S.O.S. Belgium

Belgian Cookiemonster

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
A couple of days ago i was taking my cane corso for a walk when i heard some strange noises in the forest. I always have a 'flash light' with me (just to check if the slippery things i occasionally step into are not poop:grin2: ) and i aim for the noise... unfortunately there was no spot-beam-searchlight so i can only assume it was a deer i heard sprinting away from me...

My search for a new flash light started!

I rememberd something about a maglite so i googled up some things and a few moments later i was browsing the FL-review-site "My God, there are a lot of flashlights!"
Another few minutes later i was browsing the CPForum and it became pretty clear to me that not every FL is just a FL.

I crunched numbers, saw a gazillion different beams and browsed numerous FL-sites. At this moment my mind is set on a Surefire light but i can not choose... But i also reached a point that all the knowledge in the world could not help me. I badly need expert advice!!
E2e - E2defender - C2 - L4 - ... I feel my head is going to explode :help:

Could some of you share your experiences with these lights? And if you really want to be a pita advice me to not buy a surefire but another light :p

Nice forum btw, lots of constructive posts, hardly any wine, ... Make sure it stays this way!

EDIT (FL Checklist):
Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
Hmm, walking my dog and camping/hiking trips

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____I am willing to spend $80-$120.
____I have no limit!

Something between these 2… I'm a big quality fan and quality usually costs money so… My gf wanted to buy me one for Christmas around 100$ but if i see one i like i don't mind spending 100$ myself. 200$ is the absolute limit tho!

3) Length:
____I don't care.
Size doesn't matter, not too big tho, i need to carry it on me every evening so…

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.
____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
Don't know if Alkalines would get the job done? Rechargeable is a bit expensive perhaps?

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.
Throw (distance)------|--------------------------------------Flood/close-up

I like spots! J

But i guess you need a little spillbeam to avoid the peephole-effect?

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.
____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)

One hour minimum

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
____A simple on-off is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?
____I want a metal-bodied light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features Would be nice
J

Kind regards
Erwin, that little Belgian dude
(English is not my native language so i hope this text did not hurt your eyes too much) :devil:

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Welcome indeed!

If you take a look at this thread and perhaps answer a few of the questions, it would help the members suggest a light for your needs.

Get ready for many opinions!!

(Sounds like the Inova "T Series" could fit your needs? I like the T2, but there are indeed numerous torches that will work for you!! Depends on what size, how much money, how much brightness, etc, etc, you want...)

Enjoy these halls!! Please check out some of the rules & policies that are in the menu bar and posted as "stickies" at the top of some of the Forums to make your journey smoother.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Erwin! A Surefire seems too expensive to me just to use it when you go walk with your dog. And the batteries are very expensive over here (I live in Belgium too, haven't seen a CR123 for under 6.5 EUR each). In my opinion it's better to look for a lower cost Luxeon LED flashlight running on common batteries. Fenix L1P ( www.fenixlight.com ) seems to be a good one for you. It's equipped with an R-bin Luxeon I LED (light output is equal to a heavy Maglite 3D), small size, good runtime (about 2 hours on 1 battery) and common battery size (AA, not expensive and widely available over here). I have a few of them for sale (brand new in the box!). You can pick it up in Leuven or Hasselt and you can come to try it before you buy it. Just contact me at
m3xp02t1
in case you're interested.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Erwin and welcome to CPF!

First, like most all of our European members, your English is excellent. We Americans are usually the ones to be caught short by lack of language skills.

As you have discovered, the choices in good flashlights is overwhelming. Hang on to your Euros and credit cards, it's a long ride to the end.

Going with Surefire is pretty much never a wrong choice, although there are others that would suit your need.

On your short list I have an E2E, C2 and L4. The E2E Defender is simply a different body style than the regular E2E. Personal preference there.

My light testing laboratory is late night dog walks in a very rural area. Many critters around and the only light is the moon, if any.

The L4 is the best light for lighting your sidewalk road or trail. What it does not have is long throw for distant spotting. Also, for whatever optical reason, LEDs are just not as good at lighting up a critters eyes as an incandescent bulb. This is the main way to spot animals in the dark. For example, yellow eyes=whitetail deer-OK. Green eyes=mountain lion-fortunately rare.

The E2 or C2 will give you excellent throw. The C2 has more total output and throw, but in the real outdoor world, I can't tell much difference.

The E2E is one of my consistent favorites and gets used a lot for late night walks. Small size is a plus also.

Like I said, no really wrong choices on your list. I know someone here will give you the standard CPF advice: Buy all three! Therefore I will refrain from doing so.

Mark

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Welcome to CPF
wink2.gif

Here are some "best" quality lights to check out.
HDS ~ Quickbeam's review http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/hds_edcu60xr.htm

Surefire A2~ Quickbeam's review http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_a2.htm

Surefire L2~ Quickbeam's review
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l2.htm

Surefire L4~ Quickbeam's review
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l4.htm

Surefire U2~ Quickbeam's review
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_u2.htm

You can use Pila 168S rechargeable batteries in the L4.
You can use either Pila 168A or 168S in the U2. The 168A is larger in diameter than the 168S and the 168A has higher capisity. You can get Pila batteries and charger from J.S. Burly's. http://jsburlys.com/

Iblizz

Newly Enlightened
Hello Erwin

Welcome to CPF. I just wanted to let you and Erasmus know that you can order CR123's for EUR 1.20 at this place: http://www.miracle-store.de/ which is the european distributor of Batterystation.com
They ship to all of europe as far as i know and at a reasonable price.
I hope this info helps :)

Cheers

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF! As the others here have posted along with links, there sure is a LOT of information that one's brain can have system overload! Take your time and hope you find what you're looking for—When you do, Enjoy!

Belgian Cookiemonster

Newly Enlightened
Well thanks for the advice so far!
I guess i still have a lot of reading to do here...

I will probably go for the E2e or C2, batteries will be somewhat of a problem but i can order them online so...

The Fenix would be a nice back up (lol, it starts allready:laughing:) Would it produce enough light for late night walks?
I also read some good stuff about the Arc AAA lights, would it be useful for lighting the trail, and spotting some critters? Or is it a bit too small and just for limited use around the house?

Anyway... on to read more!

Greetz
Erwin

Somy Nex

Enlightened
I would also look at the U2. it has multiple levels, a decent amount/balance of throw and sidespill (on high, it is just a bit less than the SF A2's incandescent lamp for throw), and has the possibility of taking rechargeable batteries with minimal loss of output for a lot of future savings for minimal initial cost.

so you can turn the light down to a dimmer level for close range or less-intensive uses, walking the dog and such, and use the burst of brightness at full level when you hear some deer or whatever around the bushes :)

OpticsHQ has great prices on SF lights (check their threads in the dealers section and groupbuy section) and also have a special expedited shipping upgrade offer going on right now. AW has a thread in the dealer section with rechargeable batteries for sale.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Erwin,

I remember very much how You feel. By then I started with Surefires, but getting the CR123 here is a pita. So I changed to rechargeables.
I have to damit, I personally think for regular use any kind of battery is unsuitable: price, environment, runtime, ...

There is ONE single SF-light that You will end up, the 9N.
imho the best non led-light in their line.
Problem: to get it cheap, You have to order it somewhere in the US, without charger (given You have a suitable one), AND produce Your own battery sticks (which is not a great deal).

Together with a small AA-powered light, this is THE combo!!

Even with 2 batt-sticks for exchange way better than any Mag D Mod, because still smaller and lighter. Easier pocketable as You can put the parts individually wherever there is space.

btw, I see me using a homemade 2AA mulitlevel luxeon light most often now.
These put out way more light than needed for night running (but are too powerful for reading, therefore a lower level would be great)
Anyway, the Fenix surely is a great light, I am also planning to get one by now.

Klaus

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
Hi Erwin,

if you decide for a non-led FL, try the Peli M6 Xenon. you can get it here in EU for about 50-60 €.

regards,

dgish

Newly Enlightened
Let me chime in with another "Welcome to the Board". Lot's of folks here are suffering from the same disease that you have....F.A.S.....Flashlight Aquisition Syndrome. Unfortunately there is no known cure. In light of that fact, let me tell you which light I think will ease your symptoms the best. The Surefire U2 is very versatile with it's six Hall Effect switched brightness levels. On the middle settings it throws an excellent poop avoidance pattern, while the highest setting is excellent for reaching out and spotting a deer/boogeyman. Best of luck in your quest!!!

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Erwin,

Welcome on board and be prepared to spend a lot more than $200 if you keep hanging around here for awhile. :D
I vote for: McLux/Aleph head + E2e body + McE2S (two stage switch) using R123's. :whistle:

Freddy

Kristofg

Enlightened
My personal favourite flashlight is the 1 watt luxeon LED Lenser David from AS adventure stores in Belgium. Costs about €50 but works with one AA battery is light and small, has a long runtime and dc-dc converter.
I have a 3watt version (no name clone) as well which gives more light, but at the price of those idotic expensice A123 photo batteries, so I'm planning on disassembling it for parts one the batteries run out since new batteries cost as much as the entire flashlight.