Quicksilver V: Is it worth buying?

onthebeam

Enlightened
I've been wanting a variable power light and there seems to be lots of trade-offs in the MANY current VB-16 design variations going around, 3W, 3.5W, 5W, one style for 2 123 batts, and one for a single 123 batt, etc. Enough to make the head spin.

I'm wondering if the Quicksilver V is the best of the bunch? If it's capable of 5 watts, it doesn't seem to make it brighter than 4 watt overdriven versions. It seems from Doug's reviews that the 5 watt model throws less but has a wider overall spread. I haven't really seen any user impressions of it in any detail here.

I'm looking for one with a clicky and it seems that these are now getting closed out. Is it worth buying?

Can anyone shed some light on if the 5 watt is the one that's best to buy? I don't have any 5 watt lights and don't like the idea of a doughnut hole characteristic, or the price, of the surefire U2.

Does anyone know what's the next version improvement of this design, if any? With Britestuff selling their not yet started business on Ebay, and the CPF group buy by Wits End not selling well, I wonder if the end of this light is already upon us, prefering instead to hope to that these very worthy first attempts will lead to an even more improved version across the horizon. Thoughts??

Last edited:

Mike abcd

Enlightened
I've got one of the VB-16 3.5W "2nd gen" ones from Wai On and like it a lot although I've only tried it on primaries so far. It's very white (comparable to my L1P) and has a bit more total output and suprisingly even better throw than my SL PP 4AA Lux. It should be even brighter on 2 x R123s. The beam has a nice spill, nicer than the SL PP. the only flaw is a very noticable ring. The up/down switches are very nice with good tactile feedback and easily switched one level at a time or you can hold them and slew through all the levels in 2-3 seconds. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the tailcap which seems a lot longer than needed. I also opened it up and the switch inside is pretty poor quality with slim tin metal tabs to contact the body and metal ring that screws in to hold the switch and battery spring. I had trouble getting it to work reliably after re-assembly until I bent the tabs just right before screwing it back together.

That said, I think I'm also going to buy a QS V. Why? I don't own a Lux V yet and it should be the brightest (total output) thing I have by a bunch. It probably won't have the highest throw though but that seems to be the nature of the Lux V due to its larger die area. I really, really, really like multiple level lights. It should run better than the VB-16 on an 18650. From what I've seen a multi-level Lux V is a steal at the price.

Do I regret buying the VB-16 considering I'm going to wind up with a QS V? Not really, the VB-16 battery tube setup is really nice and hopefully should be useable on the QS V which probably will have good output on 1 R123. Output on high won't be great but the low level of the VB-16 is roughly 20-30 mA off the battery. Assuming the QS V is similar that should give very long runtime even on 1 R123 on low.

Based on the VB-16 from waion, I suspect the QS V and CPF are also both great lights and WELL worth the price. It was well worth having to deal with 123 "format" cella although I plan to only normally run them in rechargeable configs (R123/18650). The QS V and CPF don't seem to be able to take 2 R123 unlike the VB-16 but should run better on an 18650 due to a lower Vf bin.

Unless these lights stop being made, they probably will get better in future versions. I just don't expect them to get a lot better and they might get a lot more expensive.

...the rambling impressions of a comparative newbie. For reference, I have Nichia modded Dorcy 1AAA, RR 2 AAA, L1P v2.5 (2 stage), VSL PP 4AA Lux, Dorcy 3D and the B-16 3.5W as my references, all bought in the month since I first wandered in here.

I probably should also mention that I was about to buy a U2 until I read about the new insert that prevents an 18650 from fitting. I have little interest in lights that can't run on rechargeables. Some folks have evidently gotten the insert out, while at least one gave up after trying. I'm not comfortable with potentially voiding the warranty on a light that expensive so no U2 for me.

Did I mention, I really, really like multiple level lights? :)

Mike

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just ordered a QS V from Emilion. If the CPF-special was a LuxV and had a clickie I would have ordered that one.
I don't own any LuxVs, but a few LuxIIIs. I really wanted the brigth flood as this is going to be my main utility light. The 4Watt CPF-special is supposed to have monster throw for a 2 cell light if that is your need.

I think too much attention is paid to the very small high output single cell light, since these for me are just for EDC use. And having a HDS already I don't see any further needs in that area. For most other uses a QS V size light is perfect, running on rechargeables lets you have a light with full avalible runtime almost all the time, without having to throw away half depleted cells.

I find lights with adjustable output to be a lot more flexible than single level lights. Usually one doesn't need full brightness and each charge/set of batteries lasts a long time.
I think this might be the best value flashlight on the market at the moment; $55 for a LuxV with variable output and using high capacity rechargeables (18650s), 17670s and normal cr123s is just very nice...

Emilion has alway been very nice to deal with and always gone out of his way to make me a happy customer :)

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of us would like to see these adjustables extended--or extendable--by 1 cell length to accept a pair of 18500 or 150A cells. Compared to the single 18650, these would give you more runtime, more brightness, or both.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody opened one of these babies and found out what bin the lux V inside has?
And incase the bin isn't a good one; is it easy to swap it out with a WWOS or similar great lux V? How would this affect the adjustable levels?

Sverre

E

Emilion

Those QS V shipped out today, are all clickie version, and 2 tubes which means you can run it with 1 x 16340.....Surprise ?

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
NoFair said:
I've just ordered a QS V from Emilion...
Please post a review after you receive the light. I think a lot of people who don't want to pay $270 for a U2 are interested in this light.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woohoo! Thanks Emilion!

I'm going to give a quick review after testing it. I'm going up in the mountains for a while so I might be a little late in posting one... I'm back in the middle of january I think... I'll be enjoying some quality darkness and snow with my lights :)

I'm going to use it with one 18650 cell, but being able to use one R123 is great as well. Being able to use it with 2 Pila 150A cells would be very interesting as well.... I'm not sure this light likes the 8+ Volts coming from 2 Li-ions so I'm not going to try that ;)

Any information on the Luxeons bins found in these lights?

Sverre