings and beamshots if you'd like. Just send me a PM if you want to get started.

I've done some additional testing and here are a couple of runtimes I've recorded:

Energizer Lithium L91 = 70 minutes continuous before the current draw from the battery starts to drop off. This closely corrisponds to the level of brightness (drive delivered) of the Lux.

Powerizer 2250 NIMH = 50 minutes continuous before the current draw from the battery starts to drop off. Again, this closely corrisponds to the level of brightness (drive delivered) of the Lux.

The voltage of the Lithium is about .3 volts higher and this does slightly increase the brightness, not a huge wow factor of a difference, but maybe slightly distinguisable.

Someone will be doing a review very soon.

Enlightened

A brighter Fenix! I'm interested.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast