ArcLS FLuPIC TW0H mod (*lots of pics*)

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
ArcLS FLuPIC (*lots of pics*) updated w/ Cree XR-E

I recently picked up an empty, HA3 ArcLS TSP from cy.

Since there was no converter board, I put in a FLuPIC from goldserve. The FLuPIC is has 2 LDO (low drop out) regulators on board that are PWM'd from the microcontroller. The LDOs are current limited to around 600mA.

For low and medium settings on the menu, only one LDO is active. The low and medium settings can be user selected from 5% to 100% of 600mA (in 5% increments). The high (max) setting turns on both LDOs for a max current of about 1.2A (mine hit 1.3 so my LDOs must be running around 650mA each)

The turned-down reflector is from a Q3. I had previously removed the orange peel and polished it. It's a little long so I have some IMS reflectors coming.

The heatsink is a flattened, solid copper penney.

The emitter is a TW0H.

Heatsink and reflector. FLuPIC is epoxied to the heatsink. IMS SO17 pic at end.

Bexel shots. Note how well the phosphor reflection fills the reflector front view!

Driver installed.

Right MiniPro TW0J, Left ArcLS TW0H (max brightness) (second pic is the same but reduced exposure time)

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Last edited:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks goldserve, those FLuPICs of yours are an easy way to add extra function (and brightness!) to these lights!

Paul

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious, do you run them om primaries or RCR's ?

Notice any difference ?
Anyone ?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the H-bin emitter, I can run it on primaries, but it's not as bright. I use Li-ions in this.

Paul

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an update for this one. I had some Cree XR-Es so.......

This thing is amazingly bright now!

New emitter (AA'd down but not soldered yet).

A look from the business end.

Beamshot: McLuxIII PD UW0J on Left, Cree XR-E on the right (Image is intentionally underexposed to allow for a better comparison)

Since I modified the reflector, the Lux @ 1m figures are not too relevent but here they are anyways (before ~800, after >2000).

Paul

mosport

Enlightened
Very nice results Paul, the die coating fills up the reflector very well!

Was 2000 Lux @ 1m achived on burst mode?

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod... How much did you need to sand down the reflector and how is the "beam" ?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ArcLS FLuPIC (*lots of pics*) updated with Cree XR-E

I had to sand down the base of the reflector a fair bit. The metal ring (reflector cup) of the Cree actually slides into the reflector and the reflector touches the anode/cathode connections (metal film was removed from bottom of reflector).

Although this is a good thrower (~2K Lux hotspot @1m), it does not collimate the XR-E's light overly well because of the shortness of the reflector. This can be seen as a plus or a minus. The quantity of flood/spill is fantastic. It feels like a LuxV.

Beam quality - here is another pic of the beam at a longer exposure (same order as above). You can judge for yourself :) :

Oh, and I forgot to add that using the Cree significantly shortens the "stack + emitter" height. Very, very good news for those modding the ArcLS. :)

Paul

Last edited:

trivergata

Enlightened
I've tried to mod a McR19 for a cree, and got no where near this tight of a beam! This is a IMS17? Wow! How tall is is the reflector after the modding?

Josh

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have measuring tools handy at the moment, but the small end of the reflector has been sanded to remove enough material to allow the XR-E's 6.8mm dia ring to fit through. Probably about 1-1.5mm has been removed so once the legs are snipped that leaves about 9.5mm of reflector length.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Wow, nice mod. I think I'll be trying this next once I get my XR-Es and a suitable host. :D

Is the LED dome as artifacty or imperfect as your macro shots make it look? Or are all those "dimples" just dust particles? And when you say snip off the legs, I assume you meant the legs off of a IMS17 because neither the stock Q3 nor the McR reflectors have legs on them?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
AvroArrow said:
Wow, nice mod. I think I'll be trying this next once I get my XR-Es and a suitable host. :D

Is the LED dome as artifacty or imperfect as your macro shots make it look? Or are all those "dimples" just dust particles? And when you say snip off the legs, I assume you meant the legs off of a IMS17 because neither the stock Q3 nor the McR reflectors have legs on them?

Thanks!

dimples/particles - a bit of both!
snipping the legs - IMS17

Paul

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had to add some new shots. I picked up a cheap aspheric lens and had some fun.

Aspheric lens (bottle cap mounted) with the ArcLS

Ceiling (light saber) beamshot