antique christmas lights

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although not a flashlight related topic (hence it's in the wrong forum), I think the topic deserves a sticky for the Christmas Season, so most can see it and remember the goofy X-mas tree lights they may have had.

--dan

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Flashgreenie,

Excellent link...

My wife and I were just talking about the NOMA bubble lights I enjoyed as a child. I told her I was going to try to find some information on them.

You have made my search for information much easier... :)

By the way, I found the lights we had on our tree. They were the NOMA Tulip bubble lights.

Tom

Macaw

Enlightened
Seeing those buble lights brought me back to my childhood. I used to love those things. Seeing them silently bubbling away with christmas music playing in the background gave me the warm and fuzzies. Just the thought still does...
Thsnk you very much for the link flashgreenie.:goodjob:

Last edited:

farmall

Enlightened
I had a set of those paramount oil bubble lites 6 or 8 years ago... I was offered $500.00 for them so I let them go.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Excellent... thanks! My favorite Christmas lights are the ones shown on the very first page of that website. Made out of heavy glass and painted on the inside, they were the first ones I remember having on our house as a child.

Check out Lions Den Antiques where you can purchase many hard to find Christmas lights from years gone by.

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Fascinating site, but I didn't see mention of my favorite old Christmas lighting effect: The 'color wheel', the one that sat on the ground like an ocillating fan and rotated red, orange, green and blue colored pie shaped pieces of a 'pan' in front of a bright bulb, so that it would make a whole area that color.

I can still remember the grinding sound the motor made as it rotated the colors.

There was a brief resurgence of them not too long ago, but by then the magic was gone for me. Wish we'd kept the old one.